• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Have you held on to that childlike wonder as an adult?

Mia

V.I.P Member
While researching various interests on the internet I discover things that interest me a great deal, I become quite excited by these new revelations, they seem to add small pieces to a gigantic puzzle that I have been putting together in understanding the world and life.

One of the reasons I draw for example, is that it reminds me of childhood and how happy I was doing it back then. When I pick up a paintbrush, when I discover something I didn't know, when I go to a new place, when I see an animal I become enthused, excited, even joyous.

Many of the members here seem to have an occupation or interest or hobby that reminds them of childhood, that brings them happiness. What are the things that you do, or want to do that cause you to be happy or excited?

Childlike wonder forever!! :D I love dogs, cats, tangerines, dinosaurs, trains, tea, nature, flowers, stones, storms, pomegranates, finding patterns in languages, primates, bio-energy (chi), German language and culture, and Europesn wild boar!

I believe my enthusiasm is more vibrant, far more intense and my passions more vibrant, more fulfilling than neurotypicals' tends to be.

Children's books that I loved as a child, cats, dogs, horses, tea and cookies (homemade ones) lovely scents, snow, rain, the seashore, and old films.

Rain puddles (for jumping), freshly fallen snow, trees to climb in; nature is still amazing to me. Fairytales and movies from my childhood.

I came across this a while ago, it's an animation for children about insects that migrate around the earth on the air currents. There are billions of them moving about the earth in the summer months. Much like fish migrate in the oceans, insects migrate above us.

Last edited:
As an adult at college, I caught a cold because I was busy playing in the rain and jumping in puddles between classes, got soaked through, then sat in a cold classroom soaking wet.

I still love the same shows from my childhood, and will binge-watch Star Trek whenever it comes on. I will also do the same for certain Anime.

At the optometrist's office, she was looking at my eye with the really bright light, and I couldn't hold back how cool it was that I could see the blood vessels in my own eye when the light shown at certain angles. She acted like I was the only person over the age of 10 that had been that awed by the event.

When I was giving blood at a blood drive, the nurse let me hold the plastic bag with my own blood in it! It was warm and felt very strange to be holding in your hands, blood from your own body.

Holding my own offspring a moment after he emerged from my body (and still connected) was utterly amazing and weird at the same time.

Many things. Holding a puppy, watching birds, watching favourite movies over and over again, re-reading old books such as my (now very dated!) science encyclopedias from when I was 11, looking at objects from my childhood, doing my maps and sketches, taking in the bright colours of nature and the shapes of various trees... life's a never ending experience of the senses!

I still like fluffy clouds in the blue sky.....and stop to look at new bugs:beetle: and plants:seedling: I see....we miss so may things when we don't see the real world around us. Just sitting on a log in the woods :deciduous: for awhile quietly and your ears change you start hearing little scratchy bugs:sunflower::bee::ant:, leaves:mapleleaf: rustling in the breeze, birds :bird: and little animals:mouse:. There is a magic in the woods:herb::deciduous::evergreen: you lose in the bustle of the city life. :eek::runner::car:(( :lorry::truck::bluecar::taxi::bus::minibus::ambulance::fireengine::policecar:

To your question, my answer is YES.

I am known for it, in fact!

And I wouldn't trade it for the world. Why would I want my enjoyment dimmed, my enthusiasms dulled, my appetites crushed?

Doesn't sound like fun.

Music, movies, and books are my life. Ever since I was a child I have loved them. They bring me such joy and comfort. I can disappear from the world around me this way. Also, stuffed animals and toy cars bring me joy. Playing with them is still a thing for me.

Music, movies, and books are my life. Ever since I was a child I have loved them. They bring me such joy and comfort. I can disappear from the world around me this way. Also, stuffed animals and toy cars bring me joy. Playing with them is still a thing for me.
I love the same things. I collect teddy bears, and I have around two thousand books

Definitely! I really like that when I'm excited about something, I'm really, really excited, whether it's a subject or just going out to dinner.

My husband is like this, too. We've both discovered the wonders of going into a toy store as an adult and being able to buy stuff we couldn't buy as kids! (Prices that seemed extortionate age 8 are pretty affordable now :))

EDIT: Almost forgot the most childlike wonder-ful thing about myself-- I LOVE Christmas. With all my heart. I listen to Christmas carols in June. My Christmas season is basically June through January, with a couple months off to recharge (although due to being disorganized, the tree will probably stay up till March). It's only gotten stronger since growing up, I think.

I have the same feeling about Halloween. I love the decorations and the crisp weather, and of coarse candy. I don't dress up any more, however.

Another thing I do related to childhood is cycle every other day. Can't forget the wind on my face with that first bike, and how free and happy it made me.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm amazed at the image of the blood vessels when I have my eyes tested, and liked watching the blood flow into the bag when I was a blood donor (I can't donate now as my veins have collapsed). I love classical music; I can be transfixed by light dancing off water; ducks playing in the water or nestling their heads in their backs when they have their siesta; mottled leaves in Autumn; sunset; the moon; clouds, and the different shades of blue you see in the sky at the same time; bright colours and glitter; kittens, bunnies, puppies etc. the list goes on. I also love knitted cardigans with the cuffs turned up an inch or so, there's something comforting about them; wind blowing in my hair and on my face; light drizzle; pouring rain viewed from inside, bringing back memories of gabardine macs and rain hats, and cyclists in yellow oilskin capes & sou'esters. I love riding on a bus at night, and looking out at a town full of street and house-lights at night.

New Threads

Top Bottom