• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Having to sleep with a pillow over my head?

Athelstan

Form the time I was a child, I have had to sleep with a pillow over my head. Does anyone else sleep like this?

Occasionally I do but I have no idea why, I'm not afraid of the dark and it's not noisy in my area.

I do sleep like this very often. One end of the pillow stays under my head and another one is over my head, I hold it with my hand. It blocks most of the noise of the world but what is the best is that it provides nice pressure on my head that I really enjoy!

I used to require it as a child, but for some reason in adulthood I began to feel suffocated by it. Now I often sleep with a hat or hood on my head, or the blanket wrapped over the top of my head, because I find weight on my head to be very calming.

My son, who is not AS but who has some of my traits, always prefers to sleep with pillows and blankets covering his head, and sometimes his plush toys too. When he was a toddler we were afraid he would smother himself, so we uncovered him as soon as he fell asleep. But if he woke up in the night and no pillow or animals, he would get terribly upset.

The pressure and noise blocking (even though it usually isn't noisy) is very pleasing and likely why I sleep like this as well. I also often sit with one arm hanging over my head (arm rests on the top of my head). It's very comfortable.

Nah, but I did love to bury deep in the covers. But I was always concerned I might suffocate, so I left a little breathing tunnel.

Hahaha, no, I don't snore at all, actually. This is how I sit most of the time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 1,060
Ever heard of Temple Grandin? She is autistic and has made a contraption for cows who also appreciate a little pressure on their heads. I appreciate this concept fully. The thing for the cows puts light pressure on their heads so when they're being milked they are calm. Im guessing she developed this from things that worked for her.

The pressure on the head definitely has a calming effect! I discovered it just recently how well it works for me in a stressful situation. During a panic attack it helps me a lot to relax and calm down faster when my husband puts his hands on my head and applies a slight pressure, it feels sooo good. Trying to do it myself had less effect, I noticed.. Unfortunately, it isn't something that can be done in public places without WTF effect. o_O :tonguewink:

Ever heard of Temple Grandin? She is autistic and has made a contraption for cows who also appreciate a little pressure on their heads. I appreciate this concept fully. The thing for the cows puts light pressure on their heads so when they're being milked they are calm. Im guessing she developed this from things that worked for her.
I agree with this theory, but for me, I like the pressure of the pillow against my eyelids, more so than my head. Using a sleeping eye mask, that has sufficient weight (beaded masks), can produce the same effect.

I sleep with earplugs, an eye mask, AND a pillow over my head. I think the point is to keep out as much light and sound as possible.

Not exactly like that, but i do have to have at least a heavy blanket or two all wrapped around me and it has to be up by my chin and cover m ear (I sleep on my side). Basically heavy blankets all over save my face or i can't sleep. Even in summer.

I like to have my head covered when I sleep, but I always use the duvet rather than the pillow, because the pillow keeps falling off. I usually drape my arm over my forehead or eyes if I lie on my back so I get the pressure on my head, but can still breathe.

I read all the comments and there isnts a reason why we do this.
I sleep with a pillow over my head but i sleep on my side so not over my face.
And just before i sleep i rub my legs againts each other and when i do that i know im about to fall asleep.
I really want to know why i do this put a pillow over my head and keep rubing legs on each other till i sleep .i have searched but i coudnlt find any anwsers ???

Form the time I was a child, I have had to sleep with a pillow over my head. Does anyone else sleep like this?
I am a 63 year old self diagnosed Aspie. I sleep with a pillow over my head and my hand tucked under my chin. My theory, for what it's worth, is that maybe it was a fetal position - ear against womb or interior of mother with my hand pinned under chin due to lack of space?

BTW, I also wear ear plugs so I know that the pillow is not for sound. It is for comfort - I like the way it feels over my ear. (I sleep on my side).

I sleep with 5 pillows. One is under my head, one is over my ear, one is snuggled up next to me so that I can pin it against the underside of my chin, one is between my knees, and one is so that my other arm that is out straight is on something soft.

I was a serious thumb sucker when I was a little girl. I'm thinking that maybe having my hand up near my chin is a memory comfort trigger.

On days that I've had too much stimulation I lay on my sofa with a pillow over my head for a bit of time. It has to cover my eyes and my ear so that it is quiet and dark. When I'm in that mode I don't have to have any of the other pillows, just the one under my head and the one on top of it.

My husband is used to it. However, he does not like it when the pillow falls off my head and onto him. What I need is a contraption that will envelop my head with a soft cushion, blot out all noise and light, leave a breathing channel, and be connnected to me somehow so that when I flip over everything just comes with me. :)

I put a pillow on my head as well. I don’t do it for comfort per say. I do it because I feel safer when I do it. I don’t do this if I’m sleeping In the same room as somebody though. Which seems strange.

Not exactly like that, but i do have to have at least a heavy blanket or two all wrapped around me and it has to be up by my chin and cover m ear (I sleep on my side). Basically heavy blankets all over save my face or i can't sleep. Even in summer.
I also can't sleep without covering my ears. I like to sleep sandwiched within pillows if i'm sleeping by myself. Even then I would have one pillow on one side and the person on the other. I also put a smaller pillow around my chest or belly sometimes.

New Threads

Top Bottom