• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Gift Giving With Respect -Amythest Schaber

Joshua the Writer

Very Nerdy Guy, Any Pronouns
V.I.P Member
[Not sure where else to put this, so I'll put it here.]

Hello, so, here is a video I found that I believe you guys (and gals) might find interesting.
So, I can agree with all of her points. The age appropriateness thing is something I agree with being irrelevant when buying anybody a gift in general. Well, maybe not when it comes to games or movies. The ESRB exists for a reason.

I actually still like playing with Nerf guns, despite being 16 years old. And, yes. I've sometimes gotten that "aren't you a bit old for Nerf?" crap before when purchasing a brand-new Nerf gun at a retail store. People fail to realize that Nerf is for everybody. Sure, ages 8+ is what is on the box, but there is a reason for that plus symbol: it's for everybody 8 and up. Also, the Rival series of blaster are targeted towards teens, have 14+ on the box, and have an average muzzle velocity of 100 fps instead of the conventional dart blaster's 70 fps par. The rival series was launched in order to compete with paintball and Airsoft.

Also, the FDL-2 exists, and it is a beast of a homebrew Nerf blaster. Check it out. It's insane.
Also, about buying consumable types of items items for Autistic people is something that I totally agree with. If somebody doesn't know which Nerf blaster I want the most (it's all of them at once, btw), they can just but some darts or Rival balls. I have a Rival blaster, so an extra pack of Rival rounds would be much appreciated (plus some extra 12-round mags), along with a few extra Mega darts (since the Mega Big Shock I have came with only 2, and my sister's cat ripped apart one), along with some Elite darts, and maybe even some extra magazines for my Modulus Evaded. The modulus series has a bunch of magazine accessories and refill packs sold right off store shelves.

Also, side rant, but why does Nerf usually only sell mag-fed Nerf blasters with only one magazine included? Real steal mag-fed weapons come with at least 2 magazines out of the box. What the heck, Nerf? It's also irritating that Nerf doesn't sell Nerf blasters with capacities of 5+ with enough darts to load the blaster's internal/mag-fed capacities, fire off those darts, and then reload that capacity. Goshdarnit, Nerf.

Anyways, what do you guys think?

I have gotten my grandson the nerf bow and arrows and big nerf guns with extra ammunition and targets. I'm not sure who enjoys them most, him or his dad. :)

Yes, I agree with what she says. The same guidlines should apply to giving gifts to an autistic person as they do for any other person: give them what they will like, not what you think they should like.

Oh, thought of something to add to this. For birthdays, my daughter in law would always tell me to get my grandsons things she wanted them to have - always educational stuff. She finally quit making suggestions because I always bought them what I thought they wanted and they were always happy. Birthdays and Christmas - nothing educational or that you wear. :) (At least, not until they start asking for educational or clothes).

Yes, I agree with what she says. The same guidlines should apply to giving gifts to an autistic person as they do for any other person: give them what they will like, not what you think they should like.

It's funny to think that gift giving to an autistic person would have to come from some specific list of "acceptable" items. You should always put thought into gifts, but for the person who has everything, consumables are usually safe and fun. Whatever you do, it should make the recipient happy. It's their moment.

It's funny to think that gift giving to an autistic person would have to come from some specific list of "acceptable" items. You should always put thought into gifts, but for the person who has everything, consumables are usually safe and fun. Whatever you do, it should make the recipient happy. It's their moment.
Yes, I agree. I always suggest people to just get me some extra Nerf darts and Rival rounds, along with maybe some magazines that can hold each respective types of ammo. I do this just in case they don't have enough money for a good Nerf gun.

While a Nerf gun can last me at least 5 years, a Nerf dart can get lost. In Nerf war, a magazine that I throw outwards could be stolen.

Batteries for the flywheel blasters is also much appreciated. Running out of batteries in the middle of a Nerf war is something that NOBODY wants happening to them.

New Threads

Top Bottom