• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Grandkids sleepover night

Pats

V.I.P Member
I had to let the cashier at the grocery store today know that all those cookies, flavored crackers, candy, chips, pop tarts, etc. was not for me, that I'm having a grandkids sleepover tonight. lol Although the chocolate covered cherries ARE for me. :) It's that time of year for my yearly fruit intake. lol
Yes, I try to have the things here I know they like and I don't have to care about the nutrition value (they get that at home). It's one of the great things about being a grandma. I have a room packed with toys and fresh play dough and at ages 4,5 and 6 (which are the ones I'm getting tonight) they are beginning to take over my computer while they're here. Kids today - I showed them how to use the mouse instead of touching the screen and they love playing the search games so getting the mouse pointer right over a small object is teaching them dexterity, right? I like being the 'fun' grandma but it does backfire because when my grown kids are here and I want to visit with them the little ones are wanting me to play with them. So, it's exhausting when they're here and can get a bit overwhelming, but they love it and that's what counts. Watching me with the kids, everyone thinks I love it just as much, but I don't. I love the kids and I love watching them play together and stuff, and I'll teach them how to make things with the play dough or to draw or whatever craft, but I would rather be doing something else. I just remind myself that this time belongs to them and that's when stepping outside to smoke a cigarette is actually beneficial. :) This time I said I'll come get them and I'll bring them home because with the added new baby, I know they have a lot on them. Besides I hate when they agree to come get them because they will tell me they'll be here around 1. So come 1 I'm done. I wait and wait and wait and stirring inside and getting more and more irritable because I was done at 1 and now it's 5. I would have been okay if I had know 5, but in my mind I was done at 1. Does that make sense to anyone else?

Well, to top this off. The other day my daughter texted me that she felt bad because her dad, who lives in Georgia had called and asked her if he could stop by there Wed evening on his way to Ohio, take them to dinner and possibly spend the night. She told him they really had a lot going on. I felt bad for her and know it's a long trip from near Atlanta to Akron (near Cleveland) so I texted that if he needed to stop on his way he was welcome to stay here Wed night. Why did I offer that? Yes, we can get a long for a short time and I have the extra bed, but I usually only do a maximum of one stressful thing a week. He said he'll let me know - I am a little further out of his way, so I'm kind of counting on him deciding not to, but with him it's hard to tell. I'll add to this thread and let ya know how it all goes.

08F10BB4-B757-4074-A86B-0D616BDEB655.jpeg
ewww no. lol but I have cheese puffs. :)

Do you have the shirt?!

Besides I hate when they agree to come get them because they will tell me they'll be here around 1. So come 1 I'm done. I wait and wait and wait and stirring inside and getting more and more irritable because I was done at 1 and now it's 5. I would have been okay if I had know 5, but in my mind I was done at 1. Does that make sense to anyone else?
Yes, this makes sense to me - it's ok if its five or ten minutes, but if it's many hours, I'm expecting them to arrive and to be doing something else, and when they don't, I get impatient and annoyed. I think it's inconsiderate when people do that, people should stick to their plan.

Are your kids criticizing you for being careless or letting them enjoy the wrong things too much?

Snacks and Play Dough! Man, I’m coming over! Not really, lol. You ARE the fun grandma!
That is so funny telling the cashier the goodies are for your grandkids (like she even cares) but we feel like we have to explain that we aren’t going on a binge...

Are your kids criticizing you for being careless or letting them enjoy the wrong things too much?
not sure what you're asking here. careless?
My kids know I'm going to have cookies, let them have chocolate milk and bagel bites for supper. All these kids are picky eaters and I'm going to have things they like and if it's cookies, then cookies be it. :) They do trust me with the kids and I probably watch them closer than the parents do. But they're not here that often and when they do come, they're gonna want to come back. :)

I'm really looking forward to.being a grandma. My kids are 28, 26, nearly 25, nearly 24, 20, 17 and 13. So one of them, will surely, deliver at some stage.
I hope things go smoothly and you all enjoy yourselves and each other!

Watching me with the kids, everyone thinks I love it just as much, but I don't. I love the kids and I love watching them play together and stuff, and I'll teach them how to make things with the play dough or to draw or whatever craft, but I would rather be doing something else.
This is how work feels like with me. Talking and interacting with the kids, or anyone, isn't something that is intuitive and natural to me, I fidn it tiring and I always want to return to my natural state.

I can’t think of anything better than having grandchildren stay Pats.

I get as much out of that time as they do.

The great thing is, it’s for a fraction of time. It’s not forever so I can go ‘full on grandma’ for that short amount of time. (They’re always going to return to their parents)

I know some of their interests and can offer a simple environment to encourage curiosity, experimenting, reasoning, sometimes finding answers, sometimes not, there’s no ‘fail’ there’s always opportunity to try something a different way in order to get a result.

