• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Goodwill’s ‘Lego Guy’ awarded for sorting expertise

tree

Blue/Green
Staff member
V.I.P Member
One brick at a time: Goodwill’s ‘Lego Guy’ awarded for sorting expertise
upload_2022-2-16_12-15-58.png

“We’ve had stores before that try to separate the Legos,” Martin said. “We’ve tried separating them ourselves, but it takes a tremendous amount of patience and attention to detail. and that’s what Robert brings to the table.”

Before Robert, Martin said that the task was one that few could handle and no one else had mastered.

“Any one of us would get fed up after a couple of minutes trying to do the job, and then the level of quality would just go down,” he said.

“Robert has a tremendous knack for being able to identify what is Lego and what is not Lego and his attention to detail is what really sets him apart from everyone else,” Martin said. “It’s incredible to watch him work on a daily basis. From 5 feet out, Robert can tell you whether a piece is a Lego, a Mega Blok or something else.”

That's me to a T. I used to do this all the time for my kids. They would build and after a while move on to something else. Then I would unbuild and sort into bins for them to build again. In between I would buy all sorts of legos whenever I could find them at garage sales and flea markets which I went to weekly.

Btw if like me you wondered where the expression 'to a T' came from, this is the best explanation I found.

lf.jpg

"The original form ‘to a T’ is an old phrase and the earliest citation that I know of is in IMG_3942James Wright’s satire The Humours and Conversations of the Town, 1693:

“All the under Villages and Towns-men come to him for Redress; which he does to a T.”

The letter ‘T’ itself, as the initial of a word. If this is the derivation then the word in question is very likely to be ‘tittle’. A tittle is a small stroke or point in writing or printing and is now best remembered via the term jot or tittle. The best reason for believing that this is the source of the ‘T’ is that the phrase ‘to a tittle’ existed in English well before ‘to a T’, with the same meaning;

for example, in Francis Beaumont’s Jacobean comedy drama The Woman Hater, 1607. we find: “Ile quote him to a tittle.”

In this case, although there is no smoking gun, the ‘to a tittle’ derivation would probably stand up in court as ‘beyond reasonable doubt’. Very nice condition. Item #736"

But back to bricks... World Record Lego Diorama - 2019 Denmark.

LEGO-Games-broke-Guinness-World-Records-LEGO-Brick-Diorama-Tower-June-2019-Denmark-2.jpg

That's me to a T. I used to do this all the time for my kids. They would build and after a while move on to something else. Then I would unbuild and sort into bins for them to build again. In between I would buy all sorts of legos whenever I could find them at garage sales and flea markets which I went to weekly.

Btw if like me you wondered where the expression 'to a T' came from, this is the best explanation I found.

View attachment 75820

"The original form ‘to a T’ is an old phrase and the earliest citation that I know of is in IMG_3942James Wright’s satire The Humours and Conversations of the Town, 1693:

“All the under Villages and Towns-men come to him for Redress; which he does to a T.”

The letter ‘T’ itself, as the initial of a word. If this is the derivation then the word in question is very likely to be ‘tittle’. A tittle is a small stroke or point in writing or printing and is now best remembered via the term jot or tittle. The best reason for believing that this is the source of the ‘T’ is that the phrase ‘to a tittle’ existed in English well before ‘to a T’, with the same meaning;

for example, in Francis Beaumont’s Jacobean comedy drama The Woman Hater, 1607. we find: “Ile quote him to a tittle.”

In this case, although there is no smoking gun, the ‘to a tittle’ derivation would probably stand up in court as ‘beyond reasonable doubt’. Very nice condition. Item #736"

But back to bricks... World Record Lego Diorama - 2019 Denmark.

View attachment 75821
In the original language
jot and tittle.jpg
it actually means thorn in Hebrew and the tittle is the tiniest part of the thorn English transliteration jot

One brick at a time: Goodwill’s ‘Lego Guy’ awarded for sorting expertise
View attachment 75811

“We’ve had stores before that try to separate the Legos,” Martin said. “We’ve tried separating them ourselves, but it takes a tremendous amount of patience and attention to detail. and that’s what Robert brings to the table.”

Before Robert, Martin said that the task was one that few could handle and no one else had mastered.

“Any one of us would get fed up after a couple of minutes trying to do the job, and then the level of quality would just go down,” he said.

“Robert has a tremendous knack for being able to identify what is Lego and what is not Lego and his attention to detail is what really sets him apart from everyone else,” Martin said. “It’s incredible to watch him work on a daily basis. From 5 feet out, Robert can tell you whether a piece is a Lego, a Mega Blok or something else.”
He succeeded in me looking at UK store for second hand Lego everything

Very cool. I too would actually enjoy a job like that. It's the kind of job that exercises the mind, hand/eye coordination, fine motor skills and it's something you can work on by yourself. It's also the kind of work where I could zone out, escape "inward" and frolic inside the amusement park that is my mind.

I also used to enjoy, or gain a lot of satisfaction from being the person who found, organized and re-boxed Legos.

Taped the manuals back together for the large more complicated sets, and filed them. No one ever used them again but it’s nice to have them.

@Forest Cat That sounds like I wrote it about myself. I even named my studio business after that aspect of myself. * The picture in the mind and the ability to find an object.

Guilty: I removed my favorite knight (with helmet & sword) from the Castle set a long time ago.
He still stands on my bedroom dresser lol. Sometimes he falls over, & then I let him sleep for a few days before standing him back in his place.

Last edited:
Legos are great. I didn't have them as a kid. I just read they were first sold in the US when I was 5. Maybe I'll go check out the thrift stores and see what they are doing or not doing with them around me. About a year ago I donated a big box of them, which of course really needed sorting.

New Threads

Top Bottom