• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Greetings from California

CMZ

Just introducing myself. I am 48 and have many of the symptoms of being on the autism spectrum although the thought of that being the case never really entered my mind until I was around 40 and had people telling me they thought I had Asperger's and/or that I might be on the autism spectrum. I got married about two and a half years ago and my very astute wife has researched it extensively and is convinced I am somewhere on the spectrum. I have also been to a neuropsychologist who didn't put a label on what I had, but, after some testing, largely confirmed it. She said, "For you to get to where you can operate normally each day you essentially have to put in the effort that it takes to climb Mt. Everest." I do believe I have pretty good intelligence but have also long felt that certain "normal" things (standard executive function?) just do not come easily to me and some things I really don't compute at all. I even remember being around 7 or 8 and feeling rather bright in some ways but also having a realization that in some ways my brain function was stunted, for lack of a better word.

So, just looking for a group where I can talk about these things, and from having looked through some of the other threads here I believe this could be a good group for that.

09dc1ca1ca987a9c8482853ae6961f0e.png

Hi, welcome! I'm in my 40's, too and it's always good to see another older person on here. What ways have you been able to compensate for your executive function issues? That is one of the areas I have the most problems with.

Hi, welcome! I'm in my 40's, too and it's always good to see another older person on here. What ways have you been able to compensate for your executive function issues? That is one of the areas I have the most problems with.

Thanks for the welcome, tree and kay. I'm not sure I have been able to compensate for that yet. I'm kind of mentally exhausted all the time and cannot do regular in-office jobs for work or else I have all sorts of problems. In my current job I can do a fair amount of work from home but the people who work in the office tend to wonder why I'm not there all the time. It tends to be extremely hard to wake up in the morning and then it's very, very hard to get up and out and functioning. If I don't have pressure to come into the office and can get stuff done at home then I am okay and at around 3 or 4pm in the afternoon I finally feel okay enough to leave and head to work. Of course by that point most people are wrapping up their work days. So it creates constant grief for everyone.

Hi CMZ, I'm 49 and there's lots of us here around the same age, welcome and I'm happy you joined! :)

Thank you, Starfire. Is it common here for people not have an ASD diagnosis until later in life?

Thank you, Starfire. Is it common here for people not have an ASD diagnosis until later in life?

Yes it is very common. Bear in mind there was no Aspergers/ASD diagnosis until around 1994 when many of us had already muddled our way through school and were trying to figure out why things didn't seem to be working for us like other people around, in the big wide world. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me, but I believe that is correct.

Muddled our way through school and were trying to figure out why things didn't seem to be working for us like other people around, in the big wide world.

I know that feeling all too well. Everyone telling me to just get with it, and, "Why can't you just be like everyone else?" etc.

Yes that sort of thing is very common, it's a bit easier for Aspies to be recognised these days as people are a little more aware, at school type institutions especially. I have been blessed with a NT and an ASD officially diagnosed daughter, I love them both equally, plus my NT wife of course, I'm very lucky! :)

Hi there, Ha we are the same age and but what is strange is that I was 40 when I first heard about aspergers.

You really do say it so well, about the time when you were around 7 or 8, because that is how I felt too and still do. I sense that I am not stupid, but at the same time, extremely ignorant with many things.

I have been told that with all I have had to deal with, I am actually pretty well normal and should feel proud of myself, but that eternal, annoying habit of comparing, undoes it all and I, of course, always come out badly.

Anyway, you have come to a great place.

Yeah, and I suppose sometimes that what people perceive as our "normal" behavior is us doing a whole lot of propping ourselves up to appear normal.

On another note, I am noticing in yours and others' signatures that there are neurodiverse and neurotypical scores mentioned. I know there are various assessments online but are people here in this group doing theirs all at the same place?

Last edited:
no you just type in autism diagnosis,some members have the abbreviations at the bottom of their profile Page or posts .I did Simon Baron Cohens test there is the Meyer Briggs test and the RAADS test.

New Threads

Top Bottom