• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Has anyone here worked in the medical field?

Luc

It seems likely that I will go into Medical Billing & Coding in the future. I have the interest, but I'm unsure if I have the capability.

Main question: I'm wondering what unique challenges the medical field might pose for someone on the spectrum.

I fear my weaknesses would raise significant issues for me.
Most notably:
  • My low frustration threshold.
    - If I get stuck, and cannot figure something out / fix a problem, I cannot handle it. I become overwhelmed with an indescribable emotion. Often, I'm unable to speak properly during this.
  • My need for exact, detailed directions.
    - I need to be slightly "bossed around", or else I become lost and don't know what to do with myself.
    - I commonly get stuck analyzing directions, wondering if I am following them correctly. I often need to ask for clarification.
  • Maths.
    - I am ineptitude incarnate when faced with any maths.
    - I can only hope that any maths required of me can be completed with a calculator...
  • Interpreting people.
    - For example, if someone acts nice, I assume they are actually being nice. I never notice passive-aggressiveness or implications.
  • My mental health.
    - I also have Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, and Gender Identity Disorder. I wonder if this would make employers reluctant to hire me.
Secondary question: Is the hospital environment actually highly structured?
I can endure some chaos so long as I have a clear directive (where to go, what to do, when to do it, how long to do it, etc).

Any experience you could share would be much appreciated. Not just for Medical Coding, but for hospital jobs in general.
And yes, I have read you can supposedly work from home as a Medical Coder, though I am not privy to the details.

Last edited:
I've never worked in such a setting, but maybe this will help:

I work for an agency that hires people on the spectrum. Many different directions were explored as career options, and medical coding was one of them. It's probably what I would be doing right now if an opportunity that better fits my skillset hadn't come along.

Point is, people whose job it is to find jobs that are a good fit for people with autism thought medical coding would be one of such jobs. Like I say, never worked directly in the medical field, but maybe that helps if you're feeling unsure.

Best of luck to you whatever direction you take!

I have worked in both hospitals and outpatient clinics as a provider. I don't think medical billers and coders are necessarily located in the hospital or the clinic but this might vary from place to place. Being OCD might be a plus as it will be important for you to get the bills correct although you can always rebill if needed. I think that the medical provider has to put the information in the medical notes adequately enough for it to be correctly coded so sometimes it might be necessary for you to ask for further clarification but you could do that in writing. I do think there would be exact detailed directions you'd be following and that the amounts to be billed would be specified for each procedure code so you wouldn't have to figure it out. This info is based on my experience billing for my own private practice but that was many years ago so things could be different.

Hi Luc,

I’ve worked in a hospital environment for around 17 years and can tell about you my own experience but you might not have the same experience as I. So keep this in mind while reading. :)

The hospital I work at is one of the biggest in the city and serves a large population. It is pretty busy most of the time during the week, however slows down at night and on the weekends. When I began working, I started out part-time and chose a swing shift (3pm-11pm). One of the really nice aspects of working for a hospital is the flexibility of your work hours. I’ve gone from swing shift to day shift to an “as needed” or prn shift to now working 12 hour shifts a couple days a week. I would love to be able to work from home eventually.

Sensory issues are my biggest challenge. My desk is located at the nurses station and every week, I have to hop on top of it and unscrew the lights above my head because they feel like a spot light. People look at me when I do this but most don’t mind because who in the world likes fluorescent lights? Smells are stronger as there are sick patients all around (a 60 bed unit) and sounds are a constant as well; phones ringing, iv pumps beeping, call lights dinging, people talking, fire drills, code blues, etc. You will probably not have to experience all of this if your a coder. Most likely, you’ll be in a smaller area with other coders.

My advice would be to contact a couple of the hospitals and ask if you could volunteer or shadow in the coding department. Be right up front and state your interested in a career in coding but would like to find out if the environment is a good fit for you. Hospital environments are so different even from floor to floor. Surgery is much different than a surgical unit and Human Resources is much different than Food Service, etc. It also often depends upon the people you work with/for.

Hope that helps a little. Feel free to ask me any questions! :)

I have a great interest in medical science, but unfortunately my Alexithymic personality would be very off-putting to the vast majority of my patients. I decided to pursue the Engineering/Mathematician path, since machines don't seem to mind my personality.

To touch on your OCD, I would imagine it would be a strength in some areas, but billing and coding is highly collaborative, and oftentimes you'll need to drop what you're doing in order to work on a higher priority task.

I have special interests in infectious diseases and oncology.

In regards to Math, try reading: How To Solve It by George Polya. I was horrible at Math growing up, but once I started to teach myself and digest the concepts at a slower pace and in a way that I can understand them, it started to become fun for me.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the input!
I'm only 20, but I become very anxious thinking about my future.
I don't have any other specific questions, I just enjoy hearing others' experiences :D

My OCD won't be beneficial, since my main obsession is contamination (specifically, pet dander/residue).
Other obsessions include: Isopropyl alcohol, air particles, and sunlight.
If I share any more details, the men in white will come for me :eek: haha.

OCD aside, I've always been a detail-oriented person - good to know this is a strength.

---
In regards to Math, try reading: How To Solve It by George Polya. I was horrible at Math growing up, but once I started to teach myself and digest the concepts at a slower pace and in a way that I can understand them, it started to become fun for me.
I would love to improve my maths... I will check it out, thanks.
Self-teaching is probably best, that way I won't lash out at a well-meaning mentor!

You may find this book helpful as well:

Asperger’s Syndrome Workplace Survival Guide - A Neurotypical’s Secrets for Success. by Barbara Bissonnette

Good luck in your search! :)

I was a coder in the Oughts, it was my dream job, peace and quiet compared to my earlier job as a surgical technician in a busy labor & delivery unit. I sure wish Shrub didn't lay off a bunch of us civil servants in '06, I might still be working there today.

LookingForMe Said: My advice would be to contact a couple of the hospitals and ask if you could volunteer or shadow in the coding department. Be right up front and state your interested in a career in coding but would like to find out if the environment is a good fit for you. Hospital environments are so different even from floor to floor. Surgery is much different than a surgical unit and Human Resources is much different than Food Service, etc. It also often depends upon the people you work with/for.

The Highest Priority in Medical Coding and Billing is Privacy! Shadowing would put Privacy at risk and it will likely not be allowed! That is what I found out after I finished My Coding class, and was trying to get a job with help from my States Rehab Office. Along with a lot of other BS and Aggravation (from Rehab managers) they told me that Hospitals and Medical Clinics would not allow a Rehab Asst. to accompany me and help with Social Issues.

New Threads

Top Bottom