• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hassle With Apple - Replacing Your iPhone Battery

What can I say "It's Apple". They get away with this garbage all the time. That's why I don't like, nor buy Apple products.

If the battery's knackered, the phone's probably out of warranty anyway and needs either an upgrade or replacement.

Go and have a word with whoever sold you the Iphone.

What I find disturbing is that minor exterior cosmetic wear and tear is simply an unavoidable exposure to any mobile device along with finite rechargeable battery power. No matter how expensive it may be or how it is engineered.

Products and completed operations liability concerns are understandable on Apple's part, but only up to a point over serious repairs. In this instance they seemed to be used as an excuse to empty their customers' pockets over the replacement of a mere battery. Charging them more for repairs that aren't truly required just to replace a battery. Something most of us at one time or another have all been through this sort of thing with shady auto mechanics. Not to mention Apple's last scandal over how they got caught throttling older iPhones for the obvious purpose.

It's no way to treat your customers. Especially given their traditional cult following. Then again, maybe Apple is trying to dump that cult following in favor of wealthier dupes willing to pay more for the slightest thing that goes wrong with their iPhone. You have to wonder...:rolleyes:

As if savvy consumers are being herded to a slaughterhouse to make way for oblivious consumers weaned on a mandatory upgrade process, regardless of the increasing sums of money each successive version costs. Don't question why, just upgrade that puppy! Yeah, right. o_O

"Esto es un robo! Manos arriba!" :eek:

Small wonder I still don't even own a smart/cell phone. If I'm to be robbed, let it be from a petty criminal. Not a corporate giant.

Last edited:
That was certainly not my experience a few weeks ago. I took my iPhone in as it was three years old and eligible for a cheap battery replacement. I also complained that I was having occasional issues with the screen not responding to touch. I didn’t mention that could be software related as it’s been permanently jailbroken, or that I work in construction and the phone has been well used and dropped a few times. After she ran diagnostics she confirmed the battery had been charged around 1400 times and needed replacing, and although there was no fault on the motherboard, what I had described could be the beginning of touch disease where two touch chips need replacing. So, I was prepared to pay £25 for battery replacement and £150 for chips replaced, the lady took my phone away and after 10 minutes came back. She said as I had bought it from that shop they were happy to do a straight swap with a refurbished phone with a new battery and a 3 month warranty for free! I accepted, and the new phone was is mint condition, the battery difference is fantastic and no more touch issues. I’m very happy with Apple for replacing a battered three year old phone and giving me another 2 or 3 years before I need to consider an upgrade.

That was certainly not my experience a few weeks ago. I took my iPhone in as it was three years old and eligible for a cheap battery replacement. I also complained that I was having occasional issues with the screen not responding to touch. I didn’t mention that could be software related as it’s been permanently jailbroken, or that I work in construction and the phone has been well used and dropped a few times. After she ran diagnostics she confirmed the battery had been charged around 1400 times and needed replacing, and although there was no fault on the motherboard, what I had described could be the beginning of touch disease where two touch chips need replacing. So, I was prepared to pay £25 for battery replacement and £150 for chips replaced, the lady took my phone away and after 10 minutes came back. She said as I had bought it from that shop they were happy to do a straight swap with a refurbished phone with a new battery and a 3 month warranty for free! I accepted, and the new phone was is mint condition, the battery difference is fantastic and no more touch issues. I’m very happy with Apple for replacing a battered three year old phone and giving me another 2 or 3 years before I need to consider an upgrade.

Perhaps in the scheme of things you were just extraordinarily lucky. It happens on occasion. Or perhaps Apple was still reeling from their throttling scandal when you brought your phone in.

Let's just hope Apple corporate doesn't find out. ;)

Then again perhaps in the big picture there really is a weird combination of those employees trying to rob customers versus those who are willing to fairly help them. Though that in itself still reflects a problem on Apple's part if their repair operations aren't all on the same page, apart from their most recent scandal. :oops:

I just personally find it all very disappointing. I used to think Apple was of a somewhat different corporate mindset. But it appears if they ever really were, that they aren't any more.

Last edited:
Perhaps in the scheme of things you were just extraordinarily lucky. It happens on occasion. Or perhaps Apple was still reeling from their throttling scandal when you brought your phone in.

