• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Greetings! Officially diagnosed college student here

KandelDragon

Greetings, all! I'm new to the server!

A bit of backstory (apologies if it gets lengthy)-

I am fortunate enough to have received an autism diagnosis very young (around the age of three). However, after a considerable amount of ABA therapy, I learned to present as neurotypical passing, or at least close to it. I was lauded by my parents and teachers as a success story- perhaps the so-called"optimal outcome" (although I very much dislike the term and its implications) that gets talked about in some autism literature? I never really questioned that convenient narrative of somehow "overcoming" disability and never having difficulty again, even as I quietly struggled to mask through my middle school and high school years.

I think it was meeting my best friend and now partner which shifted that in-hindsight toxic worldview. I trusted them enough to disclose my diagnosis to them, albeit in the context of apologizing for any potentially disconcerting stimming I let through. In response they told me that they loved me in part for my autistic quirks, not in spite of them. They made me feel safe to stim as much as I needed and wanted, they seemed to enjoy it when I infodumped to them about chaos theory or neurotoxins or one of my other special interests, and they encouraged me to seek accommodations when I struggled with timed tests despite my fears of being seen as stupid. I found the more open I became about my autism, the more completely myself I felt.

Now I'm at university, with more independence then I've ever before had, and I want to learn more about my autistic facets. I'm finally requesting those accomodations (although internalized ableism and general pridefulness still makes admitting to needing help difficult), and I decided at last to ask some of my questions and express some of my feelings after lurking here for a time. I'm happy to finally have worked up the nerve to introduce myself to you all!

Hi and welcome from another newbie!

You're indeed lucky that you're young enough to have had all the therapeutical and diagnostical measures at such a young age. When I was three, I did have some quirks (quite a good deal of them, to be honest) but in the late 1970s no one cast a closer look at it. So I am now 45, still undiagnosed (well, self-diagnosed and with the backup by of someone in the know), and on my journey to learning to accept myself.

Anyhow, enough about me. Enjoy reading and exploring, share your experiences and have a good time!

upload_2020-9-26_8-52-2.png

Welcome! Your experience as a child with ABA is testament to what so many others of us also experienced and proved. ABA ultimately sets out to "cure" autism in a sense by trying to rid someone of their more "problematic" autistic traits. You and so many others prove that it's not something that can be "cured" and moreover it's not something that should be or needs to be "cured". I'm glad that you're allowing yourself to "be you" and that you have a partner who accepts you as you are, as an autistic person.

Hi and welcome. It does seem naive of people who recommend ABA to have the idea that it's a cure. Let's all devise a cure for neurotypical people shall we? Ha. Hope you enjoy it here amongst us, and feel validated as a quirky yet whole human.

:snake::cactus::crocodile::cactus::turtle::cactus::dragon:

New Threads

Top Bottom