• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

have you been called odd or eccentric?

I've been called...

Odd, quirky, different, unique, "march to the beat of my own drum", "wired differently", eccentric, weird, strange, "break the mold", "not like everyone else"...the list goes on really.

It seems that no one can deny that there's something radically unusual about me, but no one wants to say the A word...

many times, we are slotted into the 'eccentric' meme. I thought I was just 'unusual' when younger, but that's also 'eccentric' with aging.

My whole family has been considered odd

THE saying goes the people that do not know me call me stranger, those that do call me strange.

Last edited:
Guilty as charged, and I've said it before here

I've always believed in just being myself, even if I'm one of the few people to share my fairly specific special interests, and general approaches to life...

I've been called odd, weird, enigmatic, strange and a lot of other terms. Some were meant as insults, others I tried to take as a form of compliment.

Ed

Yep. Been called that and a lot more. Some complimentary, much not.

One of my favorites was at work, when I made some observation about a work project (math-related) and one of the bosses turned to me and asked, "How does your mind work?" His tone was curious, not derogatory. At the time, I didn't know I was autistic, so I said something like, "I dunno. I see things differently."

My sister once gave me a birthday card in which was written "To the best sister in the world". She had crossed out "best" and written "strangest".

I never really minded it that much, took it as a compliment :)

Last edited:
i was called an alien by every other kid my own age,especially by girls.if encounters like these went awkwardly wrong based on how often i would've encountered them (the girls who would call me alien),i would've avoided them like a ninja.eventually,a girl ended up doing that to me & i utter wrestling-related things as a way to avoidantly take my eyes off of her whenever i saw her.i would've referred to this as the "alien-bomb" being dropped on me.

Last edited:
LOL! If I wrote the things I've been called this would no longer be a family-friendly site. I wish they had been as gentle as "eccentric."

Has anyone here been called odd or eccentric?
full
Only by common, concentric people... ;)

I haven't caught people using those exact words, though I have been called 'different', 'strange' and 'weird'. Also 'Messed Up' but in more colorful language. It can be funny or hurtful deepending on how it is said, but at the end of the day I was always glad to be so. I like who I am and value these differences greatly.

Yes. Even in class, a professor singled me out and called me weird and another called me freakish. :-o

How about "cute in her own way"?
Does that count?

High school appraisal.
That is hard to understand. I can understand cute, but i would be perplexed if someone said, "Cute in her own way...." That must have been confusing!

New Threads

Top Bottom