• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mathophobe

Fearful and Loathsome in New York.
Hi, I'm Mathophobe. I suck at math, but I'm pretty good at English for some reason. I recently diagnosed myself with Asperger's after years of contemplating my idiosyncratic behaviors. My fascinations include birds, '90's media, 20th-century politics, the U.S. judicial system, philosophy, gender relations/biology, vintage Western animation, Americana, fluorescent lighting, nighttime environments, fluorescent lighting in nighttime environments, orchestral symphonies, and foreign arts/cultures. My pet peeves include bigotry, hypocrisy, arrogance, willful ignorance, certain sounds, inconsistencies, bossy/manipulative people, interruptions while I'm trying to work, and (of course) doing math. I'm also overwhelmingly sympathetic toward children. It's great to be here:D

Welcome to the Forums, I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process!

upload_2018-12-31_19-50-55.png

Hi, I'm Mathophobe. I suck at math, but I'm pretty good at English for some reason. I recently diagnosed myself with Asperger's after years of contemplating my idiosyncratic behaviors. My fascinations include birds, '90's media, 20th-century politics, the U.S. judicial system, philosophy, gender relations/biology, vintage Western animation, Americana, fluorescent lighting, nighttime environments, fluorescent lighting in nighttime environments, orchestral symphonies, and foreign arts/cultures. My pet peeves include bigotry, hypocrisy, arrogance, willful ignorance, certain sounds, inconsistencies, bossy/manipulative people, interruptions while I'm trying to work, and (of course) doing math. I'm also overwhelmingly sympathetic toward children. It's great to be here:D

Hello,
Please don't fear math. My undergraduate minor was in math and I went on to study group theory
whilst studying molecular spectroscopy. Math and music seem to go together.
I prefer music!

I like your post!

I find it interesting that you dislike math so much that it rises above everything and becomes your username!

But who am I to say usernames are interesting, mine is part of a word I made up when I was a kid when I had to make a password and was told to choose something people couldn't guess. I figured a made-up word would be the most difficult thing to guess. I thought this was a normal, common decision for passwords.

Wrong-o! :eek:

Welcome to the forum! I share the same pet peeves, as well, and I have what is referred to as dyscalculia, which is, basically, like dyslexia, but, with numbers. 'All/ most Aspies/ HFA are gifted at math', is proving to be, yet, another myth... : )

Last edited:
Fluorescent lighting can be a little interesting, but I find night lighting a little more interesting in general. It often stimulates thought on my part. Often intimidating (maybe because I grew up in New York City and Environs) but once in a while benign.

I like your post!

I find it interesting that you dislike math so much that it rises above everything and becomes your username!

But who am I to say usernames are interesting, mine is part of a word I made up when I was a kid when I had to make a password and was told to choose something people couldn't guess. I figured a made-up word would be the most difficult thing to guess. I thought this was a normal, common decision for passwords.

Wrong-o! :eek:

My username is just a hyperbole. I don't actually hate math, and I certainly don't view people who prefer math over E.L.A. as inferior or antagonistic. To be honest, I wish I were better with numbers than words. Mathematicians are far more valuable members of society than writers in my humble, self-deprecatory opinion.

My username is just a hyperbole. I don't actually hate math, and I certainly don't view people who prefer math over E.L.A. as inferior or antagonistic. To be honest, I wish I were better with numbers than words. Mathematicians are far more valuable members of society than writers in my humble, self-deprecatory opinion.

I prefer writing, but I understand!

Writers change the world every day by moving hearts and minds. Not many people quote formulae and equations on social media ;)
What matters is using one's intellect, not which particular skill one is stronger in :)

Fluorescent lighting can be a little interesting, but I find night lighting a little more interesting in general. It often stimulates thought on my part. Often intimidating (maybe because I grew up in New York City and Environs) but once in a while benign.
I enjoy night lighting as well, but there's just something about fluorescent lighting that helps me channel my inner peace. Some time ago my friend and I smoked in a parking garage that was illuminated solely by fluorescent lights. It was almost midnight, and rain was coming down hard, though of course we were safe from the downpour. The atmosphere gave me a sense of catharsis akin to smashing a mirror in rage and then looking at your reflection in the scattered shards. Or something like that.

New Threads

Top Bottom