• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Grins creep me out...

Aspie_rin

Am I the only one who's creeped out by people who smile and show their teeth (especially both rows of teeth)? I've heard this is supposed to be a genuine smile for when you're extremely happy, but I think it looks agressive. Also I never smile that way, and when I try to in front of a mirror it feels unnatural and looks creepy. Am I mistaken and this smile isn't a good smile for NTs too, or is it my autism that causes me to feel incomfortable because of it?

I find it both fascinating and disturbing. Mostly because I can't imagine physically or neurologically maintaining a grin that requires me to expose my upper and lower gums.

I can grin...but don't expect me to contort my face just for some kind of emphasis. Though I realize physiologically it's much easier for some than others like us. For me, I simply just don't walk around with a grin on my face for no particular reason.

it doesnt bother me,i have a grin instead of smile because i feel strong feelings,youd hate to see me when im on form. :D [edit-sorry ive just realised i shoudnt have used that as a smiley]. i dont find the showing of teeth agressive in humans but i know it is a sign of agression in non human animals.

I never actually smile the whole way, all I do is grin (kind of a crooked grin).;) I don't think it looks creepy on my face, but have never asked anyone else.:rolleyes::eek::confused:

Everyone smiles in their own way, and its not fair to call one way more natural then the other.
When I'm living in the moment and feeling happy, I don't care how I smile, or if it looks weird to others. :)

Am I the only one who's creeped out by people who smile and show their teeth (especially both rows of teeth)? I've heard this is supposed to be a genuine smile for when you're extremely happy, but I think it looks agressive. Also I never smile that way, and when I try to in front of a mirror it feels unnatural and looks creepy. Am I mistaken and this smile isn't a good smile for NTs too, or is it my autism that causes me to feel incomfortable because of it?
I don,t get creeped out by it but i do think its unusual because when i smile i don,t show my teeth i just smile with my mouth closed in the traditional fashion. I don,t think it looks aggressive even though it could be to act agressive. I think the only smile that is natural and good is the way i smile the traditional way. and it could be your autism because somethings in life make me feel uncomfortable because of my autism.

New Threads

Top Bottom