• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

grandson wants a tattoo

Pats

V.I.P Member
My (almost) 21 year old grandson told me yesterday that he loved me and that he wanted to get a tattoo, but wanted to somehow include me. Because I love moose, and the trip we went on together he was awakened from his sleep the first night (sleeping outside in a hammock) by a moose, he thought a moose tattoo and wanted me to help pick one out. I asked if he wanted cute, serious or what and he said 'strong'.
Last night, something came to mind and I couldn't get it out of my mind - that trip we shared moose, grizzly with 3 cubs, tetons - plus so many other things. Anyhow - I came up with this.
56547430_10214614521425208_7927283007231098880_n.jpg

He wants it on his calf and, of course, it would need to be colored in. But what do you guys think?

I think it's awesome. Has he had any tattoos before? I only have tattoos on my arms, but I've heard the calf can be particularly painful!

Last edited:
It is beautiful! In case you are asking for our thoughts in terms of the content, since it is a moose he has specified, I might make the bear a bit smaller in scale. I think it's nice that you included it, however, as both had been a special part of your trip.

He loved it and going to use it! I'll have to try to remember to take a picture of the finished product and post it. Of course, the tattoo artist will make some changes - will make improvements.

It is beautiful! In case you are asking for our thoughts in terms of the content, since it is a moose he has specified, I might make the bear a bit smaller in scale. I think it's nice that you included it, however, as both had been a special part of your trip.
Oh I also told him he can scan it and make adjustments on the size. I'll mention that to him, too. Also told him the trees probably should be a little bigger.

The thing that really scares me about tattoos isn't the pain, it's how permanent they are. I've seen plenty tattoo fails made by "artists" who can't draw, and definitely can't spell, and the person who got it is stuck with it for life. And even if you like the tattoo when you get it, you might not like it a year from now, let alone the rest of your life.

Yep, I've seen many failures in the later not liking it. So many people get things that are faddish and they go out of style, and there ya are. I have a small dreamcatcher - something that would always be me - and I kept it without color - very simple. I got it as a bonding thing with my son. I think girls tend to do more faddish things and not think ahead. One of my daughter's got a pot leaf - lol - knew that one would come back to bite her. She had it covered with a lily.

I'm no tattoo fan, mainly because of the permanence thing, and don't have any myself, but I think animal tattoos, if done right, can look pretty good and are content neutral. Some young women here in Sacramento have had drawings of owls done on their forearms, and the ones I've seen were very well done. A wolf and bear would be very masculine. Just make sure he gets a tattoo artist who knows what he's doing. If he has to pay more, great.

It looks wonderful! I'm sure he'll appreciate it :)

I might get a Tattoo myself in the future; nerd/geek related, naturally :p Sadly however if I do get one and decide to go to Japan at some point later down the line, it'd mean I can't go to the swimming pools/hot springs there :( but alas :)

Holy crap! Looks amazing!

I'm not sure if I'd get a tatoo. Maybe some place with more soft flesh such as my upper arm. I might be fine with getting a tatoo on my chest. Not sure, though.

Having a tattoo with a misspelling or other mistake would have to involve someone not licensed and/or not someone not at a legitimate establishment, such as the basement of your friend's house. A professional would do a drawing first then make that into a thing that goes onto your skin as a "temporary tattoo" for them to do the actual tattoo over, and THEN the actual tattoo begins, with each part happening very slowly at the thin tip of the needle.

For a mistake to get past all of that requires drugs, alcohol, purposeful negligence, or for some/most of that to be skipped.

I also thought the calf would be more painful than other areas because of the thin, exposed, boniness of it, but it actually wasn't the worst. It may be be a bit worse than somewhere like the thigh, but not significantly more.

It's the ribs that hurt. So much. I kept thinking it was infected or I got shot or something, but it was exactly how it should be. And so much blood!

That's awesome that you contributed to something that will be with him forever! It's beautiful! :)

I guess I just have a different conception of time than other people. They say, "you want that there forever??"

But humans don't live forever. :eek:

I know, people mean, "your whole life". :rolleyes:

Is it odd that I don't see that as a particularly long time?

I have eight tattoos and counting! :cool:

Last edited:
Looks great :)

All that more special as it celebrates a moment in time between the two of you and you designed it.
(That part I really liked :) )

Agree with @Fino,
It would have to be lack of experience and training, faulty hygiene or some overwhelming mind altering chemical that would result in a mistake.

The people I’ve interacted with were professional, a real sense of personal pride in their work and I could recognise that ‘in the zone’ thing while they were working.

New Threads

Top Bottom