Then again perhaps in the big picture there really is a weird combination of those employees trying to rob customers versus those who are willing to fairly help them. Though that in itself still reflects a problem on Apple's part if their repair operations aren't all on the same page, apart from their most recent scandal. :oops:

I just personally find it all very disappointing. I used to think Apple was of a somewhat different corporate mindset. But it appears if they ever really were, that they aren't any more.

What also gripes me is that Apple fans are almost as bad as Sony zealots and Nintendoids for blind devotion to their brand, in the eyes of their "fanboys" they can do no wrong.

A business won’t make more profit if they sold one off purchase products built to last.

The tumble dryer we bought on getting wed almost thirty years ago only died approx two years ago.
It was a drum, a belt, thermostat, tiny electronics board and casing.

Okay, some of the casing had duct tape on it :) but the replacement parts were easy enough to pick up really cheaply.

Just think how much money hotpoint haven’t got from us over a 25-30 year period.
Doesn’t make much sense business wise, (to make products that last)

My daughter would think nothing of just replacing her phone, no questions asked. Not being without her phone is priority.

I’d want to know why this piece of equipment costing hundreds and hundreds of pounds wasn’t working!!
And what they were going to do about it.

My daughter would think nothing of just replacing her phone, no questions asked. Not being without her phone is priority.

Indeed. That's a major reason why I bought into T-Mobile stock and made some good money last year.

- The changing perception of elastic demand. Those who perceive they can't live without a portable phone and their service provider. Much like those who think they must have a 4x4 SUV. Good capitalists exploit demand. Great capitalists invent it.

Yet here I am. It's 2018 and I still don't have a cellphone, just a wireless landline. No SUV either. :p

Last edited:

Perhaps I was lucky, or perhaps it was because I didn’t go in there with an attitude and treat the staff like crap. I think a friendly, cooperative and respectful mindset is more conducive to getting a result. I also went with my 12 year old daughter because I get stressed and easily overwhelmed in big shops, and the staff chatted with her about our upcoming holiday while doing the diagnostic tests.

I would like to think the sales assistant thought we seemed like decent people of modest means, who respected her and she went out of her way to see what she could do for us. Even if she didn’t, when she took my phone away I had my bank card out and she had told me the cost. When she came back she said “put your card away I’ve got some good news for you!”

I don’t know about Apple having a different business mindset, they are out to make a profit like every other company. There is no compulsion to buy from them, nothing they or any other business makes is perfect, you make your choice and you pay your money!

Crap like dealing with Apple makes me want to go off-grid, dump the cell and land line phones, set up solar and wind power sources for our house and barn, and build a smoke house to preserve meat and a large greenhouse to grow produce year round. I already raise chickens for their eggs and grow a lot of our food because I have the free time to do so since I retired. I have an expensive luxury car which I rarely drive in favor of my 1999 Toyota Pre-runner truck with the cracked windshield and rust on the hood. Who the heck cares what I drive other than me? I never thought I'd identify with those gloom and doom "prepper" people on TV, but I've become very disillusioned about society's greed and dishonesty in recent years.

What also gripes me is that Apple fans are almost as bad as Sony zealots and Nintendoids for blind devotion to their brand, in the eyes of their "fanboys" they can do no wrong.

That sounds like a great attitude to have considering you are trying to get a job selling phones! I’m sure your potential customers will love hearing all about your personal biases and being addressed as an Apple fanboy, Sony zealot or Nokia nincompoop as they peruse the options available. :D

Crap like dealing with Apple makes me want to go off-grid, dump the cell and land line phones, set up solar and wind power sources for our house and barn, and build a smoke house to preserve meat and a large greenhouse to grow produce year round. I already raise chickens for their eggs and grow a lot of our food because I have the free time to do so since I retired. I have an expensive luxury car which I rarely drive in favor of my 1999 Toyota Pre-runner truck with the cracked windshield and rust on the hood. Who the heck cares what I drive other than me? I never thought I'd identify with those gloom and doom "prepper" people on TV, but I've become very disillusioned about society's greed and dishonesty in recent years.

What’s stopping you doing that if it’s what you want to do?

