• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fidget Toy recommendations? (things to stim with)

I've seen something similar called a Rubiks Twist:

maxresdefault.jpg

Ed

@SusanLR I wish they'd make those swoosh balls (is that what they're called? had no idea honestly) out of materials other than that rubber. Cause I love them but sometimes the texture of all the little tentacles (IDK a better way to describe it) bothers the hell out of me.

View attachment 95809
Love the looks and the feel can't be beat. Swoosh balls.

Is that what they are called, swoosh balls? Years ago I found one of those things in a drawer in an apartment I shared with other people and I could not figure out what it was for. I imagined it was for some weird ball game I had never heard of.

I just found this while tidying up my electronics stuff. It's a rotary encoder and it's rather nice to rotate. It's weighty with lots of little tiny detents. It goes round and round forever. I twisted it a few times and it was like that scene in the Simpsons where Homer discovers the Ribwitch at Krusty Burger! I don't know how I had this for so long without discovering how satisfying it is to just turn it. It immediately made me think of this thread :)
IMG_20230205_070914_192.jpg

@Princess Viola and @Forest Cat
Swoosh balls is the classic name and I've seen them called Koosh
balls also.
I get them in places like Walmart or Walgreens with no names on them reasonably priced. They can be ordered online also.

Gosh, so much peer pressure here. Fine! I bought an infinity cube. They come in so many different fun colors.

Just trying to make a joke. But I really did buy one. Always on the lookout for something nice to hold in my hand. There are two very curious children in my family and so in a group, it’s best if I have a few fidgets in my pockets because they are inevitably going to be interested in them, too.

View attachment 95809
Love the looks and the feel can't be beat. Swoosh balls.
I grew up in the 80s and where I live, we called these koosh balls. They were the best and I loved them. When I was older, maybe 10 years ago, I looked for them again, but could only find knock offs where the material they are made of is now flimsy, feels cheap, and left a smell on my hands. They used to be such a high quality, but I can’t find that kind around here anymore. I did not check on the internet, though, that would probably be a good place to start, but of course, you can’t feel it to be sure.

I can’t remember what it is called but you can move the attached blocks around in different combinations. A bit similar to rubik’s cube . It is extremely satisfying.

View attachment 95780
I have a stress ball thing filled with sand that I can squeeze, although I usually play with it to get me to focus or if I feel a bit anxious. I also have one of these boxes with multiple buttons and switches. Used that once to go somewhere and thought that was useful. Gives me something to do rather than how i usually play with my hands if I stim.

I have a spinning ring.

It's basically two rings - narrow one that is nested within a wider one that wraps around it.

I like that it's kind of low-key.
NarrowFlatPolishedSilverSpinningRing3_4Front_1600x.jpg

I have a spinning ring.

It's basically two rings - narrow one that is nested within a wider one that wraps around it.

I like that it's kind of low-key.
NarrowFlatPolishedSilverSpinningRing3_4Front_1600x.jpg
This ring reminds me of a watch I used to have. The "dial" around the clock-face was loose, so you could easily turn it clockwise (at speed), and it made a satisfyingly solid rrrrrr sound, sort of like a zipper or some mousewheels. However, there was no way to turn it counterclockwise. It was completely blocked. I suspect there was a zip-tie like mechanism within the watch interface with the dial, but I have no idea what its purpose could be, as it didn't change anything about the watch or its function, and the dial was symmetrical on all sides (the numbers were on the watch, not on the dial). The only tangible use I saw out of it was for stimming. I feel like it's the only real stim-toy I've had.

^ It’s much heavier than I expected (happy about that) and feels really well made. Score!

Hilariously I saw some infinity cubes at Walgreens today. Was tempted to buy one cuz of this thread but IDK I felt that the ones they had (all branded with fictional characters) meant they would've been super cheap one lol.

New Threads

Top Bottom