• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Having meltdowns when feeling unwell

Dadamen

As the title says, I have a problem that I can't stand feeling unwell. When I start feeling a little sick or dizzy it soon leads to a meltdown that includes loud screaming and throwing on the floor. Otherwise I rarely have meltdowns. I had a cancer when I was 13 and these meltdowns started after that, so these are maybe not a classic autistic meltdown, but PTSD and panic attacks. Did anyone else have that cause of mwltdowns.

That sounds very tough, but as you say, understandable after a frightening illness at 13. I'm rarely unwell, but despite that, I tend to worry if I ever have a slight pain, that it's something serious. I have to talk myself out of it, and have got better at doing so over the years, I did have some panic attacks about health worries many years ago.

There's been research on this topic, and I found it helpful to learn that a lot of people think they are having symptoms of a serious illness when in fact it's a panic attack, I actually stopped panicking after I found that out. Have you found anything that calms you in this situation?

I'd panic a bit over being unwell if I'd had childhood cancer, it must be a worry. Is it happening all over again? kinda thing.

Just try and eat well, get plenty of rest.

I tend to worry if I ever have a slight pain, that it's something serious.
The worst thing is that I know it is not anything serious, but I can't stand feeling unwell and when some plans brake becuase of that feeling unwell.
I've tried therapy and nothing helps because this happens rarely and comes suddenly, so drugs that are taken continuosly make me feel even worse and drugs that are taken when needed work too slowly to prevent this attack because it comes suddenly.

Feeling unwell doesn't directly cause a meltdown, but if I'm feeling sick, or if I have a migraine, then everything becomes harder and I'm less able to tolerate stress. I'm less able to tolerate sensory discomfort, less able to mask for work, and less able to function in general, I run out of energy fast and all of this is much more likely to lead to a meltdown.

Or it could be a result of PTSD, as you suggest. You need to try to find a way of calming yourself down.
Can PTSD symptoms be present just time to time? I'm fine most days and don't think about cancer most days. Occasionally I remember it and get a bit anxious and a couple of times a year when I don't feel well or get afraid cancer is back because of feeling a lump somewhere in my body I get a panic attack. So, I'm not sure if I fulfill PTSD criteria because symptoms are absent most days.

@Progster Did you say once on some topic that you had a cancer too or I have mixed you and someone other. I know I met more than one person with cancer here.

Can PTSD symptoms be present just time to time? I'm fine most days and don't think about cancer most days. Occasionally I remember it and get a bit anxious and a couple of times a year when I don't feel well or get afraid cancer is back because of feeling a lump somewhere in my body I get a panic attack. So, I'm not sure if I fulfill PTSD criteria because symptoms are absent most days.
My oncologist at the time told me that some people have PTSD from the trauma of diagnosis and having to go through treatment, so yes, I think it can be PTSD. But I also think that having been through that, anxiety over being unwell or a possible recurrence is normal and to be expected. I get anxious too, having scans always makes me feel very anxious. I don't think that people with PTSD have symptoms literally every day - what happens is that something will trigger a flashback when they relive the feelings of that moment and that can cause a panic attack, and that happens on a regular basis.

New Threads

Top Bottom