• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Got super lucky

William Weiler

Ad Astra
I got hired at a startup here is Silicon Valley by a Founder that said he had learning disability. This is public knowledge though, he has a large web presence and talks about it often. He was discouraged from going to college. Long story short, he has a PhD from an ivy league school and founded this company. There are so many friendly people here, very few bad actors and almost everyone I can have a conversation with.

A startup is best for me because the bottom line is based on delivery, not on conformity, hence the eccentric tales of people in this place. No one said this, but it would be "nose ring is fine, in fact ten of them is fine, as long as you deliver the software by the deadline, and so the customer keeps paying us". It's not so much tolerance as survival. My social faux paus are painful, but I am actually quite popular and sought out.

My strengths are analysis, spatial organization and pattern recognition. I am great at taking a vague product definition, designing the circuit, picking the parts, doing the schematic and layout. Then working with the CM to get it made. Then bring up and firmware and software.

I don't have a degree in Engineering. Although my favorite equation is the exponential Fourier series. The founder's is the McCluscky algorithm, kind of a Karnaugh map, and my BF there is Maxwell's equations. I learned mostly through side projects for fun. I made a lot of robots.

Although my favorite equation is the exponential Fourier series. The founder's is the McCluscky algorithm, kind of a Karnaugh map, and my BF there is Maxwell's equations.

C4N3zMTWIAAxk4r.jpg

That is the perfect reply. I didn't know this a month ago, I had no idea. I always thought of the exponential fourier series, how cool it was. How it solved the series using the exponential function, a totally different math than the original. Total geeky thing to think about. Maybe something you don't share too much. Then my founder mentioned this function that got him going. (Kind of weird I thought). He then went and saw the professor who invented it. The professor liked him and made himself his advisor, and now he had a PhD. Wouldn't you be flattered if someone liked YOUR equation? How often does this happen exactly? Like never. Soooo, I asked my BF what his favorite equation was, and without hesitation he said Maxwells. Jesus Christ, do all you guys have favorite equations? Then on to reddit/math and yup, math geeks are like this. Uh Oh, I am a math geek. Maybe there is a support group. oh yeah, reddit/math. Wish I found this out sooner, I could have joined the math club in high school.

Just watch, someone will share their favorite equation.

Last edited:
Congrats!

Job search during Covid is very challenging (sucks!), I'm in the middle of that right now, hoping to make a connection somehow with a good job, not another crappy one...

That is the perfect reply. I didn't know this a month ago, I had no idea. I always thought of the exponential fourier series, how cool it was. How it solved the series using the exponential function, a totally different math than the original. Total geeky thing to think about. Maybe something you don't share too much. Then my founder mentioned this function that got him going. (Kind of weird I thought). He then went and saw the professor who invented it. The professor liked him and made himself his advisor, and now he had a PhD. Wouldn't you be flattered if someone liked YOUR equation? How often does this happen exactly? Like never. Soooo, I asked my BF what his favorite equation was, and without hesitation he said Maxwells. Jesus Christ, do all you guys have favorite equations? Then on to reddit/math and yup, math geeks are like this. Uh Oh, I am a math geek. Maybe there is a support group. oh yeah, reddit/math. Wish I found this out sooner, I could have joined the math club in high school.

Just watch, someone will share their favorite equation.

The idea that anyone even has a "favorite equation" baffles me.

Not something I personally could ever understand. The stupidity that is often referred to as "school" gave me a permanent aversion to the subject of math. And most other subjects they tried to "teach".

Still, I always find it impressive whenever someone can actually grasp this stuff, whatever it is.

Your avatar is an anime character. if you can draw you have my honest approval. It just would take so much time and effort to even get decent at it. I watch funimation, netflix and crunchyroll. I know what an Otaku is. I watch Japanese with subtitles because English dubs can change the characters so drastically. It can be better, but I want closer to what the author intended. Bullies and bad teachers can ruin school for kids who would like it. It is almost like demotivating you and then blaming you for it is common. I have dropped college courses just because he professor sucked, took it later from someone I had before, and delayed my graduation by 6 months. Life is short, I don't need this kind of crap.

Your avatar is an anime character. if you can draw you have my honest approval. It just would take so much time and effort to even get decent at it. I watch funimation, netflix and crunchyroll. I know what an Otaku is. I watch Japanese with subtitles because English dubs can change the characters so drastically. It can be better, but I want closer to what the author intended. Bullies and bad teachers can ruin school for kids who would like it. It is almost like demotivating you and then blaming you for it is common. I have dropped college courses just because he professor sucked, took it later from someone I had before, and delayed my graduation by 6 months. Life is short, I don't need this kind of crap.

As drawing goes, this stuff is the best I can do:

So I'm doing art now, sorta

with that bottommost one (blue/yellow face girl) being the most recent (and the most accurate to the source material, I think, not to mention being the one I obsessed over the most)

So, not exactly to the quality of the character in my avatar. It turns out that art is hard, who woulda thunk it?

And yeah, school certainly is like that. Cant imagine how the heck anyone is supposed to actually learn anything in that sort of environment.

And I dont hear the word "otaku" very much on this forum, that's for sure. Though we do have a few anime fans.

I like Today's abomination. It looks like a one eyed killer robot to me. I know I am watching too much anime when everything looks like a mech to me. Or like maybe living in alternate medieval universe with only girls as friends might be believable thing. I haven't gone over the dark side like a certain friend of mine. If he told me he loves watching sailor moon I would believe it.

New Threads

Top Bottom