• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Have any autistic people on this forum created a product?

SimplyWandering

I was wondering if anyone autistic on this forum has created a product?

I am trying , but my executive dysfunction makes it difficult to map out all the things I have to do to get it to the product line.

Any stories or suggestions would be useful. I’ve already looked in to designing, it’s a fashion item.

I'm not sure if it counts as production but I took part in organising art and craft exhibition for our studio - it included both simple things like printing, less easy like designing pages but also making benches and tables from recycled wood, models of things and spaces and similar. Everyone had individual parts to finish, mine including 1 m x 1m model of a space, some benches, printing, collection of materials etc.

I was always bad with finishing things I started, especially if the task would take much effort and patience. I would also often misplace tools and notes, at some point even risk assessment I had to prepare. I dealt with it by:

1. Making a list of things that had to be done. Then the making of a list of things that had to be done for each of the points to be finished.

2. By ensuring that I spent at least 5 minutes every day on the list, even if only to think about where to get specific materials from or to put some changes in the initial design. Even 5 minutes every day gives a lot if done regularly and allows you to learn to easily start tasks.

3. By making sure I always put tools and documents in the same places. Every time. Of course, it didn't fully work out. I still lost some and had to look for others but it helped if at the end of work I put at least some in the same corner.

4. By making a budget and not exceeding it. I have a habit of picking up anything that looks the least bit interesting in material shops - making a budget and a list of things helped with that a bit.

5. Drinking water - simple but if you don't drink enough your brain works even worse. While we're at it, make sure to eat something. I would put my phone to ring at specific times for meals or water.

6. By putting on a timer every time I would start a task - so-called Pomodoro technique. It worked for me because my brain doesn't like to be told what to do, so I would keep working on stuff to spite the time. Funny.

I hope you can find the above at least a bit helpful. Good luck with your product!

Designing, indeed.

I spent a few years around the turn of the century creating metaphorical product websites for computer games.

Where the interface of the website visually reflected some aspect of the game itself. Somewhat unusual for the times back then. But then bandwidth considerations were still very much part of the design process.

Fun times, but like anything really good they didn't last. :oops:

Last edited:
Will someone please invent an airtight guacamole storage container for me?! I hate trying to smash plastic wrap on top of the guacamole to prevent it from turning brown! Hubby is addicted to it so I make it almost every day.

I was in design and manufacturing.
I could say with some certainty that every one of you has come in contact with something I was involved in.

don't you add lemon juice to it, doesn't that work to prevent browning?

No, extra lemon or lime juice just makes it sour and ruins the flavor. (I prefer lime juice over lemon.) You have to seal it off from air contact to keep it green. I awkwardly smash plastic wrap on top of the surface of the guacamole, starting in the center of the bowl and working my way toward the edges of the bowl, pushing out all the air so the plastic is flush against the guacamole.

Will someone please invent an airtight guacamole storage container for me?! I hate trying to smash plastic wrap on top of the guacamole to prevent it from turning brown! Hubby is addicted to it so I make it almost every day.

Good point. I've been on a guac binge lately and the damn stuff lasts only so long in a plastic tub in the fridge. Even when periodically "burping" the container. Then at some point the taste just goes off a cliff. :(

Too bad someone couldn't make a small vacuum pump to suck all the air out of the top of such a container.

I made up a board game years ago, but never did anything with it.

And I don't like Guacamole :)

Good point. I've been on a guac binge lately and the damn stuff lasts only so long in a plastic tub in the fridge. Even when periodically "burping" the container. Then at some point the taste just goes off a cliff. :(

Too bad someone couldn't make a small vacuum pump to suck all the air out of the top of such a container.
I have such an item.
Mine is called a Foodsaver.

I have such an item.
Mine is called a Foodsaver.

You mean the kind that uses cellophane bags to seal food? That's not what I mean.

Close, but no cigar. At least not for guacamole.

Though perhaps NASA might disagree. :p

You mean the kind that uses cellophane to seal food? That's not what I mean.
Mine can also vac down special containers, so no, it's not limited to just the bags or roll stock.

Mine can also vac down special containers, so no, it's not limited to just the bags or roll stock.

Interesting. Have any pics of the hard containers?

Do they have a valve at the top ?

As a kid I had a prized Mattel Vacuform device. Loved sucking the air out of stuff...lol. Just not anything edible. :oops:

20191020_130240.jpg

The unit itself has a storage area for roll waffle bag material and has a cutter as a part of it too.

Vac sealers take up too much room and I'd rarely use it. And I'm really trying to reduce my use of plastic, in all forms.

Does anyone remember those push-up ice cream pops from the 1960s or 1970s? A cylinder through which you pushed the ice cream up to the top so you could eat it. I'm thinking something along those lines. You could push the guac up to the top and seal it off with a lid of some sort.

Vac sealers take up too much room and I'd rarely use it. And I'm really trying to reduce my use of plastic, in all forms.

Does anyone remember those push-up ice cream pops from the 1960s or 1970s? A cylinder through which you pushed the ice cream up to the top so you could eat it. I'm thinking something along those lines. You could push the guac up to the top and seal it off with a lid of some sort.
Wouldn't that require the use of plastic? :p

New Threads

Top Bottom