• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

God games/ Deity simulators

UberScout

Please Don't Be Mad At Me 02/09/1996
V.I.P Member
If you're like me, you hate not being in control of certain things. Life kicks you while you're down and you just feel powerless. It's not fair, it's no fun.

But then, your dad buys you this cool SNES game called ActRaiser, and look at that, there's little people running around building stuff for you on your TV!

Then one day he buys a Humble Bundle for your EA account, and it comes with Populous. Now you can tell people to build and you can make land out of nothing!

I've always thought these games were so cool. Very rarely do you come across a game that allows you to plant a few things, sit back and watch as virtual people do your bidding. It makes you feel powerful, it makes you feel in control.

Granted, this is taking place in a fictional setting, but to be honest, you don't care after a while.

Basically, these are games in which you are no one in particular rather than a deity of some sort, with powers/miracles at your disposal and people to turn into slaves I mean, build cities for you and such.

How do others feel about this kind of things? Especially Christians?

Without giving it much thought I would say these games serve the purpose of keeping people in ignorance and in the illusion they are in control when in fact they are the ones completely under control and subservient to the creators of these games.

I love that type of game.

I absolutely hate games like first person shooters and so on, all the games I like are building games.

Pharoah is still my favourite game of all time, but at the moment Banished is the game I play most.

I think the thing I like most is the micromanagement, placing buildings in exactly the right spot, optimising everything and watching the population grow, the cash flood in, the new stuff being unlocked.

Unfortunately as graphics and UIs have improved, the depth of games has fallen. The ongoing dumbing down of SIM, God and management games is irritating in the extreme. I play these games for a challenge, not to watch the cute little people have emotions and stuff.

Don't get me started on The Sims 4.

Seriously, just don't.

I spent many an hour on Populous back in the Amiga days. Not really played much in the way of God games since though.

God sims, such as the Sims, Sims City, etc. are fun. You can either be a peaceful and benevolent deity, or you can be cruel and malevolent. The choice is yours.

Funny to think when I play such simulations, I'm really only interested in building things like homes or cities.

Not actually running them for better or worse. Go figure. :oops:

New Threads

Top Bottom