• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Good to find a place I can relate to!

DanPaladin

Aspie and nerd, greatest combination.
Hello Everyone.

My name is Daniel, I'm 26 years old Brazilian living in Sydney now (so forgive my bad grammar pls). All my life I felt dislocated, different from everyone else, and I didn't know why until I received my diagnostic. After that, everything started to make sense, but I started to feel that my condition and who I'm was unchangeable.

Talking about my childhood, it was after primary school that everything started to go downhill. I lost my only friends, I stopped to communicate properly, I was being bullied and I wasn't even doing great at school.
This situation continued from my adolescence to my early adulthood. It was just when I enrolled to uni that my life started to change. I had some friends again, people that I could relate, started to go out more and even had some dates and relationships with good friends.
Some years later I found a cashier and salesperson job at a bookstore. It wasn't the best job in relation to my interests (Design), but it was a good start even with the terrible brazilian wage (954 BRL or 255 USD per month). I did some mistakes at work, and even some serious ones, but I think the brazilian labor entitlements saved me. Then, after working there for almost 3 years and with the country having a terrible recession, I decided to go to Sydney to start again on a more safe country.
I arrived here last april and stayed at a family house while searching for a place to stay. It was when I found a nice old couple who was renting a room, and I stayed there for more than a year. At the time I was doing some casual work for a marketing company but quit there because of some payment related issues.

Now after all this wall of text I can talk about the present, and I can say that I'm not doing so great like I fantasized. I always thought that I wouldn't have a problem to find a job here or to meet some nice australians that I could relate, but being an immigrant is hard, even worse when you have autism. The market here is overs aturated and I don't have any friends here, I'm only lucky to have my father and sister, but they're still not like my friends.

So, to finish. It seems like my mental issues have returned, I'm having a problem on being motivated to do anything, it looks like my english is getting worse, interviews are stressing me too much and I cannot find any desire to go out with anyone.

What I really want to say after all the drama is that is nice to find a place with other people with similar problems, and that I relate. I hope to have a good time here with everyone else and exchange in some great conversation! :smile:

Hi Daniel

welcome to af.png

We are an international community, so yes, there are many members from Australia included in our ranks.

Welcome to the forum! Like yourself, I always struggled to find a place that I fit into in real life, but with this place, I do feel less lonely in my experiences. People here are lovely <3

Welcome! You will find a friendly and supportive group. Don't worry too much about the length of your introduction. I think we understand that a good part of the introduction is getting some things off of your chest so to speak. It's nice that Autism Forums is a safe space.

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process!

Welcome to the Forums.
I think I've only seen one other Aussie here.
More from UK and USA I think.
I know Australia has a wonderfully diverse geography and finding rooms to rent
with older people or couples is more convenient there than in USA.
I have no knowledge on employment there at all.

Good luck in all your endeavors and this is a great place to be yourself in
with others to share of like minds.

Thank you all for the replies and welcomes. :)

People here really seems nice.

Welcome to the Forums.
I think I've only seen one other Aussie here.
More from UK and USA I think.
I know Australia has a wonderfully diverse geography and finding rooms to rent
with older people or couples is more convenient there than in USA.
I have no knowledge on employment there at all.

Good luck in all your endeavors and this is a great place to be yourself in
with others to share of like minds.

That's a shame. :/

I know some aspie meetings here but it would be good to meet some mates from here.

New Threads

Top Bottom