• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Has anyone here ever published a book?

Edward764

At age 61, I have failed to obtain any educational or employment success do to my inability to deal with the bizarre, both in my mind and the real world.
One way to take advantage of my failures would be to write about them and publish them.
This would give my failures purpose, and allow me to turn my failures into success.

If anyone has written a book, how did you start?

Did you begin writing in a notebook by pen? Did you begin typing on a computer?

Printing everything out as a backup could be very expensive.

What happens if your notes get lost, or if your computed crashes and you lose everything?
How do you find a publisher?

Input would be welcomed.

I already have 18 hours on cassette tape, which covers my first 30 years, so this is a start.

I don't want to be discouraging, but unless there's something truly unique about your life, it's unlikely any publisher will be interested. That doesn't keep you from self-publishing, and a good place to start is learning about Amazon's KDP publishing system.

I've written and self-published several novels, but recently withdrew them from publication. I might do some revisions and republish some of them, but I'm presently working on a non-fiction book and less interested in fiction. I do almost everything on the computer, and save my work to a couple of memory sticks, to the Mac's Time Machine on an external drive, and to Dropbox.

No I have not published. I can see where you're coming from. You're trying to use the things you tried, that turned out not to be right for you, for good.

I can answer you a few of your extra questions though I'm not a published writer:
You will find writers who start with pen and paper or computer. It's completely up to you. Some say pen and paper is less distracting way to get started but it depends...

If you're working on a computer then you do have to worry about backups. There are some cloud services that you could use if you trust them. You can also do backups on usb and/or hard drive - and have a few backups! Not just one. That gives you the option to keep a back up somewhere other than your home too. In case of fire or something else drastic.

You need to think about security though - so that someone who finds your usb or has access to it doesn't have access to your work. Unless that's what you want. I can't really give you security advice, I'm not that knowledgeable.

Well done having so much down already on tape. Great start. Do you have skill in writing already or are you learning along the way? Either way don't be put off if writing such a long work is a struggle at times. Writers struggle regularly from what I can see (and experience myself) because writing is an art and it's hard work. I wish you the best of luck :)

I am attempting to be a writer of fiction. I work on the computer. No internet. With a usb drive as the only fail safe. I find music helps me work. Will be making an attempt soon at publishing. By using literary agent to help.

unless there's something truly unique about your life, it's unlikely any publisher will be interested. That doesn't keep you from self-publishing
Yes, I think there's truth in that. Another option: Write about your life in a unique way.

I've written and self-published several novels, but recently withdrew them from publication.
Congratulations. You must feel a wonderful sense of achievement to have finished such long works. May I ask why you withdrew them?

I find music helps me work.
Classical? I like classical, baroque or opera for writing because I find it less distracting than the other types of music that I like.
I'm also attempting a fictional work @Wolf Prince

Oh, @Wolf Prince can I suggest using more than one USB? For safety sake.

Congratulations. You must feel a wonderful sense of achievement to have finished such long works. May I ask why you withdrew them?]

Some are in a genre I outgrew and don't want associated with my name anymore. The others aren't bad, and could be better, but I'm not sure they're worth the time and energy to revise. I'm at a point in my life, where the non-fiction is more important to me.

@Catana Thank you and that all makes a lot of sense to me. I have thought that if I'd published earlier things I had written that it would be interesting at best, and upsetting at the very worst, when I compared them to later work.

All i can afford right now Rectify. I do test it though. Also i do rock in various forms. Like disturbed, breaking Benjamin, five finger death punch. Along with a number of movie and video game soundtracks. Halo is probably closest to being classical music.

I've self published a book using KDP, and I liked the process a lot. I got it professionally edited and commissioned a great cover, so I don't think the quality of the book suffered and I had a lot more control than going through a publisher. All of that is to say don't get discouraged if you're having trouble finding a publisher; self publishing is also a great, viable route.

I type everything online so it's saved to the cloud, and I also saved a complete copy on a USB. I also listen to music while writing, and I try to match the song to the tone of the scene I'm writing.

I got a "D" in high school typing, since part of my learning disability affects my ability to type.

I am leaning towards putting my words in pen, but I wonder if this would discourage publishers or editors from dealing with it because it might be harder to read.
I wish I would have continued my tapes beyond age 30, but what I have listened to so far is quite helpful.
I just listened to the first two hours for the first time in over 31 years, and was reminded of some bizarre things.
I will start a thread in the obsession section on a few disturbing fetishes recorded on them to see if they are as bizarre as I think

I am leaning towards putting my words in pen, but I wonder if this would discourage publishers or editors from dealing with it because it might be harder to read.
I wish I would have continued my tapes beyond age 30, but what I have listened to so far is quite helpful.
I just listened to the first two hours for the first time in over 31 years, and was reminded of some bizarre things.
Edward764 I don't think you can present a handwritten book to publishers any more (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that). My understanding is that you can handwrite it but at some stage you need to type it up on a computer - or get someone else to do that for you which might be preferable in your case.

It must be amazing to listen back to your words and thoughts from 30 years ago. Wow.

Rectify is right. Anything you submit to a publisher has to be typed, and in the exact format that they require. To put another obstacle in your way -- sorry about that -- most publishers don't accept manuscripts from writers; you have to find an agent, and they will submit to the appropriate publishers. And it's doubtful that an agent would even be interested in a memoir from someone who isn't likely to interest a lot of readers.

A warning, just in case you get desperate -- do NOT have any dealings with companies that promise to do everything for you, for a fee. Most of them are scammers who will just take your money and do a terrible job. If you're serious about publishing your memoir, you need to take the time to learn the ins and outs. Otherwise, you're on the road to being a victim.

Seriously, your best route is self-publishing. It can be a lot of work, but no more, really, than the process of trying to find an agent, waiting, waiting, waiting, for them to find a publisher, and then having not much to show. You will be in control, and whatever money is earned will be yours alone.

I am 20 years old almost 21 I have two first drafts I have two separate books that are not professionally edited

One is fictional and one is non-fictional

My first draft of the first book originally turned out as a journal which is the nonfiction book

The second turned out of short stories I was writing originally turned into one book

I really would like to be published someday

Just to get my books out there in the peoples hands and to teach them things that I would like them to be taught about Nurodiversity things like that

I did have an opportunity to sign a contract with a certain person before

That I was friendly with after a book signing

However I was under age then and my uncle would not want to sign it with me the opportunity is probably still open but I’m not sure

I still email with that person but I don’t believe he will allow it without my uncles signature

I wouldn’t do it without my family’s permission either

My uncle said it’s very complicated and he might have to get a lawyer to figure it out

Although this particular contract was more about writing blogs and writing a book but it’s agood relationship that we have any mention that if I were ever to sign the contract with my uncle who would be willing to help me with my book

Lately I’ve been giving my book away for free just regular binding on copies to social workers doctors and Family also maybe a few friends along the way

I just wish there was someway I can get my book out there without having to keep giving it out Because when I give enough people don’t really share too much feedback especially since they’re pretty close to me so I guess they wouldn’t want to say something either or The way I have I really want some feedback and things like that

The guy with the contract as I will call them has become a good friend of mine I sent them a copy of my first draft of my nonfiction book and he said it was very good just needed some editing

Unfortunately I believe there’s not much they can do without a contract

But we do friendly emails and keep in contact with each other

I have also written a few short stories that I wish could be published as well

Maybe yoy should get a copy of the contract. Or seek a liteary agent. Checking the internet might help as well.

Many years ago I had an article published in a trucker magazine - wish I had a copy. And I used to create word puzzles for Dell, which I have a short stack of old puzzle magazines with my puzzles and my name listed. But no books.

Many years ago I had an article published in a trucker magazine - wish I had a copy. And I used to create word puzzles for Dell, which I have a short stack of old puzzle magazines with my puzzles and my name listed. But no books.

That reminded me....I have had some patterns for toys published in magazines.
And made (hand made) little books for children.

No *real books* though.

You need backups not just for digital, but for pen and paper and cassette as well. Make photocopies of your paper notes and drafts, or simply take pictures of them. Make digital backup recordings of your cassette tapes (or copy them onto other tapes if you have the devices). ALWAYS have one backup, minimum. Take it from someone who's lost way too much over the years.

Edit: I forgot to add, it doesn't really matter if your life is considered unique or interesting. What mattes is how well you can market it.

What I have learned here is that the more seriously I take this project, and the more desperate I get to succeed, the more likely I am to fail.
Although I am a terrible typist, I will need to suck it up and type.
I need to think of this as more of a hobby than a do or die project.
I have no idea how long my book would be, but I would guess about 500 to 1,000 typed pages, which would equate to far fewer pages in a book. It depends on how much forgotten detail I have on my tapes.
I need to begin this project knowing full well that I could spend 2,000 hours on it, and all these hours might be for nothing.
But if I would have spent these hours watching TV anyway, what have I lost?
My life is so high on the bizarre scale that I hope it garners some interest, but since I have a life script of failure as evidenced by my posts here, the challenge will be daunting.

I haven't had any interest in publishing books. Computer games, however, is something I will publish sometime in my future. By myself. I ain't gonna sell my studio to EA. EA would ruin my games.

New Threads

Top Bottom