• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Gradation

Fino

Alex
V.I.P Member
I've been thinking about asking this for months but always put it off because it's hard to think of the right word to explain it.

I LOVE gradation. Most of my life revolves around it!

"gra·da·tion
/ɡrāˈdāSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: gradation; plural noun: gradations
  1. a scale or a series of successive changes, stages, or degrees.
    "within the woodpecker family, there is a gradation of drilling ability"
    synonyms: range, scale, gamut, spectrum, sweep, compass, span; More

• a stage or change in a series of successive degrees.
      "minute gradations of distance"
    • a minute change from one shade, tone, or color to another."
Instead of trying to explain, here's some examples:

1. Reading 5-10 books at the same time, not the exact same time but some from each every day, and reading them at a rate so that they all finish the same day or finish successively by day or every other day or some other even pattern.
2. Anything which gradually runs out, such as soap, mouthwash, shaving cream--all very exciting.
3. The raising and lowering of doses or servings of anything in many planned increments.
4. Raising the volume of music at an even rate, such as once per song.

That's probably enough examples!

Yeah? :eek:

Ok, so maybe you deserve more than a one-word response. Gradation is awesome. It pisses me off to no end that my conditioner will always run out way before my shampoo does. The struggle is real.

So I'm not alone :) I like watching the levels of things rise or fall, increasing and decreasing. Things making progress. My collection growing. I can become quite obesssive about it. If I need to download or upload a large file, I sit and stare at the little bar watching it download.

Your examples of gradation prove our excessively intricate skills as organizing, categorizing, and I suppose "deconstruction" - the reverse value of creative construction. In my opinion, this unavoidable way of thinking shows our keen sense of the production process, useful in many ways in life. We laugh because we notice the weird things we do with this skill. Right now, I am nearing the end of a bag of cookies which contains 3 rows. Two are chocolate, and the middle row is vanilla. I remove cookies from each row equally at the same time to keep the 2-1 ratio identical. There is no point to it. I'm just drawn to doing things that way.

The weirdness might be a compulsion, but it represents a natural skill in organization. We acknowledge things in a 3-dimensional perspective. We calculate and evaluate on many scales, all to a specific end. I have always taken pride in this ability because I can laugh at my relationship to the cookies as total nonsense, but maintain and apply the skills where they are needed on more important tasks and projects. It means that you know how to see things through by managing a complex collection of actions and reactions. I don't believe that the way we think in such matters is something that can be taught. It's all about the wiring.

Love this too!

Ok, so maybe you deserve more than a one-word response. Gradation is awesome. It pisses me off to no end that my conditioner will always run out way before my shampoo does. The struggle is real.

Too true about the conditioner. I seriously get so mad about it!

Love this too!

Too true about the conditioner. I seriously get so mad about it!

I use a "3-in-1 Shampoo, Conditioner, and Bodywash," which reminds me of a joke from a comedian I can't remember the name of where he says that men get one bottle for all their needs and women have to get a bottle specifically to clean their left earlobe, or some other oddly specific thing.:D

I use a "3-in-1 Shampoo, Conditioner, and Bodywash," which reminds me of a joke from a comedian I can't remember the name of where he says that men get one bottle for all their needs and women have to get a bottle specifically to clean their left earlobe, or some other oddly specific thing.:D
I do the same, and I'm female :) I tend to use one kind of detergent for everything, too. My grandmother took it further. She used washing up liquid for everything, including her hair and body.

She did the fairy liquid adverts many years ago. Ubiquitous at the time.
You got me there - I have always hated TV ads and never paid them any attention, let alone knowing the names of the actors and actresses that perform in them. I have never really paid much attention to actors or actresses full stop, and have prosopagnosia, so don't recognise even the ones I do know.

You got me there - I have always hated TV ads and never paid them any attention, let alone knowing the names of the actors and actresses that perform in them. I have never really paid much attention to actors or actresses full stop, and have prosopagnosia, so don't recognise even the ones I do know.

Well now you know whom it is, I'll wait for the right context...
And use it a hundred more times until it finally works :)

Well now you know whom it is, I'll wait for the right context...
And use it a hundred more times until it finally works :)
I suggest you try someone else. You'll have more luck trying it with someone who is into movies/TV/pop culture than with me. I'm probably just about the worst person you could have tried. I rarely get reference humour.

I suggest you try someone else. You'll have more luck trying it with someone who is into movies/TV/pop culture than with me. I'm probably just about the worst person you could have tried. I rarely get reference humour.

Have you heard the one about Nanette Newman who walked into a bar?

New Threads

Top Bottom