• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Has a formal ASD diagnosis helped anyone at work?

CMZ

I am fairly new here and one of the things I've seen mentioned a number of times in some of these threads is some people talking about whether or not they will ever get a formal diagnosis because they think it might help in work situations. I don't yet have a formal diagnosis myself (well, sort of... basically a diagnosis from a neuropsychologist of being on the ASD spectrum without that terminology actually being used) but am wondering if there is anyone who does have a formal diagnosis who has found that having such has helped them in work and perhaps other situations and who may have had some accommodations made for them at work. I am not looking for a pet diagnosis so much as I am looking for the most succinct way to describe my condition to others without boring them to tears in the process. And I may need some accommodations at work. Actually, yes, I do. But it's always been hard for me to describe it to others at various workplaces I've been at.

It's helped me at work, in that I've figured out what I need to function optimally at work, and how I can formulate that to bosses and coworkers.

I haven't used my diagnosis to get accommodations though, I get by as it is at the moment.

The fact that I am a Aspie helps me a lot in my work. My diagnosis answered a lot of questions and allowed me to better know myself.

My diagnosis has hindered my work actually.

IMO I'd have a better chance of getting a job if I was NT.

My current job is with a Disability Two Ticks employer, meaning that anyone with a declared disability who applies for a job must get an interview if they meet the requirements. I like to think that I would have got the interview for this job without declaring my diagnosis, but doing so ensured that I did.

Not directly, because I'm self-employed, but it has helped me to understand myself better and to try to improve my relationships with others in my work.

My current job is with a Disability Two Ticks employer, meaning that anyone with a declared disability who applies for a job must get an interview if they meet the requirements. I like to think that I would have got the interview for this job without declaring my diagnosis, but doing so ensured that I did.

You were lucky, I've applied for stuff under the "2 ticks" thing in the past, they keep saying I either don't meet the requirements or didn't declare my disability.

Any excuse.

Equal Opportunities my arse. They just say that because they have to.

Before attempting to properly explain your condition, consider this. The way I see it, there are three likely outcomes of attempting to explain yourself whether or not you are formally diagnosed.

* Those who want to understand and will succeed.
* Those who want to understand and will fail.
* Those who default to a mentality that it is we who must conform to how the NT world carries on.

Which enhances the value of applying a "need-to-know" basis only. Don't try to explain it to people if you really don't have to. Otherwise know that it can generate unforeseen consequences. Even in telling those perceived to be most close to you.

Well, I just pulled the trigger today and told my manager about my diagnosis. I've seen some signs that my manager couldn't read me and made some incorrect (but not damaging) assumptions about my thoughts or attitudes. I felt like him knowing that I don't express my emotions on my face will help us better communicate.

So, I waffled back and forth for a while about if I tell, when I tell, who I tell, how I tell. I felt really good about it last night. Then I went to bed and dreamt about nothing but anxiety over what happens when I tell tell - woke up a few times and couldn't get back to sleep because I was so wound up over it. I woke up this morning and thought, "I'm not going to ride that roller coaster that again." So, the only way to resolve all the doubt about what's going to happen is to say it and see what happens. So, I did. Like ripping off a band-aid quickly. My boss, grand-boss, and great-grand boss all know now.

I told them that I've coped at this company for over a decade and a half, and I don't expect any change in treatment. I get to keep what I'm good at and try to get better at the other things.

We'll see if this changes anything but for now, I feel relieved.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Has anyone ever been able to report their diagnosis to an employer and have certain beneficial accommodations made for you, such as private office, being allowed to work from home at least part of the time, maybe changing light bulbs to ones that don't set you off as much?

New Threads

Top Bottom