Things that delay my escape from modern life include a husband who has another couple of years of work at a high pressure job before he will retire, children and grandchildren obligations, volunteer work as a part time tutor, and uncertainty if we are going to stay in the deep south year round or live in Mexico or Maine part time in our final years. Climate change is a consideration due to my personal experience with hurricanes. It's true that I could hire someone to build me a smokehouse and greenhouse or put up some solar panels and a windmill but my husband and I like to do those things for ourselves when he has time. They are huge building projects. We still have a child in college so certain traditional amenities need to remain in place at our home for him, too. But my day will come.

That’s quite a bit stopping you! It sounds like a great plan though and not dissimilar to my own. When the kids have gone and we are retired the house will be sold, and we will be off somewhere remote in the Lake District.

To be honest, when I’m at work I find myself increasingly daydreaming about it. Growing veg, hillwalking, and pottering around a cottage with no cell phone reception or WiFi. No neighbors or people in sight just the sounds of nature and the odd sheep wandering by, I’d be in heaven! :)

Your day will come, and so will mine. Anyway, sorry Judge, I didn’t mean to divert your Apple bashing thread! :oops:

Anyway, sorry Judge, I didn’t mean to divert your Apple bashing thread! :oops:

No worries. ;)

It isn't with any pleasure I do so. Truth is, had their throttling scandal not occurred, I might have not even bothered passing on this article for people here to read.

But it's interesting to see the possibility that with different generations we have different expectations when it comes to goods and services rendered. And I've always taken disappointment rather hard, no matter what it pertained to. Especially given that I used to be an Apple shareholder as well. These kind of issues deeply disappoint me relative to what I thought the company was about- or perhaps used to be in the past.

I can understand the idea of any company developing strategies to encourage the sale of new and perhaps improved products. However what I can never understand is a company willing to sabotage the functionality of their own older products just to promote the sale of newer ones. But then perhaps I'm different than with most people in that I don't tend to "marry" brand names any more than I would an idea. LOL...except perhaps Canon cameras. But even then if the brand fails me somehow, I'll seek such goods and services elsewhere.

Momma raised her boy to be a "slim customer". :cool:

Last edited:
That’s quite a bit stopping you! It sounds like a great plan though and not dissimilar to my own. When the kids have gone and we are retired the house will be sold, and we will be off somewhere remote in the Lake District.

To be honest, when I’m at work I find myself increasingly daydreaming about it. Growing veg, hillwalking, and pottering around a cottage with no cell phone reception or WiFi. No neighbors or people in sight just the sounds of nature and the odd sheep wandering by, I’d be in heaven! :)

Your day will come, and so will mine. Anyway, sorry Judge, I didn’t mean to divert your Apple bashing thread! :oops:

I'd love to have a stone cottage in the Lake District with a kitchen garden. Instead of WiFi, I'd buy a old set of Encyclopedia Britannica books for "research". I'd make my own bread every week, too.

Sorry, Judge, we wandered off on a tangent!

I believe that we have a fundamental right to repair the devices we buy! This whole corporate attempt to force us into using authorized dealerships or repair centers of any kind should just be made outrightly illegal. It's almost as if we buy the device and still don't really own it; more like we own the right to use it.

I believe that we have a fundamental right to repair the devices we buy! This whole corporate attempt to force us into using authorized dealerships or repair centers of any kind should just be made outrightly illegal. It's almost as if we buy the device and still don't really own it; more like we own the right to use it.

Unfortunately Apple makes the most over the concept of proprietary control of the products it makes and maintains. That by doing so, it reflects the highest commitment of adherence to product integrity, liability and all completed operations involved in repairing its own products. Something many lawmakers can relate to. Yet a "double-edged sword" for consumers. Maintaining a sense of quality control, while also limiting their products liability in what they can consider to be their fault as opposed to that of the customer. Inviting a practice of overcharging customers, which this article discusses.

While Apple no doubt claims total corporate compliance over all its repair facilities and their employees, I can't help but wonder just how varied they may be from one place to another. Even though they all technically operate under the same brand name. A concern that immediately comes to mind given Starfire's positive experience versus those negative experiences in the article I posted at the beginning of this thread. Even with Apple's rigid sense of proprietary operations, clearly their repair facilities are not all operating on the same page. Which well...kind of makes a mockery of their corporate proprietary mentality.

Makes me very sad to recall years ago when Apple once considered allowing Motorola to be licensed to build computers for them. A signal that they were ready to begin dismantling their rigid sense of propriety. But it never happened.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom