• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Guinea pig as pets

LonelyAutisticPerson

Are guinea pigs as pets okay for autistic adults? Asking because I have been thinking about getting a pet if my parents agree because I struggle with loneliness and a couple of pets might help me and I don't want to commit to 10 or more years of looking after a cat or dog,

You would have to read up on Guinea Pig care to see if you are up to it. My daughter and friend have some. But they seem to die fairly easily. More fragile then hardy. The lifespan is supposedly 4-8 years.

When I was a teenager I had two guinea pigs that I loved very much and had them for quite a few years. I think they make great pets. But you still have to know how to take care of them. I've watched a number of YouTube videos on caring for the piggies, just for fun.

As i saw, neurotypicals often tend to not consider the lifespan of their pets. It's refreshing to see somebody else to think in those angles. Also with something like a cat they would have a much easier time freeroaming in your home (and outside), which also makes pets imo much better.

I currently have seven guinea pigs. They're a bit like pringles. You can't have just one. I find they're wonderful pets and I wouldn't be without them, I also suggest doing a little bit of research before fully committing to owning one. At first I had two huge set ups for my piggies (C&C cages are brilliant!) but then decided to redecorate my bedroom and as my parents were complaining about the smell. I loved them outdoors.

Just remember that piggies need to live in pairs together as they end up very lonely on their own and if you do wind up with a herd like I have you have to have one male and the others female. Vet bills can be quite costly too. But there's a bunch of friendly guinea pig groups based in the UK on facebook I've joined that have given me loads of advice etc.

Hope this helps a little bit

I can say from first hand experience guineas are great! But you need to be willing to commit to them. I had an 8 year old guinea before she died. My current guinea us only 6 months so she has her entire life ahead of her.

I had guinea pigs as a teenager and did well with and liked them. Like Tom said they can live 8 years though.

Are guinea pigs as pets okay for autistic adults? Asking because I have been thinking about getting a pet if my parents agree because I struggle with loneliness and a couple of pets might help me and I don't want to commit to 10 or more years of looking after a cat or dog,

New Threads

Top Bottom