• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Have you learned anything interesting today?

Rodafina

Hopefully Human
Staff member
V.I.P Member
I’m familiar with and enjoy the info dumps around here, but has anyone come across any info tidbits today? Any small surprises in your day where you learned something?

I learned that some species of owls have asymmetrical ears. I’ve never once heard that before. Fascinating!

1673101060465.jpeg

1673101087671.jpeg

I’m familiar with and enjoy the info dumps around here, but has anyone come across any info tidbits today? Any small surprises in your day where you learned something?
The lady that taught me my trade told me that if you can't learn at least one new thing every day then your life is wasted.

Although I've been letting her down the last few days, binge watching Futurama. :)

[Edit] Forgot to mention, do you know why they always hoot twice? That's how they use sonar to spot movement.

I just made an interesting discovery: that scrunching my eyes, or frowning, corrects my presbyopia. I guess it must change the shape of the eyeball or something.

I still have my first Sony DVD player. Sitting in my closet for some 15 years. I took it out yesterday and just for my own amusement, hooked it up to my tv set using component audio and video cables. This was a DVD player so old that it didn't have any HDMI ports.

I was pleased and surprised that I could get 720p HD resolution using the cables with this very old player that I had only used an "s-video" port to my conventional Sony tv back around the turn of the century. My only regret is that the player cannot play recordable media. But it even has a headphone plug and volume control. Something seldom seen on any current optical device.

In this day and age ya gotta love anything so old that still works as well as the day you bought it. :cool:

Last edited:
Yes, indeed!

In my faith, since covid started, we have what is called: broadcasting updates and the number. Well, this morning number 1 update 2023 came up and so, after many of my faith, being really excited about it, I got to listen and, am thrilled with a change that is taking place from March of this year.

I learnt what Royal Rumble was. I never watched wrestling as a child, and when I first encountered it - well, I did what Louis Theroux did in his documentary about it. I insinuated it was scripted and rather melodramatic (to say the least). To which I was scorned by wrestling fans who told me it was real, and they chastised me saying "You try and do it then." I always found that an annoying stance to take - if you don't like something, supposedly it means you should be able to do it better. No.

Ed

I learned that scraping the binding on a guitar is a lot more fraught with problems than I had initially believed. I didn't think it was easy to begin with.

I've learned I should just do a little at a time. If it takes a week, so be it.

That the memories of good friends exist I had one. They were a good friend. he was in the South Park fandom. It existed and the friend was nice.

Last edited:
That the memories of good friends exist I had one. It was a good friend. It was in the South Park fandom. It existed and it was nice. (Friend used they/it/he + neos, I can edit this if it’s offensive to refer to a person as “it”.
Good post. In a similar vein, I feel like I really learned how to grieve today.

Good post. In a similar vein, I feel like I really learned how to grieve today.
I sometimes still think about it (the friend, not the non human verb, think). And I just realized the double meaning up above in the unedited post, the sentiment of said friend.

I learned the Namibia has the 10th largest coastline in Africa but almost no one lives near the coast. Thats because the Namib Desert hugs the entire coastline.

Last edited:
@mysterionz Everyone should feel comfortable asking for specific pronouns for themselves.
This I agree with unless it’s the infamous attack helicopter or nor/mal offensive jokes towards LGBT ppl (if you know, you know)

edit, another thing I learned: glad ppl here aren’t toxic.

Last edited:
I didn't learn this today. But if you will indulge me...

Years ago, when I was about 7 or 8, my cousin got a chess set for Christmas. We started to play and I quickly picked up the moves and though I found it complicated I found it interesting.

Now, my cousin was super into sports etc. He was very competitive. But he was a terrible loser. He always had to win.

This put me at a disadvantage since I had to learn chess from my opponent. One day I found myself in check against him. I looked at my admittedly poor position in the game. Ran through all the moves and counter moves I could think of, then realised "oh I can just take the piece with the king, problem solved." So I did.

My cousin obviously irritated that he hadn't predicted the move told me that when you are in check, you can't take the piece that put you in check. So I believed him.

Years and years, and many chess games later, I was playing chess on an app. Using the "knowledge" my cousin gave me, I thought I had the computer cornered. Quite an event for me! Until I saw the computer make it's move and take the piece that put it in check!

I was stunned! My cousin had lied to me and for 30 odd years, I had been playing with one arm tied behind my back. I learned you definitely can perform such a move!

The nasty little cheat! :smilecat:

I didn't learn this today. But if you will indulge me...

Years ago, when I was about 7 or 8, my cousin got a chess set for Christmas. We started to play and I quickly picked up the moves and though I found it complicated I found it interesting.

Now, my cousin was super into sports etc. He was very competitive. But he was a terrible loser. He always had to win.

This put me at a disadvantage since I had to learn chess from my opponent. One day I found myself in check against him. I looked at my admittedly poor position in the game. Ran through all the moves and counter moves I could think of, then realised "oh I can just take the piece with the king, problem solved." So I did.

My cousin obviously irritated that he hadn't predicted the move told me that when you are in check, you can't take the piece that put you in check. So I believed him.

Years and years, and many chess games later, I was playing chess on an app. Using the "knowledge" my cousin gave me, I thought I had the computer cornered. Quite an event for me! Until I saw the computer make it's move and take the piece that put it in check!

I was stunned! My cousin had lied to me and for 30 odd years, I had been playing with one arm tied behind my back. I learned you definitely can perform such a move!

The nasty little cheat! :smilecat:
I know nothing about chess :(

New Threads

Top Bottom