• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Have you experienced microaggressions?

c4e461

V.I.P Member
Hi – my name is Jolynn Haney. I am a member of AutismForums. As I explained in another post, I am a parent to an adult daughter who is on the spectrum. She has inspired me to do research that can be used to educate the public about autism, particularly about women on the spectrum, and to advocate for fair treatment, acceptance, accommodation, and autism rights in general.

I am currently conducting a study with one of my colleagues - we are both social workers who teach and do research. We are trying to find people who are interested in helping us with this research project.

The purpose of this study is to learn more about how adults on the autism spectrum experience microaggressions.

A microaggression is when others negatively label or judge you because of your autism diagnosis. For example, a person might tell you that you don’t “look” autistic.

We would like to hear about your experiences with microaggressions.

Here is some information you need to know:

· You must be an adult (18 or older)
· You must have an autism diagnosis or identify as being on the autism spectrum.
· To participate, you will complete a 37-question survey.
· It should take about 15-20 minutes to complete the survey.
· Your participation is voluntary.
· Your answers are anonymous and confidential.
· You should have a private area where you can complete the survey online

If you have questions, you can contact me or my colleague:
Jen Cullen [email protected] or Jolynn Haney [email protected]

We will make the results of this study available to you after we complete it.

Please click this link to go to the survey or copy and paste the following link into our browser:

https://widener.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_08LmbJNPA7tndQx

The first page you will see is an informed consent that gives you more detail on the study.

The Widener University Institutional Review Board has approved solicitation for this study.

I hope you will consider taking part in this research. Thanks for your time!
Jolynn

My survey rate is 1 donut per 100 words. Half in advance.

ls.jpg

If you throw in an oversized Apple Fritter (up front - Express Mail) I will also answer the questions in such a way as to support your desired result.

homemade-apple-fritters-everydaydishes_com-H-740x486.jpg

You two sound like cops.

Be careful, next they'll want free coffee refills too ;)

Tried to take that survey and its all about autism people who see me for first time have no clue about my autism i dont wear t-shirt that's saying i have autism so if i got microaggressions its either because how i look or how i talk but again people who show that aggression will have no clue i have autism, most time its strangers by the way.

Tried to take that survey and its all about autism people who see me for first time have no clue about my autism i dont wear t-shirt that's saying i have autism so if i got microaggressions its either because how i look or how i talk but again people who show that aggression will have no clue i have autism, most time its strangers by the way.

This is what I was thinking! Does it mean how they treat you based on your autistic behavior, whether or not it's known that's what it is?

If you throw in an oversized Apple Fritter (up front - Express Mail) I will also answer the questions in such a way as to support your desired result.

View attachment 47684

I don’t have any desired results-part of the joy of doing research is finding out new things about people. I don’t think an oversized apple fritter would fare well in the mail :)

This is what I was thinking! Does it mean how they treat you based on your autistic behavior, whether or not it's known that's what it is?
I think it is how you experience others responding to you - whether they are strangers, acquaintances, or friends. More than likely microaggressions would be experienced from people who know you are on the spectrum. Sort of like microaggressions that LGBT folks experience when people find out they’re gay, trans, bi, etc. I appreciate your comments and interest.

I don’t have any desired results-part of the joy of doing research is finding out new things about people. I don’t think an oversized apple fritter would fare well in the mail :)

Oh they do fine! There is nothing organic in them these days.

I think it is how you experience others responding to you - whether they are strangers, acquaintances, or friends. More than likely microaggressions would be experienced from people who know you are on the spectrum. Sort of like microaggressions that LGBT folks experience when people find out they’re gay, trans, bi, etc. I appreciate your comments and interest.

I usually avoid saying I have a form of autism because people almost immediately will treat you differently. In hindsight almost all my actions were along the lines of "Oh yeah, I totally was acting aspie without even realizing it.", it's weird to see things you do be predictable, like you're not governing your actions as much as ASD is..

But in terms of microaggressions, the younger generation certainly doesn't act so much in the micro as they do the macro. Autism is commonly used as an insult nowadays in those spheres. It's sort of like when "retard" was a common insult, it just replaced that.

The microaggressions don't really annoy me since they're generally out of ignorance more so than they are malevolence. I don't really want the world to accommodate me either, like I'm exceedingly different and incapable. Maybe not everyone on the spectrum feels this way although, it'd be interesting to get everyone's opinion on the matter.

Thank you for your time, effort, and willingness to help us on the spectrum. As someone who has been through grad school, I know how difficult these research projects can be (Master's degree, non thesis (I feel bad about the non thesis part a little bit)). From what I've noticed, you have a PhD, great work! I honestly and deeply respect that! Truly an amazing accomplishment.

There is one thing I'd like to comment on about this survey. Many of the questions seem to assume that other people know that I am on the spectrum. However, diagnosed just about 1 year ago (at 29 years old) and with the advice of my therapist, I have never told anyone about me having Asperger's. This is because I believe that if I told others, they would think I'm trying to manipulate them or get them to feel sorry for me and they might think negatively of them.

My therapist might have been thinking the same thing. There seems to be an internet "craze" or "meme" about having autism (and playing video games obsessively.) I don't want to tell others that I'm on the spectrum because they might think I am making a "meme" or trying very hard to relate to the average teen angst that naturally occurs in very many people. Plus, if I do mention my autism, I do expect to have it written off as "just a meme" or that I was "making excuses.

The conclusion I have come to is to not tell anyone about my diagnosis, so I don't get the negative backlash that I expect form peers, co workers, and bosses. They would think I'm lying. They would judge me and say I'm "making excuses."

Anyway, thank you for this survey. I believe you are honestly trying to help, and want to support you however I can. Thanks for reading this, if you did. Cheers!

New Threads

Top Bottom