• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Grandma here, concerned for grandson

TonnaRee

Hi there. I am here today out of, I guess, desperation?

My grandson is 4 and is the light of my world. He is sweet, smart, funny, creative and generally wonderful. When he was an infant he had feeding issues and sleep issues. He had verbal delays, not speaking until just after his third birthday. He is now 4 and speaks although not clearly.

Because of the verbal delay, his pediatrician had the school district do an evaluation for him, and the school district has diagnosed him with autism. However, his mom (my daughter) and dad don't accept this diagnosis. They say he is strong willed, and maybe has ADHD, but not autism.

Well, first of all, the preschool the school district sent him to was a special ed preschool and it did wonders for him. He has always had trouble transitioning from one thing to the next, so the school gave him a checklist to use and it has worked wonders for him.

But now, school is out for the summer, and he has seemed to regress on some of the strides forward he had taken. He was at vacation bible school today, and they asked my daughter to take him home and not come back because the leaders can't handle him.

The problem today was that he wanted to sit by a friend and they told him no, so he got mad and went to sit by himself. Then they told him he had to come sit down right now or leave, and that sent him over the edge. He was screaming and crying and yelling, and could not calm down. So, now he is excluded. That makes me so sad!

So, my question is, is the school district right? Is he autistic? My daughter and son-in-law are afraid if they go with that diagnosis, "officially" that it will limit his future. But sometimes I wonder if they are right, and there is something else that he is struggling with.

The reasons why sometimes I wonder about autism being the correct diagnosis is that:
1. He is very artistic. He draws better than kids twice his age.
2. He likes playing with other kids.
3. Some of his behaviors seem to be just naughtiness. He talks back to adults, he refuses to listen and just does what he wants, etc.

The reasons I think autism might be the correct diagnosis are:
1. He has a very hard time transitioning from something he enjoys to something else, even if he enjoys the next activity too.
2. When he is upset and things go too far before he can calm down, he loses it. Screams, cries, yells at people, hits, and it takes at least a half an hour to settle down after these episodes.
3. He has a lot of "catch phrases", things he has heard others say and he uses them frequently. Things like "come on!" and "can you do me a favor?".

*sigh* I am hoping some of you on this forum can give me some advice and direction. I just want what is best for him and help him through some of these challenges.

Thanks for listening.

Sounds likes he's autistic. If the school distract agree as we I would 99.99 percent sure he wasn't. I think the best you can do is get him diagnosed is it will open so many doors for him.

You - are clearly the best thing in his life.

As an outside observer, you'll notice things much sooner than his parents or any practitioner.

- Routine is so important
- use of catch phrases or movie quotes is a classic trait for kids
- not transitioning from one activity to the next is also classic for kids

The parents need to realize that this is not going away, this is how he is wired and that will not change much over time. They need to get behind that which works, and support him for his talent/strengths.

upload_2017-6-20_14-47-57.png

The other thing for the parents, they should look into one of them providing full time care an possibly home schooling. the more advanced home schooling programs now include interaction with other home schooled kids which is good for everyone.

Thanks everyone. Would having a medical diagnosis from a doctor be of any benefit vs. him having just the diagnosis from the school?
The other thing for the parents, they should look into one of them providing full time care an possibly home schooling. the more advanced home schooling programs now include interaction with other home schooled kids which is good for everyone.
I think homeschooling would be great for him, but unfortunately, I am not sure my daughter or son in law would be the best teachers. Actually, for him right now, going to school and getting help from teachers who understand his needs has been great. That is one of the reasons that I think he is somewhere on the spectrum. Maybe he doesn't present classically, but I have spend a lot of time around a lot of kids, and my grandson is definitely not typical.

You - are clearly the best thing in his life.

As an outside observer, you'll notice things much sooner than his parents or any practitioner.

- Routine is so important
- use of catch phrases or movie quotes is a classic trait for kids
- not transitioning from one activity to the next is also classic for kids

The parents need to realize that this is not going away, this is how he is wired and that will not change much over time. They need to get behind that which works, and support him for his talent/strengths.
Thank you! You are too kind!

Hi there. I am here today out of, I guess, desperation?

My grandson is 4 and is the light of my world. He is sweet, smart, funny, creative and generally wonderful. When he was an infant he had feeding issues and sleep issues. He had verbal delays, not speaking until just after his third birthday. He is now 4 and speaks although not clearly.

