1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Featured have you ever attended a protest?

Discussion in 'General Autism Discussion' started by Aspergers_Aspie, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Aspergers_Aspie

Aspergers_Aspie Well-Known Member

2. AngelaS267

AngelaS267 Well-Known Member

Yes. 3 for BLM. They had my adrenaline going.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Misery

Misery Photo-Negative V.I.P Member

I clicked that link and came upon this line: "At least we know where all the idiots will be that day so can avoid the area."

I dont even need to say anything else. That'll do.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Aspergers_Aspie

Aspergers_Aspie Well-Known Member

Where do people get these
    controversial ideas, beliefs?
    It's like some people who say 5g causes virus

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 5
  5. Mia

Mia Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Yes I have, several. Not in recent years though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Au Naturel

Au Naturel Au Naturel

Couple of years ago there was a demonstration in support of free and open science I was in. Not a lot of police action and no counterprotesters.

Every year there is there is the World Naked Bike Ride. Its original purpose was to protest our dependency on fossil fuels for energy. It has expanded to additionally promote bicycle safety and body acceptance. I do that every year. The police did nothing but traffic control, no counter-protests, and zero violence.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  7. Bolletje

Bolletje Overly complicated potato V.I.P Member

I’ve attended a few Pride rallies but since my social anxiety got worse in recent years I stopped.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BrokenBoy

BrokenBoy 戯言使い(Nonsense User)

Pride parades generally aren't protests. Pride parades just have people walking in streets.

9. Raggamuffin

Raggamuffin Well-Known Member

No - and I never will.

Ed

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ezra

Ezra Relax, it's just chaos.

No. As an autistic person I don't like being packed in with a crowd.

The closest I have come to one was at an intersection a couple of days ago, where the old city hall turned into a police station is located. There were a bunch of people laying down in the middle of the street.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ezra

Ezra Relax, it's just chaos.

You mean like these protestors?

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  12. FreeDiver

FreeDiver How long can you hold your breath? V.I.P Member

Now's not a good time, anywhere to be in a protest. The whole world is going mad right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Misery

Misery Photo-Negative V.I.P Member

Two reasons:

1. Internet. People often think that 20 minutes of browsing while on the toilet is better than 100+ years of collective research by actual scientists.

2. Hivemind. If others are doing it, and you join those others, OMG TEY MITE LIEK U!!!1111one
    So those ideas gotten from the bastion of lies known as the internet spreads like wildfire.

This all sounds like a joke, but no, people really are like that.

Heck, I'm going to take a guess that some people join the protests and then dedicate themselves to the "cause" afterwards, despite KNOWING NOTHING AT ALL ABOUT IT BEFOREHAND. They see it, they jump in, THEN they stick to it because those around them are doing so. People are often that desperate to feel included.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: with the whole autism thing, I feel like I dodged a bullet. To think that I could have been.... like that.... *shudder*

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Stardust Parade

Stardust Parade Well-Known Member

No, I think they’re stupid and a waste of time.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sherlock77

Sherlock77 Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I've been to a few protests in my life, mostly as a photographer to document them, as part of my urban photography... I did attend two BLM rallies earlier this year, keeping my distance as much as possible and wearing a mask when necessary, and only using the long zoom lens for my camera...

My tendency (even pre-Covid) is to be observational anyway, often I wander by (or attend specifically) just out of curiosity, I don't always agree, or even dis-agree with the cause, it's just looking for photography moments

But I don't go to very many protests, and I have rarely gone to the front line of any protest, watching and photographing far more from the edges of a crowd, actually most of my favourite protest photos come from the edges of a big crowd, or even after... Here is one example taken long after a rally that had a counter-protest, almost like a comparison between two messages perhaps...

Protest 01.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Au Naturel

Au Naturel Au Naturel

Oh... you mean like all the thimerisol nuts...

17. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

Me too...strictly to photograph this event. People protesting US intervention in Nicaragua and El Salvador supporting the "Contras" 1987. At the Naval Weapons Station, Concord Calif.

Scan1.jpg

Here's where a protester lost both his legs being too close to incoming/outgoing trains. Near that flag was actor Martin Sheen who frequently protests various events. Didn't know until later...or I would have tried to photograph him too.

Veteran, Activist Recalls Losing Legs To Train In Concord Protest

Scan2.jpg

Apparently I wasn't the only person photographing people either.

Scan3.jpg

No riot police there. Just the Marines on government property. No one dared to try to gain entrance into the base. Not this one. Always made me nervous to live so close to this place. A definite nuclear target.

Scan4.jpg

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  18. WildCat

WildCat V.I.P Member

So a bunch of people bunched together without masks to protect from a virus that can lay dormant in the body and be easily spread from person to person causing serious illness? Not only that, but you don't know who has it and it's not like they have to tell you anyways, right? No.

Wait, let me think about it again...nope.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Joshua Aaron

Joshua Aaron ️Autistic Pansexual ️, Chaotic Good

Where are those located?

20. Sherlock77

Sherlock77 Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

That's what a zoom lens is for... :) But the rallies here are fairly small, compared to much larger ones in other cities... No I don't support them...

Anti-Mask 01.jpg

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 2