• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hatred and hurt, why so prevalent?

Keigan

Restless Mind
V.I.P Member
I feel i’m A decent person, I try to be fair and respectful to others yet it does not seem to be valued.

Repeatedly, it seems that society just can’t see the good in others. That people only recognize the drama and hatred, through their own hurt.

As a society, have we moved beyond sustainability towards only hatred toward others?

IMO a socially competitive society inevitably fosters predatory instincts.

Something further enabled by automation, which while intended to make work easier has just made for more work in less time. Increasing both competition, and thus predatory behavior.

Everybody is at everyone's throats all too often and for no good reason. Whether they become productive or not. :eek:

IMO a socially competitive society inevitably fosters predatory instincts.

Something further enabled by automation, which while intended to make work easier has just made for more work in less time. Increasing both competition, and thus predatory behavior.

Everybody is at everyone's throats all too often and for no good reason. Whether they become productive or not. :eek:

The rules create/encourage the behaviour

I feel i’m A decent person, I try to be fair and respectful to others yet it does not seem to be valued.

Repeatedly, it seems that society just can’t see the good in others. That people only recognize the drama and hatred, through their own hurt.

As a society, have we moved beyond sustainability towards only hatred toward others?

It is because parents, instructors, media and societal members push the importance of academic and occupational high achievement, and unhealthy confidence, power and vanity, over good to great character traits.

Last edited:
I think hatred and differences are easy to see, always on the news. To find the good is harder and takes more effort... and is more rare (IMO).

People are lazy

Well, "most people" are always trying to out do each other. Anything from nicest yard to best wardrobe. Anything you can think off. It is called "keeping up with the Jones's".

After WW2, society shifted from the ore traditional Collectivist attitude (the needs of the many) to being an Individualistic society (the needs of me). Being self-serving is actually somewhat of a competition and if you want to keep up and make sure your needs are met, you can't rely on others, you must rely on yourself.

Often, that means stepping on others because others have stepped on you. Even with an intact sense of "empathy" a person first views another person as an object rather than a human being like them, and then it's a lot easier to do whatever you want to them without feeling too bad about it.

Unfortunately, this attitude has come to be seen as a virtue with the whole Gordon Gekko "Greed is good" concept. I strongly suspect the wanton hatred of those who do not serve our purposes is a product of the competitive nature fostered by that attitude. God bless Capitalism as a set of social values and mores instead of just an economic system.

Society started out being based on hatred toward others and "protecting one's own". That was needed for survival in previous centuries, but now it isn't necessary. I think the prevailing attitude hasn't really moved away from that. Just the definition of "one's own" has changed. I think it's an NT thing.

I feel this, too. Over the last couple years, I realized it was just unsafe to say I was disabled. I think capitlalistic health care makes it worse. People get mad at the disabled for having care!

I feel this, too. Over the last couple years, I realized it was just unsafe to say I was disabled. I think capitlalistic health care makes it worse. People get mad at the disabled for having care!

And yes, especially if one is a guy. It is forbidden to say that d word. If one spoke up about that, societal members may think, "How dare they be disabled. Show your care by going to work and being a real man." Care can be shown in many ways. Unfortunately, society does not care to see that.

Such people are angry and miserable and that is what they have to share :)

After WW2, society shifted from the ore traditional Collectivist attitude (the needs of the many) to being an Individualistic society (the needs of me). Being self-serving is actually somewhat of a competition and if you want to keep up and make sure your needs are met, you can't rely on others, you must rely on yourself.

I have to disagree because it is only recently that individuals are released from the curse of relentless conformity that was the hallmark of Collectivism. And it's not like anyone was taken care of, either; FDR created the US system of "safety net" because prior to that time, there was basically nothing; the old and young and challenged all starved and died without much help.

There is an age old question (debate) about whether people are inherently good or evil.
I fall on the "evil" side of the debate, but that is a personal opinion. The question at hand is "why is there so much hatred..." ; if your expectation is that people are "bad/evil" the answer is self-evident.

That some people are good despite their inherent inclinations is the amazing thing about humanity.

New Threads

Top Bottom