Because of the verbal delay, his pediatrician had the school district do an evaluation for him, and the school district has diagnosed him with autism. However, his mom (my daughter) and dad don't accept this diagnosis. They say he is strong willed, and maybe has ADHD, but not autism.

Well, first of all, the preschool the school district sent him to was a special ed preschool and it did wonders for him. He has always had trouble transitioning from one thing to the next, so the school gave him a checklist to use and it has worked wonders for him.

But now, school is out for the summer, and he has seemed to regress on some of the strides forward he had taken. He was at vacation bible school today, and they asked my daughter to take him home and not come back because the leaders can't handle him.

The problem today was that he wanted to sit by a friend and they told him no, so he got mad and went to sit by himself. Then they told him he had to come sit down right now or leave, and that sent him over the edge. He was screaming and crying and yelling, and could not calm down. So, now he is excluded. That makes me so sad!

So, my question is, is the school district right? Is he autistic? My daughter and son-in-law are afraid if they go with that diagnosis, "officially" that it will limit his future. But sometimes I wonder if they are right, and there is something else that he is struggling with.

The reasons why sometimes I wonder about autism being the correct diagnosis is that:
1. He is very artistic. He draws better than kids twice his age.
2. He likes playing with other kids.
3. Some of his behaviors seem to be just naughtiness. He talks back to adults, he refuses to listen and just does what he wants, etc.

The reasons I think autism might be the correct diagnosis are:
1. He has a very hard time transitioning from something he enjoys to something else, even if he enjoys the next activity too.
2. When he is upset and things go too far before he can calm down, he loses it. Screams, cries, yells at people, hits, and it takes at least a half an hour to settle down after these episodes.
3. He has a lot of "catch phrases", things he has heard others say and he uses them frequently. Things like "come on!" and "can you do me a favor?".

*sigh* I am hoping some of you on this forum can give me some advice and direction. I just want what is best for him and help him through some of these challenges.

Thanks for listening.
1.art is a particular talent found amongst people all over the spectrum, and when art is exceptional from a young age in autists-its called savantism. you can check all the galleries out on here if you want an idea of how creative people with autism can be-a good example i recommend checking out is stephen wiltshire!
2.high functioning autistic people,especially those who arent significantly introverted LIKE playing with others but may struggle to know all the social rules involved in it, and may still be friendless despite wanting friends.
3.those are social rules issues,social rule issues are a feature of autism.

1.im exactly the same,even as a 33 year old-i experience what is called 'challenging behavior' when i transition from one thing to another but a PECS/pictorial timeline [also called schedule] helps.
2.just like me as a 33 year old except im on a lot of medications to 'straight jacket' it, what he is experiencing is meltdowns,a typical feature of ASD when input from your environment/senses etc exceed your brains tolerance/copeability,its not a tantrum which is behavior that is manipulated in a way to get something out of it, meltdowns cannot be helped but its about finding coping strategies to avoid them in the first place that would be his biggest help.
3.that is called echolalia -when an autistic echoes something that they have heard [or palilalia if they repeat something they have said] ,i still do it as a 33 year old,my speech is made up of echolalia unless its been scripted and practiced for a while in advance, however i am LFA and it sounds like your lad is typically HFA.

dont believe the stereotypes about autism,such as not being able to be loving/caring, having no empathy and/or sympathy,being non verbal for life etc, things can change for the better and things are much better now days for autistic kids.
best wishes.

1.art is a particular talent found amongst people all over the spectrum, and when art is exceptional from a young age in autists-its called savantism. you can check all the galleries out on here if you want an idea of how creative people with autism can be-a good example i recommend checking out is stephen wiltshire!
2.high functioning autistic people,especially those who arent significantly introverted LIKE playing with others but may struggle to know all the social rules involved in it, and may still be friendless despite wanting friends.
3.those are social rules issues,social rule issues are a feature of autism.

1.im exactly the same,even as a 33 year old-i experience what is called 'challenging behavior' when i transition from one thing to another but a PECS/pictorial timeline [also called schedule] helps.
2.just like me as a 33 year old except im on a lot of medications to 'straight jacket' it, what he is experiencing is meltdowns,a typical feature of ASD when input from your environment/senses etc exceed your brains tolerance/copeability,its not a tantrum which is behavior that is manipulated in a way to get something out of it, meltdowns cannot be helped but its about finding coping strategies to avoid them in the first place that would be his biggest help.
3.that is called echolalia -when an autistic echoes something that they have heard [or palilalia if they repeat something they have said] ,i still do it as a 33 year old,my speech is made up of echolalia unless its been scripted and practiced for a while in advance, however i am LFA and it sounds like your lad is typically HFA.

dont believe the stereotypes about autism,such as not being able to be loving/caring, having no empathy and/or sympathy,being non verbal for life etc, things can change for the better and things are much better now days for autistic kids.
best wishes.

Toothless, thank you so much for your reply! Your points really do make sense to me and are things I can use when I talk to my daughter about not being afraid of autism.
There are other issues my grandson has, such as being very sensitive to loud noises, and being rather rigid when playing (his Duplo Thomas train must be put together how it is on the box. Creativity is NOT allowed, lol).
I know in my heart that he is on the spectrum, and I suspect, deep down, my daughter does too, but is hoping by ignoring it, that it will go away. I want to accept the diagnosis and get him all the resources available so he can live his happiest, most fulfilling life. Actually, I know that is what my daughter and son-in-law want too.

Denial, it's not just a river.

At 54 I've just discovered that I am on the Spectrum and I have lived a good life, though a life with no awareness regarding autism or aspergers. Now as I inform my friends hey are in denial also, as how could they have a friend that is autistic.... They eventually learn that I am still the person I was a year ago, I just know a lot more about autism and how/why it impacts my life and the lives of those close to me.

Best wishes with the parents awareness, they need to get awareness before their child realizes that his own parents hold him like he has a contagious disease. Autism is a neurological condition that was determined at conception.

Help them accept the reality.

A word of acknowledgement - people on the spectrum are very straight forward communicators who speak without filters. Welcome!

Here is some good stuff: According to the US CDC 2014

- About 1% of the global population has Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Prevalence within the US is 1 in 68 births
- Prevalence within the state of NJ is 1 in 41 births, which is also 1 in 26 boys
- 4.5 times higher in boys than girls
- ASD is now more prevalent than Type I Diabetes.

To be honest this may not even be "naughtiness". He may just be communicating in a way that seems straightforward and logical to him, and he may have a harder time understanding authority structures/hierarchy.

So, I talked to my daughter about my feeling like my grandson is on the spectrum, and this is what she sent me in response :

Symptoms if ADHD in Infants and Young Children

Crying inconsolably
Screaming
Restlessness
Poor or little sleep
Difficult feeding
Refuses affection and cuddles
Head banging or rocking fits or temper tantrums

Symptoms in Older Children

Impulsiveness
Clumsiness
Constantly moving
Destructive or disruptive behavior
Accident proneness
Bouts of fatigue, weakness and listlessness
Aggressiveness
Poor concentration ability
Vocal repetition and loudness
Withdrawn behavior
Restlessness
School failure despite normal or high IQ
Poor sleep with nightmares
Poor appetite and erratic eating habits
Poor coordination
Irritable, uncooperative, disobedient, self-injurious, nervous, very moody or depressed
Hypersensitive to odors, lights, sound, heat and cold
Nose and skin picking or hair pulling
Bed wetting (enuresis)
Dark circles or puffiness below the eyes
Red earlobes or red cheeks
Swollen neck glands or fluid behind ear drums

*sigh* Some of these things do sound like him. Should I try insisting on neuro-psych testing?

Without a diagnosis, we can be judged.
With a diagnosis, we can be supported! :)

Welcome! This bright little guy is super-lucky to have you for his grandma!

I hope his parents embrace the label sooner rather than later.
Go ahead and label me, after all, labels are made for gifts. :)
With the correct autism-specific supports and accommodations in place, your grandson can go much farther than he could without them. A formal diagnosis also allows supports for his parents, too, from the state, if he leaves vets in USA. The Department of Developmental Services can connect the family with a very supportive agency.

I'm wishing the best for your sweet grandson!

Sorry but that could also down to severe stress and the list is partially coping mechanisms
she is obviously disturbed by the possibility of autism its unknown to her like a cancer diagnosis would be and as usual outsiders only like what is comforting to them
i dont do a dance of joy everyday but neither am i thinking i need a cure for autism
There needs to be a cure oonly

New Threads

Top Bottom