• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fidget Spinners?

I've heard that some people can combat stress using the Fidget Spinner?
I have used one of these. personally, didn't help relieve any stress, but it was oddly fascinating to watch. also the noise of it spinning when it's otherwise silent is nice.

Hell yes, I have 3 and keep one constantly in my suit pocket. I like the metal ones with a ninja or dragon pattern and people at work often joke "haha don't throw that at me!". I force a laugh in response. :neutral:

IMG_20180415_091546.jpg

I like using Lego helicopters as fidgit spinners. There's so much can be done to create your own fidgit spinner, this came in a Lego kit and I wanted that helicopter to serve this purpose since it still has the same spinning motion as the fidgit spinners would provide.

Last edited:
I think they are just a fad for the masses now,but do believe they hold some weight for the autistic community.

I have a keyring item that I have used as a fidget toy long before I knew I was autie.
Believe it or not,it is a tiny model of a top fuel dragster hemi engine piston and connecting rod that squeaks as it is flopped from side to side on the wrist pin :p

View attachment 34205

That's a fun piece of metal! Do you reclaim/reuse metal pieces? I love salvaging metal pieces as I walk about.

I also have found the "fidget spinner" boring. I am someone who looks for elements of texture, color, and mechanics/kinesthetics/movement. I appreciate small discrete objects (although I like big object too). I am the kind of person who plays with my hair/facial hair, I run my fingers/hands along walls, fences, and other surfaces.

That's a fun piece of metal! Do you reclaim/reuse metal pieces? I love salvaging metal pieces as I walk about.
In a machineshop setting,you can reuse material until you can no longer hold it to cut it smaller ;)

Well, fidget spinner didn't work much for me.
It's just spinning and I have to spin it over and over again.
Other anti-stress toys like stress balls. They work better for me because I feel them and I can squish them over and over again. It calms me down.
Furthermore, spinners are are noisy and I don't like it.

I bought a new fidget spinner last week.
Got it real cheap too.

Where else can you get four new shielded ball bearings for a future shop project for $.25 each? :p

My co-worker brought one to work. Annoyed the heck outta me seeing his hands constantly moving and fidgeting. With that shiny metal thing. I tried it - have no need for it.

I fidget in my own ways- chew gum, bounce my legs, or keep busy with doodling, needlework, or any number of other distractions.

Fidget spinners in space...

Off-topic and probably irrelevant, but for anyone still buying into the flat-earth conspiracy: bask in the self-evident proof at the start of that video. Now that that's out of the way...

I bought one about a year back to see what the hype was about. It didn't hold my attention for long and it certainly didn't benefit me (the opposite, in face), so I went back to paperclips and small objects.

Both my kids got them. I played with one for an hour or so, was sort of fun. You know what I use more often though? My car keys have a switchblade style key, so I constantly play with that in my pocket when I'm out & about. Surprised it hasn't worn out yet!

I had one but it didn't do anything for me so I gave it to my niece in the end. I usually just keep a blob of Blu Tac sat on the corner of my keyboard at work to fiddle with (until the cleaners do their weekly rounds and remove it).

I have several. You can do tricks with the ones that aren't total junk.

I have lots of stim toys-- clays, putties, cubes, magnetic shapes etc.

I also like spinning coins. Alas, this is something that is not terribly appreciated. What is real fun is having battles with the spinning coins.

Stim toys are awesome!
Stimming is not restricted to autistics or to our ADHD neurological cousins. Everyone stims.

I have read that "stimming is autistic body language" and I like that, even if stimming is not restricted to us.

upload_2019-1-13_9-13-55.png

"Blu Tack is a reusable putty-like pressure-sensitive adhesive produced by Bostik, commonly used to attach lightweight objects (such as posters or sheets of paper) to walls, doors or other dry surfaces. Traditionally blue, it is also available in other colours. Generic versions of the product are also available from other manufacturers. The spelling now used is without the hyphen.

The composition of Blu Tack is a manufacturing secret but is described as a synthetic rubber compound without hazardous properties under normal conditions. It can be swallowed without harm and is noncarcinogenic. It is non-soluble and is denser than water..."
Blu Tack - Wikipedia

@Danno

First I have heard of the stuff, by name.

View attachment 51057

@Danno

First I have heard of the stuff, by name.

It's pretty useful stuff anyway - lots of uses from putting posters on walls, to holding fiddly bits and pieces in place for gluing/painting, to cleaning fluff from between keyboard keys...

But my main use for it is just to play with. Something to occupy the fingers, without the slimy ickyness of silly putty or the stickiness that modelling clay (like Plasticine) can leave behind. But still gives a good resistance... Sorry, rambling...

New Threads

Top Bottom