• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hard time following rules accidentally

Rat

Does anyone have a hard time following rules? Not on purpose though, like they accidentally break rules a lot. I always end up breaking rules that I don't remember or I too impulsively do something that's against the rules before I think "oh wait I shouldn't do that". Like a lot of times I will swear when I really shouldn't (work, school, etc.) even though I generally try not to. I also accidentally swear a lot on websites where its not allowed. Or I will end up doing something that is not allowed because I forgot it wasn't allowed. Because of this I will get anxious at times that I will end up doing something against the rules and get in trouble.

Our anxiety is probably the reason we are known for following the rules more than others. No, I follow rules much better than most people.

Does anyone have a hard time following rules? Not on purpose though, like they accidentally break rules a lot. I always end up breaking rules that I don't remember or I too impulsively do something that's against the rules before I think "oh wait I shouldn't do that". Like a lot of times I will swear when I really shouldn't (work, school, etc.) even though I generally try not to. I also accidentally swear a lot on websites where its not allowed. Or I will end up doing something that is not allowed because I forgot it wasn't allowed. Because of this I will get anxious at times that I will end up doing something against the rules and get in trouble.

This l get. We have to not do this or this. But the parameters we live in don't include much judgement so we tolerate off the grid behavior including swearing or loosely interpreting rules. In fact l am always evaluating what are the rules and are they followed or is it just mouth action?

Our anxiety is probably the reason we are known for following the rules more than others. No, I follow rules much better than most people.
ngl I tend to also not follow rules that I see as dumb/don't want to follow but a part of that comes with following rules that I dont personally care about that much. If I want to stay some places or not get in trouble I generally have to follow rules. I find if you follow most of the rules people are more lax about the ones you do break (not always but its harder to get in trouble if you break less rules anyways) I just also have a hard time remembering what they are and get anxious I will be breaking a rule I have 0 desire to even break and get in trouble for it.

Absolutely! I get doubly confused when the rules are not applied equally. He did "X" and nobody cared. Obviously, that means "X" is okay to do. Right? Why am I punished for doing "X"?

Yes. Especially rules that are not part of my routine. Like the covid lockdown rules, remembering to wear the mask when going out, for example.

I try really hard to follow rules but do this, where I forget one or act on an impulse. I'm used to getting reprimanded for it so now I'm really anxious about breaking rules.

Absolutely! I get doubly confused when the rules are not applied equally. He did "X" and nobody cared. Obviously, that means "X" is okay to do. Right? Why am I punished for doing "X"?

I've never understood this and it's really frustrating, especially when people get mad. I always want to ask "Why are you mad if the rule obviously isn't that important to you since you let someone else break it?" but people get more mad if you question them.

New Threads

Top Bottom