I don’t know how you feel Pats, I find grandchildren easier to handle than children.
Perhaps it’s because I’ve had some practice with their parents?
Perhaps it’s because I know they’re handed back at the end of our time together and I can rest?
Perhaps it’s all of the fun stuff with only a fraction of the responsibility?
But there’s nothing quite like spending time with grandchildren :)

I'm really looking forward to.being a grandma. My kids are 28, 26, nearly 25, nearly 24, 20, 17 and 13. So one of them, will surely, deliver at some stage.
I hope things go smoothly and you all enjoy yourselves and each other!
wow. 7 You really had your hands full. My youngest daughter asked me yesterday how to get through it. I told her make sure the lock on her bedroom door works so she can go into time out, grit your teeth and when they're grown be proud that everyone is still living. :)

I don't have grandchildren, but I have a young niece in the UK. One thing I don't like when I visit, is how the adults behave around her - she is an only child, spoilt and there is competition as to who is going to spend the most time with her, buy her the most presents, etc. For example, an incident involving my brother: after I just spent the whole afternoon with my niece, we get home and my brother puts cartoons on the TV for her to watch. It's too loud for me, and I ask them to turn the TV down. My brother snaps at me and says "It's niece's time". Wtf? No way - I've just spent the whole afternoon with her, doing things with her; now it is my time!! And she isn't deaf - she doesn't need to have the TV on at full volume.

... the mouse pointer right over a small object is teaching them dexterity, right?

Hey Pats - I don't know "exactly" when I had my stroke last year. This is why they call it the silent killer. But I did notice when I got on my computer the morning of the incident that I could not work the computer mouse. Something was wrong! I went upstairs to talk to my wife about it but when I spoke, I sounded like a incoherent drunk. :confused: I said all this to provide confirmation to your question about dexterity. My Homopathic doctor even told me that playing some type of computer games where the mouse is utilized is a great way to "re-train" the brain. Action games are great, where you must quickly make a decision while at the same time coordinate the mouse to a small specific area on the screen. :cool:

If someone says they will arrive at 1 and arrived at 5 without even bothering to text or phone, good chance that I would not be around on them arriving ie in my bedroom having a meltdown.

My husband will text and say: on my way and I can feel myself tencing up and when he does arrive, jump out of my skin, so to speak, due to the alertness.

I actually rather he just turn up.

As for games. I love search item games and spot the difference.

I had to let the cashier at the grocery store today know that all those cookies, flavored crackers, candy, chips, pop tarts, etc. was not for me, that I'm having a grandkids sleepover tonight. lol Although the chocolate covered cherries ARE for me. :) It's that time of year for my yearly fruit intake. lol
Yes, I try to have the things here I know they like and I don't have to care about the nutrition value (they get that at home). It's one of the great things about being a grandma. I have a room packed with toys and fresh play dough and at ages 4,5 and 6 (which are the ones I'm getting tonight) they are beginning to take over my computer while they're here. Kids today - I showed them how to use the mouse instead of touching the screen and they love playing the search games so getting the mouse pointer right over a small object is teaching them dexterity, right? I like being the 'fun' grandma but it does backfire because when my grown kids are here and I want to visit with them the little ones are wanting me to play with them. So, it's exhausting when they're here and can get a bit overwhelming, but they love it and that's what counts. Watching me with the kids, everyone thinks I love it just as much, but I don't. I love the kids and I love watching them play together and stuff, and I'll teach them how to make things with the play dough or to draw or whatever craft, but I would rather be doing something else. I just remind myself that this time belongs to them and that's when stepping outside to smoke a cigarette is actually beneficial. :) This time I said I'll come get them and I'll bring them home because with the added new baby, I know they have a lot on them. Besides I hate when they agree to come get them because they will tell me they'll be here around 1. So come 1 I'm done. I wait and wait and wait and stirring inside and getting more and more irritable because I was done at 1 and now it's 5. I would have been okay if I had know 5, but in my mind I was done at 1. Does that make sense to anyone else?

Well, to top this off. The other day my daughter texted me that she felt bad because her dad, who lives in Georgia had called and asked her if he could stop by there Wed evening on his way to Ohio, take them to dinner and possibly spend the night. She told him they really had a lot going on. I felt bad for her and know it's a long trip from near Atlanta to Akron (near Cleveland) so I texted that if he needed to stop on his way he was welcome to stay here Wed night. Why did I offer that? Yes, we can get a long for a short time and I have the extra bed, but I usually only do a maximum of one stressful thing a week. He said he'll let me know - I am a little further out of his way, so I'm kind of counting on him deciding not to, but with him it's hard to tell. I'll add to this thread and let ya know how it all goes.

I totally understand your feelings. I love my grandchildren but I am always ready for them to go home, too.

New Threads

Top Bottom