• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Got telephone interview for Sue Ryder paid Charity shop job on Monday at 3 PM!

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Based on an online application about 3 weeks ago and an email earlier today, I have a phone interview on Monday 29.10.18 at 15.00.

As I just said in my Blog on here, I think this job might be more suitable than the Post Office job I'm interviewing for next week, because it's easier to get to, and is familiar work, as I've kind of made a career of working in Charity shops for free.

This interview is for a paid position as a Sales Assistant.

Based on an online application about 3 weeks ago and an email earlier today, I have a phone interview on Monday 29.10.18 at 15.00.

As I just said in my Blog on here, I think this job might be more suitable than the Post Office job I'm interviewing for next week, because it's easier to get to, and is familiar work, as I've kind of made a career of working in Charity shops for free.

I admire your stick-to-it-ness, @Mr Allen. This one will be the charm!

Just curious, Mr Allen, would the
Post Office job pay better, there,
as it would/does here, across the pond?

Note that I am not asking which is
more suitable---
just curious about the pay, is all.

Congrats on the interviews!

Just curious, Mr Allen, would the
Post Office job pay better, there,
as it would/does here, across the pond?

Note that I am not asking which is
more suitable---
just curious about the pay, is all.

Congrats on the interviews!

If the Post Office job pay is better, then I'd have to work less hours to satisfy the rules of what I can earn without adverse effect on my ESA.

Also, the Charity shop job is doing what I've been trained in moist of my adult life, selling stuff to customers, and it's still a paid position, and probably less hours, and the shop is easier to get to than the Sheffield Mail Centre at Brightside Lane.

But I can't decide which job to take unless I get offered both after I've had both interviews next week.

Last edited:
Well I've had the telephone interview today, it went well I think, but I'm not sure if my answer to the question of why did I leave the PDSA filled them with confidence, I had to explain about the guy who insulted me and kept bullying me about my weight and other issues, they asked why didn't I report it and I had to say that me Dad told me not to "rock the boat and make an atmosphere" by doing so (his words).

She said she'll be in touch in the next 24 hours to see if I'm going to the next stage, a face to face interview but I'm not getting my hopes up, fortunately PDSA don't give references good or bad so they won't comment on the way I left, but still...

Well hopefully Sue Ryder's will be in touch in the next hour.

As for the meeting this morning at the Sheffield Mail Centre, I need to spend £60 on a new Passport, they wouldn't accept other documents as proof of who I am without a Passport, I do have one but it's about 15 years out of date, and they requested an in date current Passport.

Government organisation! I was literally like, WTF?! I took every possible other document Dad could get his hands on for me for Christ sake what more do they want, I AM WHO I SAY I AM! Plus I don't have £60 to buy a new Passport, I am on BENEFITS for God sake!

As you can probably tell I am VERY angry about this.

As for the meeting this morning at the Sheffield Mail Centre, I need to spend £60 on a new Passport, they wouldn't accept other documents as proof of who I am without a Passport, I do have one but it's about 15 years out of date, and they requested an in date current Passport.

Government organisation! I was literally like, WTF?! I took every possible other document Dad could get his hands on for me for Christ sake what more do they want, I AM WHO I SAY I AM! Plus I don't have £60 to buy a new Passport, I am on BENEFITS for God sake!

As you can probably tell I am VERY angry about this.

I hear that. Welcome to the 21st century. Where there is a slow transition by government to mandate that many more added security measures when it comes to personal identity. I too will have to seek an added security measure in the next year just so I have sufficient proof of identity to board a commercial aircraft or visit federal office buildings when our laws change in 2020.

Maddening to deal with, but "it is what it is". There's no way around such things thanks to global terrorism and crime. Even securing a renewal on my drivers license isn't simple any more. And now there's even a drive in my state to tie in voter registration with one's drivers license.

In the case of your postal authorities, consider it just another way of bonding potential job applicants. That they must be able to identify you under much stricter security circumstances than usual given a higher "fidelity exposure". If you make it past the initial interview, expect an extensive background check to follow, much like applying for a constable's position.

Last edited:
I hear you on the passport thing mate - it IS maddening, but as @Judge says it's becoming increasingly common. Several years ago, before she had to give up work because of ill health, my wife was told exactly the same by a privately owned employment agency. They would not accept her on their books without a current passport. Again she took everything she had including a passport that had expired only 6 months prior, current photo driving licence and much more - but the same result: no passport, no dice!

When I was applying for jobs, I was told that I had to have a criminal records check - which cost 80 pounds at a time when I had very little money, not even benefits, and which did me no good whatsoever because they never offered me a job, such a waste of money and time.

When I was applying for jobs, I was told that I had to have a criminal records certificate - which cost 80 pounds at a time when I had very little money, not even benefits, and which did me no good whatsoever because they never offered me a job, such a waste of money and time.

Good point. More bad news. In any job that involves any kind of vetting over security matters, you can't expect the employer (public or private) to pick up the tab. Just another sign of the times.

Though even many years ago I once went through some rounds of high security jobs in government and man did they make me do all the "heavy lifting" just to apply and complete forms involving astronomical details of my entire life. Oh my.

Last edited:
I hear that. Welcome to the 21st century. Where there is a slow transition by government to mandate that many more added security measures when it comes to personal identity. I too will have to seek an added security measure in the next year just so I have sufficient proof of identity to board a commercial aircraft or visit federal office buildings when our laws change in 2020.

Maddening to deal with, but "it is what it is". There's no way around such things thanks to global terrorism and crime. Even securing a renewal on my drivers license isn't simple any more. And now there's even a drive in my state to tie in voter registration with one's drivers license.

In the case of your postal authorities, consider it just another way of bonding potential job applicants. That they must be able to identify you under much stricter security circumstances than usual given a higher "fidelity exposure". If you make it past the initial interview, expect an extensive background check to follow, much like applying for a constable's position.

Welcome to Royal Mail, which is on the verge of being privatised by the Tories.

Well I've been trying to chase up the Sue Ryder application since yesterday afternoon, I just rang them up and they said they'd ring me back on the landline, not holding my breath, I had the telephone interview on Monday and they said they'd be in touch within 24 hours and that should've been yesterday afternoon.

WHY do people write cheques they have no intention of cashing? Ie make promises they won't keep? SO annoying and should be illegal IMO.

New Threads

Top Bottom