• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Greetings fellow humans!

IceIsReallyCool

I'm new here - like just got here five minutes ago new. I've been diagnosed with ADHD, severe anxiety and depression. There's a good chance that I'm autistic but that is to be determined. One thing that definitely made me consider Autism is that my brother (who is diagnosed autistic) just assumed I already had my diagnosis. I have had some of my friends tell me that I may be autistic also. My fiancé is autistic and literally all my friends are some type of neurodiverse. I've been reading about the subject and people who are ND are likely to stick together, similarly to NT people tend to stick together. That makes sense though as ND and NT communication styles are incredibly different. I figure even if I'm not autistic though, I have people in my life who are and I hope to learn a lot of helpful information on the matter.

I'm down for book recommendations to add to my to read list on Autism/ADHD. I'd love to talk about books on this subject with people. I've already listened to Unmasking Autism by Devon Price PhD, and Divergent Mind by Jenara Nerenberg. I'm currently listening to Different, Not Less by Chloe Hayden.

Hi there. I am adverse to book learn'in on this subject so have no suggestions, but have found talking with others on the spectrum in this and other autism forums very helpful in my own self diagnosis and understanding of what it is (and isn't). That said we do have people here very knowledgable about the literary material out there and hopefully some will chime in.

Hey, welcome to the forum. Resources is great to check out. And check out the various posts discussing ND here also.

Welcome! Are there any specific sub-topics or themes that may be of interest? Unmasking Autism is a great starting point - almost too good because it makes some other works kind of pale in comparison, but there's books on specific themes, and also lots of memoirs as well.

Humans?! Where?! I see no humans~

But in all seriousness. Welcome, @IceIsReallyCool

You've definitely come to the right place to learn more about autism, and maybe yourself. The resources tab near the top is where all the reading material is. Other than that, you have us to ask questions to about anything you maybe unsure about~

Hello and welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy your time here and find what you're looking for!

We have a few non humans here, just so you know. I'm a rabbit, there's one member who is an alien and an unofficial member and mascot who is a dragon. We come in all kinds.

Ice is really cool, I agree! Nice to have you here, welcome. I hope you enjoy your time here.

I got confused, Icels really cool, or ice is really cool? But definitely welcomed here.

welcome to af.png

Before Autism was a thing, I knew I was attracted to "Bohemian, " artistic types, because they valued eccentricity. I never worry too much about labels. Professionals define those when they see someone with only one major difference, but are baffled by seeing two or more at once, which is the usual condition. There are dozens of sets of "personality types" that don't have much resemblance to each other, but they can all help someone organize their thoughts about people. I read a list of reasons people were confined in mental institutions 200 years ago, and it has completely changed. For instance, not wanting to be a slave is no longer considered an illness.

Welcome Ice :) My wife is ADHD and I am autistic, and we have a lot of overlap, with also a lot of differences. I will agree that ND people tend to gravitate together, since we all look for people who will actually understand our thought and speech processes (or at least open and willing to put effort into it). I hope you find some good resources and also people to speak with here. The forums tend to be quite supportive and friendly.
iStock_000004213247_Large-604x270.jpg

I got confused, Icels really cool, or ice is really cool? But definitely welcomed here.
Oh you're good! It's Ice Is Really Cool. I'm notorious in my friend group for making puns and jokes so terrible that people somehow die on the inside while at least smiling. I'm very proud of my talents lol

Welcome Ice :) My wife is ADHD and I am autistic, and we have a lot of overlap, with also a lot of differences. I will agree that ND people tend to gravitate together, since we all look for people who will actually understand our thought and speech processes (or at least open and willing to put effort into it). I hope you find some good resources and also people to speak with here. The forums tend to be quite supportive and friendly.
View attachment 104395
First of all, love the ice! It's really cool!

I agree there is a lot of overlap between ADHD and autism. When I first got with my partner I was like "Wait so how are you different? Cuz I do that too and I don't have autism or ADHD." Turns out I was wrong and I at least have ADHD. I found out I have ADHD after me and my partner got together because I related way too much to not talk to my psychiatrist about it

New Threads

Top Bottom