• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

NicoleAscot

Kira Renèe
Hey everyone. I have Asperger’s and I definitely have a unique personality. I’m a Hardcore Rapper (my genre) but if I get upset or lonely, I want to cuddle with my bestest friend, “Ollie The Alien”!
I don’t take him I’m public very often. In fact, the only time was immediately after a violent assault and I had no one to talk to except Ollie. Otherwise he’s at home waiting on the couch or the bed.
He’s not part of my daily life, but he isn’t put away either.
Recently I started sobbing uncontrollably as I’m still coping with things and I held Ollie while I did. My girlfriend of a couple months, who knows all of this about me, randomly asks why I need Ollie and couldn’t get rid of him and just come to her. She claims to not understand how an adult needs a stuffed toy.
He’s been there with me for a lot of trauma. He was my very first stuffed animal I ever owned, even as a child. I’ve never owned any other stuffed toy at any time in my life. My girlfriend’s concern probably stems from the fact Ollie was a gift... from a girlfriend I had long ago before she and I ever met, and she Never saw/met/heard of my ex before I explained Ollie’s origins.

Is this normal? Any advice? Anyone have similar situations?

3027AFA1-E599-4341-8D8B-A32AA6472035.jpeg 6B4AC6EB-1EB1-4FD2-A53D-43B07F8BCA07.jpeg
3940CFA6-2900-45DB-B506-725458D5E95B.jpeg
E4E8FB35-D536-4245-B328-605F84ED8680.jpeg

5562C9D5-BAF7-4AC4-A1A8-ECA08E6A3CF5.jpeg

A1C79466-5C46-4480-B9FD-778628222CE1.jpeg
8C89A1AF-5257-40B8-8322-3C850309570C.jpeg

Attachments

• E7FCECFC-7237-42E2-A6E3-235FA7588352.jpeg
    E7FCECFC-7237-42E2-A6E3-235FA7588352.jpeg
    20.9 KB · Views: 0
If it is comforting to you, why should opinions of some people matter? There are always those that will find a fault in you and the rest won't care. Besides, you're an artist. Artists have a bit more leeway in these things.

I'm sure that you get plenty of people who think you're weird because you're a white woman in what has traditionally been a black man's world. I'm sure that your fans don't care about that or about your plushie. I suspect that your current gf is actually jealous of the girl who gave you Ollie and not of the fact that you cuddle him when you're down. Underground hiphop is all about looking and sounding tough anyway, I'm sure a lot of performers have secret habits off stage that fans would consider weird or wimpy. But they rock the mike, and that's what matters to the fans. I was a fan of hardcore during the glory days in the 90s, so I am a little familiar with the milieu.

There's nothing weird there in my books. I've long been what I describe as "talismanic" in that I often ascribe higher importance to objects than other mementoes such as photographs, even sometimes people. There are certain inanimate pieces of metal or rock that hold far more memories than any photo could. I went to Crete in my 30s and I have no photos of it, but the tiny flake of the palace of Knossos I still have brings back far more memories than any photo or video could.
Ollie is cool - your girlfriend's reaction isn't. It sounds too much like jealousy of the ex who gave him to you to me.

There's nothing weird there in my books. I've long been what I describe as "talismanic" in that I often ascribe higher importance to objects than other mementoes such as photographs, even sometimes people. There are certain inanimate pieces of metal or rock that hold far more memories than any photo could. I went to Crete in my 30s and I have no photos of it, but the tiny flake of the palace of Knossos I still have brings back far more memories than any photo or video could.
Ollie is cool - your girlfriend's reaction isn't. It sounds too much like jealousy of the ex who gave him to you to me.

Hey, another one! :D Certain pieces of rock, certain objects from my past. I was always drawn to the part of the novel 1984 where Winston Smith finds a beautiful glass paperweight with a little piece of coral inside that was made before the Revolution, and it becomes his only evidence that times were once far better. In one passage, he approaches an old man and asks him what life was like before the Revolution and the old man simply rambles incoherently. For a long time I kept my eye out for something similar, and found a glass paperweight with an orchid design inside in San Francisco's Chinatown in 1995. Today it has a meaning to me similar to Winston's coral glass paperweight. It seems that a lot of auties are like that.

I have to agree that Nicole's gf is jealous of somebody she never met or knows anything about, and that's a bad sign.

I’m an adult, I’m a doctor, I used to have to make life or death decisions on the job. But after a hard day I can really find comfort in hugging my plush sloth. I think it’s normal that, when stressed out, we tend to go back to things that used to comfort us when we were younger. I don’t think it’s weird at all.

certainly not something most people would do but whatever floats your boat.

if you decide to make a career out of being a "hardcore rapper" this might effect your record sales.

Ollie is Awesome!
Sounds to me like she's either jealous or she wants you to get rid of a source of comfort in order to make her more valuable through a reduction of supply.
I don't think you should get rid of Ollie.

I think your Ollie is cute! I'm in my 20s and also have many stuffed animals whom I consider my best friends, too! :grinning: That's great that Ollie helps you feel safe and calm. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom