• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Greta Thunberg is amazing

Sabrina

Gentle & brave earthling
Her name is Greta Thunberg and she’s only 16. Her quote in this pic reflects what I feel.
Do you also feel like everybody should be taking our Planet’s path to destruction seriously?
947B9D76-2EF8-464F-A147-E1027BCD2E4F.jpeg

As someone who's been trained to deal with people who are in a state of panic I want to know what she is trying to say with this.
From my perspective this seems overblown - One should always take responsibility for one's actions or lack there of.
you can pad this with the understanding that you can't change other people's actions or their results but to do otherwise is weak and foolish.
Harsh but true.
As part of the "lost generation" I know nothing will get better if I don't make it better for myself and others.
Never count on someone to fix your problems for you.
Do what you can and strive for better.
No one can ask for more.

I read this as she is talking about the impact of climate change and the alarming state the Earth is in due to man's complete negligence towards the environment and I totally agree with her. Thanks for posting Sabrina!!!

What I really don't like is that the discussion gets railed off to her, discussions around the movements that have become independent already often become focused on her and she becomes a positive or negative argument for reasons that should be irrelevant already.

She's also on the spectrum, which also gets thrown around often and used for arguments for unrelated things.

Unfourtunatly I won't go political.

Last edited:
I don't like to think of anyone I love being alive to experience the suffering that might come with the predicted disasters of climate change. Otherwise, I know that the planet can recover from just about anything we do to it but it is humanity that may not survive. I don't really care if humanity survives or not.

I believe it's confirmed in the bottom that it is climate change.

The general public won't care unless it can be shown to be an immediate and tangible threat, global warming specifically and directly. Otherwise, we're screwed.

If it were only that easy. An article I read recently highlighted the fact that humans prioritize immediate threats over any long-range concerns. When sub-zero temperatures roll in, we bundle up. We don't move. Only when the oceans rise up into our living rooms will we consider moving, but not before constructing a seawall first. Ask the Dutch. Our polluting ways are not unlike a sinking boat with 100 holes in the hull. We think we can fix the problem by plugging up 12 of them. Not a bad start, by by no means the answer. Between now and the ultimate solution, we have to live. Nature doesn't need us, so asking the snow to melt on a predictable schedule is simple human arrogance. We don't control the weather, but we influence it just by being here with all the other animals. We make big messes to satisfy our desire for comfort and convenience. If you pull the plug, there will be a lot of disruption around the world. Our problems cannot be solved overnight and the answers are not universal. We all still rely on the actions of others across the globe, and everyone's immediate needs are always a priority. Developing nations are the most vulnerable, so we have to find solutions that are realistic for all concerned. Not a simple task.

The earth has been far warmer and far colder than today, and not millions of years ago either. In the time of the Vikings, vineyards flourished in areas of Europe where they have not been able to in the past few hundred years. In 1500 CE the Thames River froze for months at a time in winter, and the ice was so sturdy that "Frost Fairs" were held on the river, carnival type rides and various exhibitions and even a printing press putting out a special edition of the London Times! That's how thick the ice was! The last Frost Fair was held in 1810.

Getting back to the post-Viking era, around 1200 CE the great civilizations of what is now the Desert Southwest USA started getting squeezed by drought to the extent that death rates were so high in what is now Arizona that there are/were giant mass graves under what is today Phoenix, containing people with alarming malnutrition-related disorders. The drought they faced was far worse than the one there today, and eventually the Salt River Valley was abandoned, but the tribes did not go extinct, they just migrated. The Tohono and Akimel peoples are the likely descendants of those tribes.

One tribe that lived in the Salt River Valley in 1200-1400 CE is known as "Hohokam", which in the Pima language means "completely used up". Pima bards tell of how the peoples of the SRV used up all the resources available to them, and then most died and the rest fled.

Humanity will survive, but our civilization is likely doomed. Mankind will rediscover what it is like to work growing/raising your own food, or die. Whether that is good or bad is a matter of philosophy. The 1% are terrified that they will lose their cushy lifestyles, and they will.

I thought she was speaking about autism & NT.. I thought what a harsh speech.. Didnt know that was about climate change (at the bottom, too small, & havent heard of her before). If for climate change, then it's really good.

CO2 is plant food. Do humans affect the climate and environment? Yes but it's with actual pollutants. That being said I think it is wrong to use children to push an agenda.

You're a part of the underclass, focus on that first because no one is going to really listen to you otherwise.

I can agree with this statement, only problem is people will never actually act unless it's too late. We are too complacent and willfully unaware of what's really going on with the world.

l think we need more young adults like her, she took a stance and decided to stand out and speak up despite the consequence. l am interested to see if she will go into public service.

As far as climate change goes here's my view - The earth will continue until Sol consumes it, we might not.
It's just a question of will we make ourselves truly children of the stars and how many other species will we kill along the way.

She is one of the most amazing people I've ever seen and she is incredibly articulate about climate change. If you haven't heard her I urge you to do so. I am so thrilled she has been nominated for a Nobel Peace prize! And so glad she told off the heads of state at the UN- they needed to hear that. I just can't understand how people can totally ignore reality and science but unfortunately there are an awful lot of people who do. I think Greta is right- most people could care less about the impact of climate change on others, amazingly even when they themselves have children.

I am really tired of Greta!

Why does she have to be everywhere now? Literally? I came here to take a break from politics, environment and everything - click on "interest" and JESUS CHRIST, HERE SHE IS AGAIN. Isn't here a section for politics specifically? I hidden this section during registration, because I am tired of politics - all the Brexit, Climate things, Trump upset me. And now this!

Can you - at least - put it into the politics section next time, please?

She really has no business speaking on the issue regardless of what you think on it, she's just being used by other people(including her own mother) to push their own agendas with emotionally driven platitudes. Children should not be used to push political agendas.

I like her and also am worried about climate. I think we should invite her to this forum because she has ASD. But, she made a little miss because travelling across Atlantic with a ship lasts 7 days and ships also pollute air, the best for our planet is not to travel except travelling by bike. Also, electric cars that she wants us to drive don't pollute, but power plants pollute (except wind and solar). If we are vegans we must eat vegetables and vegetable production also pollutes. Unfortunantely, there is no help, but at least a girl with ASD is leading a happy and succesful life.

New Threads

Top Bottom