• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Health Issues

Pondering

Many times Asperger's Syndrome and autism come with other mental, sensory, and/or physical health issues like ADD, ADHD, dyslexia, gut problems, etc. But related to Asperger's or not, just out of curiosity, what other health problems do you have?

OCD, generalized anxiety, type 1 diabetes, and Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Some degree of dyspraxia as well; I have some hard-to-describe and very narrow visual-motor issues/problems. Like, I'm not good at being able to figure out how to transfer someone from a bed to a wheelchair, and I cannot drive anywhere multi-step and unfamiliar without the aid of GPS. Never learned to swim or ride a bike, either, but I did get good at basketball, handwriting, etc. with practice.

Chronic social anxiety, digestion issues, which include hiatal hernia and GERD but happily controlling things very well with little to virtually no medicine.

IBS, GAD, OCD, mild dyslexia, Tourette's, severe dyscalculia and my GP at one point was leaning towards depression but I disagree. I also have asthma, but it never gives me an issue unless I get a bad cold.

I have diverticulitis that was no doubt caused by constant stress and I have asthma and allergies and hypothyroidism. I also have mitral valve prolapse.

Social anxiety, stuttering (although much better than it was), and dyspraxia. Riding a bike is my biggest nightmare!! I've tried, but I think there's no way I'll ever get the hang of it. It's terrifying! Swimming too. Tying knots is also pretty challenging (although I can do shoelaces - I finally learned when I was 7 - any other kind of knot, or even tying a bow in something other than a shoelace, is really hard). Some tasks that require 3D visualisation and a bit of dexterity are beyond me - e.g. getting furniture through a door by turning it a certain way. Buttoning shirts is possible, but it takes me a while - luckily I've always hated formal clothing, so I haven't had to do that since school, except for the odd job interview. But even for job interviews, I don't wear a tie - that's more than my fingers can cope with!

Didn't learn to ride a bike until I was twelve; but I love it and am good at it now.

I had anxiety which meds didn't touch; but therapeutic niacin is doing wonders.

Digestive issues solved by going Paleo. Of course, anxiety does affect the digestive system.

Generalized anxiety disorder, hypothyroidism, allergies, dyscalculia, maybe ADHD (being assessed) and I hope nothing else.

Generalized anxiety, social anxiety, IBS, fibromyalgia, depression, some components of ADHD, some dyspraxia, I cannot read maps in any way, shape and form, directionally challenged, rely on GPS even to get home, even though all you need to do is reverse the way you came. I have to think which is my right versus my left. Alexithymia, emotionally blind, I suppose . Allergies, intention tremors, a degree of dyscalculia and scattered medical problems like carpal tunnel in both wrists, arthritis in both knees, tennis elbow (both), cubital tunnel(both) and a couple more that I can't remember right now.

Oh, I forgot, yes indeed, I suffer IBS. But the flair ups are a lot less than they used to be and it seems that I get a flair up if I am hungry but cannot eat.

ME, (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis),Goiter, Anxiety, and Misophonia.and dyscalculia, GERD, functional scoliosis.

Last edited:
My mom is so confident she can judge how I feel, and how to fix things, that I rarely see a doctor. I haven't been diagnosed with anything other than temporary things like the flu. If I tell her I think something is wrong, she either doesn't take me seriously or blames it on small diet changes or recent activity. What is my family's explanation on why I act the way I do? They have to at least be confused. I'm afraid my constant effort to be normal is actually bad- because people might not believe me.

I think I have: Asperger's, had depression, general anxiety, and the worst- IBS. IBS really ruins things. I probably have other things that I don't understand yet.
I struggle to comprehend a page of words, and since elementary school have no math skills. I'm confused as to why no-one's helped me with ANY problem described above.... I feel so screwed.... This is the true source of all my problems, I'm realizing. I'm scared to say anything for some reason. Not sure what to do.

Depression, alcoholism (sober 29 years), digestive issues, bicuspid aortic valve, an as yet unnamed autoimmune disorder

Social anxiety, generalized anxiety, asthma, migraine, sarcoidosis, juvenile arthritis as a kid, and recurring depressions.

social anxiety, depression (luckily slightly alleviated by self-diagnosis of Aspergers), get outbreaks of eczema frequently (had psoriasis growing up)

Social phobia, OCD, progressive agoraphobia, avoidance personality disorder, depression, anxiety disorder, hypertension, ADHD, eczema, hay fever, hyperhydrosis ........wheeeeeee!!!!...we are cocktails :p

Many times Asperger's Syndrome and autism come with other mental, sensory, and/or physical health issues like ADD, ADHD, dyslexia, gut problems, etc. But related to Asperger's or not, just out of curiosity, what other health problems do you have?
@Pondering Thank you for asking. I was diagnosed with Dysthymic Disorder along with Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level 1, without intellectual impairment (HFA). The diagnosis was established in March of 2016. I am a 46 year old male.
This diagnosis was established via testing by-way-of the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality inventory (second edition), the RF Millon Multiaxial Clinical Inventory (Third Edition), the Adult Autism Spectrum Quotient, and the Cambridge Behavior Scale (4-6 hours of testing).
We have spent almost a year (meeting every three weeks) of therapy addressing the Dysthymic Disorder, a is a type of depression that lasts for at least 2 years. My dysthymia had lasted for about five years. The depression has been moderate. I regard it as this "vague feeling of dread" all the time. It would get worse but not unbearable. It was unbearable for those living with me.
We also scratched the surface of the autism during this time as well. The work continues.
I hope your curiosity is satiated. I would be interested if anyone out there in the community has received the same diagnosis as me. I'd like (am desperate) to chat about your experience.

@Pondering Thank you for asking. I was diagnosed with Dysthymic Disorder along with Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level 1, without intellectual impairment (HFA). The diagnosis was established in March of 2016. I am a 46 year old male.
This diagnosis was established via testing by-way-of the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality inventory (second edition), the RF Millon Multiaxial Clinical Inventory (Third Edition), the Adult Autism Spectrum Quotient, and the Cambridge Behavior Scale (4-6 hours of testing).
We have spent almost a year (meeting every three weeks) of therapy addressing the Dysthymic Disorder, a is a type of depression that lasts for at least 2 years. My dysthymia had lasted for about five years. The depression has been moderate. I regard it as this "vague feeling of dread" all the time. It would get worse but not unbearable. It was unbearable for those living with me.
We also scratched the surface of the autism during this time as well. The work continues.
I hope your curiosity is satiated. I would be interested if anyone out there in the community has received the same diagnosis as me. I'd like (am desperate) to chat about your experience.
Hello George and welcome!
I am a 42 year old female. I am undergoing testing and as my clinical psychologist calls it ' unpackaging' my lifetime issues. I pretty much self diagnosed myself with Asperger's /HFA after reading countless articles, blog entries, books and posts and having 2 children diagnosed on the spectrum.
So far I've only taken the mmpi, and haven't gotten those scores yet. There are a lot of people here that share your experience.
If you could maybe post a new thread, more people would reply.

Depression, generalised anxiety, social anxiety, Multicystic ovaries, hidradenitis suppurativa, hirsutism, stomach ulcer, asthma.

New Threads

Top Bottom