• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Going to be in a social experience tomorrow, advice?

Greatshield17

Claritas Prayer Group#9435
Tomorrow, I plan on going to my local farmers’ market, both to buy things and to make connections with farmers and ideally, maybe even find someways to obtain farming work and experience. I’m a bit nervous about this, does anyone have any advice? I have been practicing a bit with body posture.

Its not that bad, i went to one a few weeks ago. Most folks are nice. Talk to the hippies, thats where most of the worker types are. They are happier in general. Hope it goes well for you!

Tomorrow, I plan on going to my local farmers’ market, both to buy things and to make connections with farmers and ideally, maybe even find someways to obtain farming work and experience. I’m a bit nervous about this, does anyone have any advice? I have been practicing a bit with body posture.

Sounds like a plan. Try to project confidence in your determination to live somewhat off the grid. ;)

Make sure you carry cash, and possibly change? Not everyone has one of those cc machines. You will be fine, people at those things are usually very nice and you’ll find some good food! :)

Tell them that you are interested in learning about farming and ask if you can visit their farm to see what they do. Offer to help them plant or harvest vegetables or fruit if they will teach you how to do it.

Just be yourself, smile even if it feels fake, and show interest in what they are selling and how they grew and harvested it. Also, ask them how they cook the produce - do they steam it? saute? fry? oven bake? Stew it? Do they add anything to it when they cook it?

Your trip sounds like it fun and can potentially help you make some contacts with farmers with real life experience.

For growing food, we’re looking at growing in small spaces and got on to something called Aeroponics where they took large 10”-12” diameter pvc pipes and made holes in them to plant the plants, mostly greens such as spinach and lettuce, and the roots were bare inside but got misted with healthy water every so often. They were beautiful healthy plants and since grown on top of each other took up a small space.

This was done in below freezing temps in a green house, I feel sure you can get some videos on how to make these food towers!

My advice would be to just have a conversation or two. Ask for some information about what the farmers or the people there do and how they do it. I wouldn't necessarily go any further than getting information to start with, but that's just me.

Farming is seasonal, so you can causally inquire if anybody hires during harvesting season perhaps?

Can you make something to sell? Soaps, candles?

Good luck, l am nervous and l am not even going. Don't leave us hanging, give us the gory details. Lol

I liv ed on a farm during my teenage years , June is haying season.in the past they used to hire a lot of help for this, with round and large square bails not so much any more. can you drive a would tractor would be a skill they would want most.

If you want to go down the largest rabbit hole online, just look up "permaculture" and the same word with dot org after it. Its a really important study. Irs like a patchwork quilt though, lots of info, little organization. Permaculture is intensive space farming, no fertilizer , minimal equip, few chems

Hi everyone,

I’m at the bus stop now, on my way back from the farmers’ market. I’ve bought some bought some stuff now but as for talking, that didn’t go well. Not that my social anxiety got the best of me or anything, it was just that the masks, the masks just cut me off from starting a conversation or the like; I just stuck to business as usual and didn’t really focus on initiating a conversation with anyone.

It’s quite surprising that masks would have that effect on me, even though I’m not that good at eye contact and facial expressions; have you had any similar experiences with masks? I have noticed that when looking at faces, I tend to focus more on the mouth, nose and cheeks, do any of you, also have that habit?

As for my homesteading plans, I do have some alternatives I plan on looking into, and maybe I’ll try again here this coming week.

Hi everyone,

I’m at the bus stop now, on my way back from the farmers’ market. I’ve bought some bought some stuff now but as for talking, that didn’t go well. Not that my social anxiety got the best of me or anything, it was just that the masks, the masks just cut me off from starting a conversation or the like; I just stuck to business as usual and didn’t really focus on initiating a conversation with anyone.

It’s quite surprising that masks would have that effect on me, even though I’m not that good at eye contact and facial expressions; have you had any similar experiences with masks? I have noticed that when looking at faces, I tend to focus more on the mouth, nose and cheeks, do any of you, also have that habit?

As for my homesteading plans, I do have some alternatives I plan on looking into, and maybe I’ll try again here this coming week.

The masks inhibit and disrupt everyone's ability to have a conversation so I totally understand how things worked out for you at the market.

Meanwhile, do you have any land or even room to start growing things in big containers? You can start gardening on your own, learn as you go, which will help you develop skills and knowledge when you do get into a position to homestead.

If you have some land (yard) with good sun exposure, then start digging it up, turning over the soil, remove the weeds by their roots, add amendments as needed such as sand or mulch if your soil has a lot of clay. Prepare the soil and plant something, tend it, water it, weed it, fertilize it as needed.

If you don't have land, get some large containers or pots, make sure there are drainage holes in the bottom, fill with good gardening soil that you can buy, and plant some veggies in the pots. They will dry out faster than gardens grown in the ground so you'll probably need to water more frequently.

I love gardening and grow many vegetables and fruits. It is a very rewarding way to stay physically and mentally in good shape. You can totally do this on your own, at least on a small scale initially.

