• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Have any of you had an EEG/ brain scan that determined you had Autism and whatdid the results show ?

SimplyWandering

I recently had an EEG, where they hook you up with nodes to determine a brain pattern ( after being diagnosed with autism when i was a teen).

It showed a wide variation of Theta activity that was noted as being abnormal.

Did anyone else have results like this? please share your experiencs.

No I haven't had an EEG. I was supposed to as part of one of my various diagnoses but the stupid GP decided to block it. I'm seeing a neurologist next month so maybe it's still possible. I'll fill you in with the results if it does happen this time around.

What I can say though is that EEGs or MRIs are to rule out anything else that's organic. That could be tumours, epilepsy, lesions, etc. They're not used to include a diagnosis of autism.

As Southern Discomfort said, EEGs aren't used to diagnose autism, because they can't. If you were told that's why it's for, and why you had it, and if you paid for it, you were shafted.

No I haven't had an EEG. I was supposed to as part of one of my various diagnoses but the stupid GP decided to block it. I'm seeing a neurologist next month so maybe it's still possible. I'll fill you in with the results if it does happen this time around.

What I can say though is that EEGs or MRIs are to rule out anything else that's organic. That could be tumours, epilepsy, lesions, etc. They're not used to include a diagnosis of autism.

I got 1 because in order to continue with a diagnosis where i live you have to be rediagnosed every 4 years. I plan to see a Neurologist this month.

In recent years they have done studies which show EEGs are able to pick up a brain pattern that differs from NT.

I was wondering if the EEG could explain my sensory issues?

That's how I was diagnosed in the first place, and then the idiots up at the Northern General "lost" the results.

Smh @ the NHS! Couldn't organise a piss up in a Brewery.

In recent years they have done studies which show EEGs are able to pick up a brain pattern that differs from NT.

Mmm, but not everyone who is Neurodiverse has autism. Epilepsy for one is a Neurodiverse condition, as is schizophrenia and both can show different waves. So it can show you and the doctors that you have some sort of Neurodiverse condition but not necessarily which one.

Mmm, but not everyone who is Neurodiverse has autism. Epilepsy for one is a Neurodiverse condition, as is schizophrenia and both can show different waves. So it can show you and the doctors that you have some sort of Neurodiverse condition but not necessarily which one.

I should clarify, by pattern that differ I meant Autism vs NT, not other non specific Neurodiverse conditions. I don't mean to say it is a main determinant for those that are on the Spectrum, but rather a backup method after other testing is done. Interestingly enough, there was a study done in children/young adults with ASD that EEGs found more epeleptiforms in those with ASD vs those who had Epilepsy, very interesting to me atleast.

Last edited:
I had one done in 1985 and the results were perfectly normal. I guess they didn't know what to look for back then.

Not completely related, but I've heard stories where people who have very strong talents had been given some sort of brain scan while they were exercising their talent eg. a math genius having a scan while doing hard math problems, and found that certain parts of their brain known for speed and effortlessness had taken over, and other parts of the brain adapted to allow that, and this allowed for the amazing performance. When they tested an average guy, the brain had to work a lot harder because his brain wasn't as adapted to the task. That was just one case, and everyone is different, but I found it interesting. I don't think you must have an ASD to do something like that, but a fair number of people on the spectrum do have a special interest that can in some cases lead them to become experts.

Maybe one day we'll have the knowledge and experience to find electrical patterns and connections in the brain suggestive of autism or other mental disorders. The more information we have, both scientific and observational, the better we may be able to treat these. The trouble is finding a treatment that works for the person but maybe we'll make strides in that too eventually. Perhaps we'll be able to figure out how talents and aversion happen, and understand how the brain really works one day. If a computer is slow you check hard drive, processor speed, ram, operating system and files etc. and that's of course mostly down to hard science. I'm optimistic anyway that in a few centuries perhaps we'll start to develop that kind of understanding of the brain, so that at least we'll have answers if not solutions. But I really have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm just being hopeful...

Last edited:

I have a very distant Cousin on Mum's side who's Schizophrenic.

His sister (Our Margaret) and her husband have basically took over raising his teenage son.

EEG’s can’t actually be used to diagnose autism, neither can CT’s or MRI’s.

I have a very distant Cousin on Mum's side who's Schizophrenic.

His sister (Our Margaret) and her husband have basically took over raising his teenage son.

That sucks. Schizophrenia can be really debilitating condition. I have a friend with schizoaffective disorder, he's really nice and happy. But he suffered a blip and his girlfriend left him because of that, she apparently had mental ill health too and knew friends with mental health problems but she couldn't handle his. Quite pathetic really. He deserves so much more.

New Threads

Top Bottom