• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Headphones when outside?

Tony Ramirez

Single. True friend's.
V.I.P Member
How many of you listen to music walking outside or just sitting outside at a park?

I can't stand the loud noise those kids screaming, helicopter, sirins and horns. So I use good sound isolation earbuds and drown out with music.

Yes, all the time. There is certain noise that I really can't stand. If I go out anywhere, I always take music and headphones or earplugs.

I'll listen to music on headphones while outside walking, but it's rare. Normally I just wear high fidelity earplugs outside and always when I go to a store of any kind.

Hate things in my ears, although I do wear ear protectors on noisy days when outside gardening or shovelling snow.

I'm glad I do not live in a noisy environment. I do like to walk for many hours in the soft sounds of nature. I have headphones for when it gets really noisy. I've been known to chew up wads of paper and insert into my ears as improvised earplugs. Gotta be careful not to insert too far or you need tweezers to get them out.

I tend to just turn my hearing aids off in noisy environments. I do sometimes listen to music, especially while driving, but usually I'll just hum to myself, especially if I'm really stressed.

I have noise canceling over-ear headphones which I use to play music whenever I go outside alone on foot. I don’t wear them when I’m riding my bike (because situational awareness is a good idea in heavy city traffic) or when I’m in company (because rude).

Never... I prefer to hear the world around me, I also think of it as a safety issue, being aware of sounds that might indicate danger, to be aware... Walk safely people! I don't want to run you over because you were crossing the street without paying attention...

Interestingly, in the photography community some people wear headphones/ear buds with their favourite music while out, they would say that it what inspires them and keeps them motivated...

I do, especially in the city centre, though I don't always listen to music. Sometimes I listen to something called 'silence'. Blessed moments, these are.

When I went out a lot, I aways had my headphones on, but not the big clumpy ones.

In fact, when I was in my birth country, they were a life saver, together with a book, due to having severe social anxiety.

safety issue, being aware of sounds that might indicate danger, to be aware... Walk safely people! I don't want to run you over because you were crossing the street without paying attention...

Such a valid point and one time, I remember being shouted at by a chap and he had every justification in doing so, because I was listening to my music and did not hear him say that the train I was about to enter was not moving! I felt mortified and shaken because of him shouting at me, but since I was in the wrong, I could only apologise.

Sometimes l wish l could do everything with head ear things. Now at my job, l immedately ask them to repeat their order if l listened to a blowout of noise input. Definetly more tolerant of noise now. But this is why l love living alone. l control how quiet it is, and l dim my lights to feel relaxed.

Never... I prefer to hear the world around me, I also think of it as a safety issue, being aware of sounds that might indicate danger, to be aware... Walk safely people! I don't want to run you over because you were crossing the street without paying attention...

Interestingly, in the photography community some people wear headphones/ear buds with their favourite music while out, they would say that it what inspires them and keeps them motivated...
That is the main reason why I wear to not to hear the world around me. I always watch my surroundings

New Threads

Top Bottom