The masks inhibit and disrupt everyone's ability to have a conversation so I totally understand how things worked out for you at the market.

Meanwhile, do you have any land or even room to start growing things in big containers? You can start gardening on your own, learn as you go, which will help you develop skills and knowledge when you do get into a position to homestead.

If you have some land (yard) with good sun exposure, then start digging it up, turning over the soil, remove the weeds by their roots, add amendments as needed such as sand or mulch if your soil has a lot of clay. Prepare the soil and plant something, tend it, water it, weed it, fertilize it as needed.

If you don't have land, get some large containers or pots, make sure there are drainage holes in the bottom, fill with good gardening soil that you can buy, and plant some veggies in the pots. They will dry out faster than gardens grown in the ground so you'll probably need to water more frequently.

I love gardening and grow many vegetables and fruits. It is a very rewarding way to stay physically and mentally in good shape. You can totally do this on your own, at least on a small scale initially.
I am gardening, I’m growing potatoes, cucumbers, carrots and green onions at my place; I live in a condo unit and have limited space. It’s a bit difficult here as I’m having difficulty gaining the supplies I need, and nothing I planted in the garden box upfront seems to be growing apart from the green onions I transplanted a few days ago; I do hope to make more progress though.

I am gardening, I’m growing potatoes, cucumbers, carrots and green onions at my place; I live in a condo unit and have limited space. It’s a bit difficult here as I’m having difficulty gaining the supplies I need, and nothing I planted in the garden box upfront seems to be growing apart from the green onions I transplanted a few days ago; I do hope to make more progress though.

You're well on your way, then. There are a lot of knowledgeable gardeners here who can answer questions and make suggestions.

Not that my social anxiety got the best of me or anything, it was just that the masks, the masks just cut me off from starting a conversation or the like; I just stuck to business as usual and didn’t really focus on initiating a conversation with anyone.

Masks do, unfortunately, disrupt the flow of communication and do make it harder. However, don't be discouraged. As people get vaccinated, the masks will start to come down. Remember that fully vaccinated individuals no longer need to wear masks in most places according to the CDC (Center for Disease Control, USA). And remember what I said a few days ago about taking it slowly? Well, this might be a blessing in disguise for that. You got to go the farmers market and get used to the setting. Maybe next week someone's mask will be down and you can start a conversation with that person.

Keep your head up, your doing great so far!

I tried again today, unfortunately there were only two people there, who were two of the people who worked there; they were having a conversation, and I was worried about interrupting them. At the last minute I thought about asserting myself but by then, the guy at the till was already handing me my groceries and telling me to have a nice day, and so, it was too late.

At least I got some nice stuff this time, although, I was hoping to get some cucumbers so I could practice pickling them; as well as obtain some local-grown seeds from them. I’ll try again next week, this time I’m going to try and come with a plan.

You're doing good, Greatshield. Keep at it!

If you're going to pickle them, be sure to get the right kind of cucumbers. You need to buy Kirby cucumbers. Don't get the kind you eat on a salad as they are too watery and soft to make a good, crisp pickle.

If you're interested in pickling things (which I love to do!), try quick pickling some red onion and jalapeno slices which you must store in the refrigerator. Otherwise, you'll need canning jars, lids, rings, a canning kit with a funnel and tongs, and other equipment to safely preserve them so they don't require refrigeration. Best to start with "quick pickling" to learn how to do it.

Keep us posted on how it goes. :)

You're doing good, Greatshield. Keep at it!

If you're going to pickle them, be sure to get the right kind of cucumbers. You need to buy Kirby cucumbers. Don't get the kind you eat on a salad as they are too watery and soft to make a good, crisp pickle.

If you're interested in pickling things (which I love to do!), try quick pickling some red onion and jalapeno slices which you must store in the refrigerator. Otherwise, you'll need canning jars, lids, rings, a canning kit with a funnel and tongs, and other equipment to safely preserve them so they don't require refrigeration. Best to start with "quick pickling" to learn how to do it.

Keep us posted on how it goes. :)
Uh-oh! I hope the cucumbers I’m growing right now are the right kind!

I do plan on taking a closer look at pickling, I want to try spicy pickled carrots and am going to look and see if I have the ingredients needed for those. I’m pretty sure they sell red onions at that place and so will look into trying those out.

Thanks.

Uh-oh! I hope the cucumbers I’m growing right now are the right kind!

I do plan on taking a closer look at pickling, I want to try spicy pickled carrots and am going to look and see if I have the ingredients needed for those. I’m pretty sure they sell red onions at that place and so will look into trying those out.
Thanks.

Just pickle whatever you grow and see how it comes out.

I use the boiling water bath process with canning jars to preserve my pickling efforts. They will stay good for over a year if you do it correctly. One of my favorites is to combine sliced carrots, onions and jalapenos. I also have pickled whole okra pods and whole green beans which look pretty on a condiment platter. They're great in Bloody Mary's too if you like hard liquor.

Unfortunately, I go to the the farmers’ market this week, several things are holding me up; I need to deal with them first.

New Threads

Top Bottom