• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Going in really deep with your obsessions…

Owliet

The Hidden One.
I like many things — although it never used to be like this, I would have one main obsession and everything else would not be of much interest. I thought I was over that stage but I seem to be going back to being HEAVILY obsessed with a video game fandom called Dragon Age again. I do like other things, but like my mom said to me, I talk about Dragon Age a lot more than it is healthy to do so.

Does anyone else do this too?

Yes, though I don't necessarily talk about it, unless I find someone else with the same interest. I'm not very talkative and don't share much. I think about it constantly, though.

Yes, though I don't necessarily talk about it, unless I find someone else with the same interest. I'm not very talkative and don't share much. I think about it constantly, though.
Oh, if I meet people with the same interest I could talk and talk and talk about it …=D

I am involved in a lot of fandoms also, although i don't talk much about it irl.
I do get obsessed with characters and ships often!

Since my main special interest is also my career, and over 90% of everything I do, it gets to be pretty much the only thing I regularly talk about!

Dogs are not my only interest though. They are the main focus of my life, but I do have other things I'm passionate about.

Obviously I'm capable of having "normal" conversations about other things... and I have MANY special interests... but a lot of times I don't open up to people about my other interests because I don't think they will understand. Being interested in dogs is at least universally accepted. Some of my other interests are not, and are more niche, but I have actually encountered some other people on here who like them!

Since my main special interest is also my career, and over 90% of everything I do, it gets to be pretty much the only thing I regularly talk about!

Dogs are not my only interest though. They are the main focus of my life, but I do have other things I'm passionate about.

Obviously I'm capable of having "normal" conversations about other things... and I have MANY special interests... but a lot of times I don't open up to people about my other interests because I don't think they will understand. Being interested in dogs is at least universally accepted. Some of my other interests are not, and are more niche, but I have actually encountered some other people on here who like them!
I think it’s always great when there are other people who love it as much as you do, so you can talk to them about it frequently. I used to be corrected for going on about my obsessions, so I do try to keep them closed into myself — I unfortunately slipped with talking too much about Dragon Age. =(

I like many things — although it never used to be like this, I would have one main obsession and everything else would not be of much interest. I thought I was over that stage but I seem to be going back to being HEAVILY obsessed with a video game fandom called Dragon Age again. I do like other things, but like my mom said to me, I talk about Dragon Age a lot more than it is healthy to do so.

I can definitely get into my interests in a very deep away. I don't know if I've ever seen it as healthy, though. I tend to use my interests to understand life and learn what I can. So, if I love a TV show, maybe it teaches me about love, courage, decency, or another part of life. If I am fascinated with a musician's writing or recording process, that can also teach me about creativity and self-expression. Whatever my interests, I usually look for what they can teach me about how people think and how I think.

Other people seem to find them odd because they just don't relate to the world by looking at tons of details, or focusing with as much depth.

My latest obsession is Chinese wuxia novels esp. Heaven Official's Blessing! I like cdramas and kdramas too but am struggling to find one to get obsessed with lately.
I used to watch Kdramas like “You‘re Beautiful“ and “Coffee Prince”:=D

I can definitely get into my interests in a very deep away. I don't know if I've ever seen it as healthy, though. I tend to use my interests to understand the world and extrapolate what knowledge I can. So, if I love a TV show, maybe it teaches me about love, courage, decency, or another part of life. If I am fascinated with a musician's writing or recording process, that can also teach me about creativity and self-expression. Whatever my interests, I usually look for what they can teach me about how people think and how I think.

Other people seem to find them odd because they just don't relate to the world by looking at tons of details, or focusing with as much depth.
I understand that -- Dragon Age may be fantasy based but the RPG elements allow you to have some interactions that are in the situation the best way to interact. So I guess, it teaches me how to approach situations that may come up in a real life setting — outside the obivougly fighting dragons, destroying the blight and closing rifts.

It also sparks my creativity.

I also talk about my cats a lot too….but that’s more relatable…

I liked You're Beautiful, although my faves are definitely Scarlet Heart Ryeo, That Winter the Wind Blows and It's Okay that's Love!

I liked You're Beautiful, although my faves are definitely Scarlet Heart Ryeo, That Winter the Wind Blows and It's Okay that's Love!
there are quite a lot on Netflix CH here that I have yet to go through. I do like the songs from Youre Beautiful.=D I also like the moment of tranquility that the main guy experienced before the pig…

there are quite a lot on Netflix CH here that I have yet to go through. I do like the songs from Youre Beautiful.=D I also like the moment of tranquility that the main guy experienced before the pig…
I love that scene so much, watched it countless times! It's one of the most well known kdramas i think, i watched it a few years ago. Yeah, there are many asian dramas on Netflix, i am watching Love between Fairy and Devil now but so far couldn't get into it. Although the costumes are stunning!

I love that scene so much, watched it countless times! It's one of the most well known kdramas i think, i watched it a few years ago. Yeah, there are many asian dramas on Netflix, i am watching Love between Fairy and Devil now but so far couldn't get into it. Although the costumes are stunning!
Yes, it’s my favorite one.=D And the music I still listen to even today. I have been watching anime too — Vinland but I am finding it difficult to get into it with enjoying the harassers, att the moment I just dont like any of them.

If you watched Bleach, i hear the New season is really good. I used to watch a lot of anime, but i can't connect with the stories and characters much any longer especially if the characters are children.

Btw I get what you mean by going deep with your obsessions, when i get obsessed with a character they can even make me cry. I have felt closer to some fictional characters more than i felt close to any real person.

Btw I get what you mean by going deep with your obsessions, when i get obsessed with a character they can even make me cry. I have felt closer to some fictional characters more than i felt close to any real person.
I do this with quite a lot of fictional works. It is easier to connect with fictional characters.

So glad to find a kindred spirit! The Last time i interacted with anyone on fandom spaces was back in 2018 haha.

I had plenty of "obsessions" and "special interests" over the years,...still do. I think I almost NEED to have something to dwell on,...to keep my mind stimulated. Some topics I take deep, deep dives,...molecular level,...and will seemingly exhaust all the available knowledge on that specific topic,...get bored,...and move on to something else. Rinse and repeat over and over and over again.

New Threads

Top Bottom