• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Group Work Presentation Hassle

Frostee

At university, I have a module that is primarily group work focused. Up until now, I've been fairly fine at this because it doesn't require a massive amount of participation.

However, near the end of the course we're required to partake in a 'Dragons Den' type presentation.

At the beginning of this process, I requested that my Disability Adviser contact the module organiser, to arrange something. NOTE: My Reasonable Adjustments suggest that I don't do presentations.

The lecturer emails back, says that I turn up to the group meetings and don't present. Now, how is this going to work, effectively? Students are naturally going to expect me to present, and when I don't turn up on the day, that's going to reflect badly on me.
(NB: The Lecturer did suggest that only two students present)

So, what has happened, so far?

- I turn up, don't really talk/feel awkward. Listen to what they say, ask what I have to do and leave.
- During the group, they try to coerce me into presenting. I say 'didn't the lecturer say that only two students are supposed to present?'. To which i'm met with silence.
- I log in tonight, look at their spreadsheet and discover that they've put me down to presenting a slide.

Now, this has given me a tremendous amount of anxiety, that is not worth having. I will never understand why these lecturers & academics insist on making people like us do things that we're not naturally set out to do. I am NEVER going to feel comfortable presenting in front of 100 people, it is just not in me. Forcing me to do this will not change my stance on this.

This evening I have emailed the lecturer, requesting that he contact them to tell them that I am not presenting. I haven't received a response to this, yet - the presentation is on Thursday.

As a last ditch attempt, I contacted them today to try and get them to two people, but they have not taken me up on my offer.

We are meeting tomorrow morning, where I imagine they will discuss what we are each going to do. If my lecture does not respond to my email by Wednesday evening, my plan is to reluctantly not turn up to the presentation.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can deal with this? I really feel that the lecturer could've handled this more appropriately - placing me in a group and suggesting that I don't bother to come to the presentation wasn't the best solution.

Last edited:
I have other issues, like my group rarely communicating with me, or the fact that somehow nobody seems to even see me when forming groups. Loads of other things too.
Presenting isn't an issue because of anxiety, but because I'll just end up never understanding what to tell.
All teachers solutions are: PRESENT MORE

Personally, I'd just not show up. That was always my solution to presentations. But you have an actual excuse. If the professor has a problem, you can discuss it with them and your disability advisor, through email probably!

Good luck! I feel like I know exactly how you feel. I'm sorry. :(

I don’t think your lecturer is going to fix it for you. You’re going to have to stand up for yourself. I think it’s best to inform your group you won’t be presenting, but are willing to help work on the presentation. If they are reasonable, you can show up to the presentation to show your support. If they give you a hard time, don’t show up.

Hi, guys. So, I missed their 8am meeting - I got up at my 7am alarm, and fell asleep again immediately!

My lecturer is going to send an email suggesting that they reduce their group size. I am also going to email them to tell them that I am not presenting but that they can use my idea.

This isn't going to go down well, and I am petrified of going to the class and having to face them.

I don't know if anyone is still reading. But, me informing them did not go down well.

There was no response to my message.

- They created another group chat without me, in it.
- Removed my name from the presentation.
- Kept my slide.

I feel somewhat down on this, just because i've been put in this position, and I sort of feel that these students reacted in a negative manner.

Am I wrong, for being depressed over this? I just hate the thought of people calling me lazy and bitching behind my back, I mean why the need to create another group chat? To me that would suggest that there is something to hide.

Last edited:
When I was in group presentations, I told them that I was extremely anxious and could not talk in front of large groups and we made a deal where I did a larger portion of the work preparing then I just stood there for the talking part. People without fear of public speaking LOVE that. Maybe something like that could have been or could still be an option?

This has passed, the hard choice was made by them. You at this point are in the aftermath of the situation. So the outcome is that you didn't present, but you have freedom of not presenting now which was your end goal. You won, but their response is we are showing some reaction, you are not in this group chat or whatever, truthfully, they can make that choice. Now anything you do is just damage control, about you, your work product, your grades, whatever. Hope this breaks down the whole process for you.

New Threads

Top Bottom