• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Given medication to reduce autism triggers.

Illkurok

King of Isolation
I have to be honest here, I'm no fan of medication at all. I was force-fed a ton of it as a child all the way through my teenage years, so I've tried my hardest as an adult to avoid it altogether.

As I've aged I've noticed my autism triggers have gotten worse, too bright of lights or even the smallest number of people in a room now can cause me to have sensory overload or in worst cases even meltdowns.

So, I was recently given a muscle relaxer and one to supposedly "calm my thoughts." I'm not sure what effects these will have honestly. As if a muscle relaxer is going to solve my problems, especially if most of them are visual related.

I was also advised to stay out of public areas that I know would cause overload, but where I live that's almost not an option at all. Most of the places are crowded all the time and I have no choice but to power through them as best I can.

I hope I didn't make a mistake with this, but I'm sure as time goes on we'll find out.

Yeah im not have not ever been on any meds for any of my diagnosis either (they have suggested it but i have turn it down ,I figger in my case theirs not mush more then can be destroyed that havent alredy been so i have learnt to live with my diagnosis

Like you i have to say as i have gotten older that ALL my diagnosis have gotten worse (this past 10 years have really brought me down on ALL accounts & in my case id say its the HIGH dosage of NEGATIVE stress from RL And crappy & rough life situation etc.... )

Not to mention all the nasty side effects that usely comes from this cind of meds so NOPE im fine thank you

Last edited:
It may be worth a shot if you get triggered more often than before. Who knows, maybe it'll even help some. If not, you can always stop taking them - you're an adult now, no one can force you to take medications without a case.

Just try to monitor your thoughts and psychological patterns. Some of the 'calming' meds I used to take caused my suicidal ideation to skyrocket and I realised it only months later. Of course, this was a different situation than yours but side effects should still be observed.

It may be worth a shot if you get triggered more often than before. Who knows, maybe it'll even help some. If not, you can always stop taking them - you're an adult now, no one can force you to take medications without a case.

Just try to monitor your thoughts and psychological patterns. Some of the 'calming' meds I used to take caused my suicidal ideation to skyrocket and I realised it only months later. Of course, this was a different situation than yours but side effects should still be observed.

I was given a lot of anti-depressants growing up and in one particular case I literally caught myself building a noose when I finally came to realize what I was doing. I just stopped taking the pill as it was, never tried to come down off of it or anything. I never wanted to experience that again.

Any medication I am given to try and calm my mind always makes me nervous because I fear what it could possibly make me do. But, hopefully something good will come from these.

Its always worth a shot if its needed dear IF said side effects gets to out of line then STOP and contact the docs

Meds help me. I made the mistake of going off my meds a couple of years ago and was off them for a year. It seemed okay at first but then I ended up in a bad way and realised that the meds really allow me to function okay and that is what I want. I hated the way I felt off them. I take that to be a sign that they are the right meds for me and I have instructed my closest people to remind me that the meds work if I ever start talking about going off them again. Good luck. I hope they work for you.

New Threads

Top Bottom