• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Good social things for aspies?

BradT

What are some good social events to go to if you're aspergers? I don't like the club scene or the party life. I go to college, but it's too big of a campus.

Where do you live? There is a website called meetup you might be able to find something there. I know there are places that hold board game nights.

I've never enjoyed clubs, etc, as I found the noise and crowds overwhelming. Even some churches I have been involved in were too much. I have found that small group social activities to be the best. For example, my Krav Maga lessons. It is small (maybe 10 at the most), so I am not overwhelmed. We do something together, but it doesn't task me socially like a party does. Rather than engage in small talk, I can kick the snot out of someone and vice versa.

I think the key, at least for myself, is to find such activities that do not create sensory overload. What @Dorkasour said about board game nights is an excellent possibility. When I was stationed overseas there were a number of board-gamers that seemed to enjoy themselves, so something similar might be worth looking into.
I thought about joining a boxing or acting class. Boxing would be a good stress reliever and still meet people while an acting class could have the same benefits.

Every time someone ask about social activities I suggest hiking though right now my only socializing has been art related. Both quiet, minimal sorta socializing. Sometimes art stuff can be loud if there is live music, but I wear my plugs and just grab a cookie and run when that is a problem. Oh, art events often offer free snacks which is always a good thing.

Singing with a group.
Church? Community choir? Local charity choir?

Releases oxytocin into the system.

You don't have to be Whitney Houston to enjoy yourself :)

In my case, RPG tabletop games have helped me make friends and better my social skills tremendously, so even if you're not into that sort of thing, I'd still recommend playing with a group at least once :)

If you are in college, there may be student run clubs which you could research. I don't know if there was one at my college or not, but I found that euro-style board gaming groups were fun. As Butterfly88 said, meetup is a good place to find groups. They have board game and rpg groups too if that's what interests you. :)

Sometimes there are community centers that run classes and special interest social groups (some libraries have/host stuff like that, too) -- some are free and some you pay for, but they usually publish seasonal catalogues/calendars of what's on offer (paper ones and online digital ones) and it might be a way to meet smallish groups of people with similar interests.

Pen and paper RPG’s
Pub trivia
Lectures
Meetup groups for your interest

What are some good social events to go to if you're aspergers? I don't like the club scene or the party life. I go to college, but it's too big of a campus.

My most fun "social event" is not "social"... Its Sedona AZ, or Sunset Cliffs @ San Diego Ca... Or rafting down the Guadalupe river in central Texas, Laying on the dock at the lake very near my house just listening to the water splash against the pylons beneath me ... Hiking, camping, flying my drone, sitting under the stars at night with a few people (or no people) thats my best social outings. Long road trips, good music, and no pressure. : )

My most fun "social event" is not "social"... Its Sedona AZ, or Sunset Cliffs @ San Diego Ca... Or rafting down the Guadalupe river in central Texas, Laying on the dock at the lake very near my house just listening to the water splash against the pylons beneath me ... Hiking, camping, flying my drone, sitting under the stars at night with a few people (or no people) thats my best social outings. Long road trips, good music, and no pressure. : )
I hope you have a woman with you while sitting under the stars :)

I found a group that I'm inquiring about, it's a group about 30 mins from where I live, it's an aspergers social group specifically for aspergers. It says they meet at Panera Bread.

P.S. I don't understand why Panera is a popular social cafe, why not Starbucks? lol

In three weeks time I am moving into an apartment across the road from a library. I am thinking about meeting up with my people at the library and share my knowledge with. I'll first see how things go, I feel it would be cool to hang out in libraries since I am getting sick of the internet.

I hope you have a woman with you while sitting under the stars :)

I used too have what I thought was a sweet, beautiful, sexy lady that I thought loved me... : )
But the moon, stars, and my attempt at love was never enough, and neither was I...

She is still around for now... but it seems its only for the free home, free SUV, free repairs on all she tears up, free insurance (health, home, auto), free cable, internet, and cell phone, free groceries and plus she likes to torment me and let me know what I'm not. I think I unknowingly married a full blown Narcissist...

It has to end somewhere, and its not far off. I keep hoping she will find what she is looking for...
The only problem is I don't think that guy even exist.

Sometimes (for guys like me) its best to not have what seems to be a really great thing... Its safer that way.

i'd say if you're not severely mentally ill definitely try hiking if you're mentally ill go walking a place you know no one else does .A large percentage of people don't want to spend a long time with you if you're severely mentally ill .

I found a group that I'm inquiring about, it's a group about 30 mins from where I live, it's an aspergers social group specifically for aspergers. It says they meet at Panera Bread.

P.S. I don't understand why Panera is a popular social cafe, why not Starbucks? lol

Maybe they are like me and don't know the Starbucks language. I have gone in a couple stores and I listen to people rattle off all this stuff and I'm like HUH?
I just want a cup of coffee mixed with hot chocolate thanks... : )

Plus that bread smells really good... I just wish I could eat it with out paying dearly for it...

I hope you go check it out... If your socially active then this is maybe really good for you... : )

Board games.
Hiking
Language classes
Photography/art/IT classes/clubs
Film or book clubs.
Volunteering (animal shelters, preparing food for homeless, things like that)

If you have someone you can go hiking and/or camping with you should try it ( if you feel like you could do it of course)

I went camping with one of my cousins and a common friend of ours last autumn on the highest mountain in my area and it was one of the best things I've done in quite a while. None of us really have much outdoors experience but we didn't want to rely too much on equipment so we didn't bring a tent, only a tarp. Neither did we bring much food, just beer and fishing rods becuase we were planning on camping near a lake.
Long story short; We walked for 4 hours through mountainous marshland in pouring rain, didn't get any fish, we luckly found one of those tiny mountain cabins, spent the night eating, drinking and joking around, slept on the floor shoulder to shoulder and then went home the next day in pouring rain.

I sounds absolutely horrible now that I'm writing it but it was actually really fun and we're doing another trip this spring, only this time we'll bring tents

I think any group activity you enjoy would be good, especially if it involves exercise and/or volunteering your services. Even more importantly, you should really like the people because then you'd want to show up even if the activity was scooping poop.

New Threads

Top Bottom