• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

gibberish/neologisms

righan

I'm not sure this is really in the right place on the forum, but I wasn't really sure where to put it ... so please be patient with me. While I think I might be Aspie, at best it would be a self diagnosis ... so I would like ask the community about an unusual behavior I've always had to see if its something Aspies have because I haven't seen it mentioned in any material I've read ...

One of the things I have always done and continue to do is use made up words and sometimes even speak in whole made up sentences and paragraphs .... but I'm not talking about constructed languages here where the words have been thought out and given definition with meaning and grammer ... I'm talking about just spitting out words and sounds right off the top of my head and they aren't real words or sentences ... its just gibberish ... however, I often end up using the same gibberish words in similar situations ... such as 'sa ba' and 'neh kay' which I often use instead of saying 'crap' or 'damnit' ....

If I let myself, I can sit there and talk entirely in gibberish ... which I will often do with my cats ... since they can't understand english anyway it doesn't really matter ... but speaking in words and sentences that I make up on the spot comes easier to me than speaking in english... and I actually find it very calming and relaxing to speak in gibberish and to even sing in gibberish.

If you've ever played sims 3/4 ... essentially think of it as though I can talk in simlish ... except its not that either ... but kinda ... some of it sounds like simlish actually. People who have heard me speak in it usually think it sounds like either an asian language, hebrew, or slavic ... but its always just sounds put together to make words and sentences off the top of my head based on how they sound and how they make me feel and how they sound rather than definitions and rules.

I use some words and phrases often enough that my wife can understand part of what I say sometimes in gibberish.

If any of that makes any sense to anyone ... let me know. I'm not even sure it makes sense to me. I've been trying to understand it for years. Its something I do... not something I understand.

Creation and use of neologisms by autistic people has long been associated with autism as far back as Asperger's observations in the 1930s.
Gibberish, not so much.

Sometimes, under my breath, when I'm stressed out. It's not a developed or deliberate thing, and it's not frequent. When I'm really stressed, my brain short circuits and I get some sort of verbal tic where I just mumble nonsense, maybe real words, maybe just sounds.

I don't have Tourette's, to my knowledge.

If any of that makes any sense to anyone ... let me know. I'm not even sure it makes sense to me. I've been trying to understand it for years. Its something I do... not something I understand.

I do something similish .

Particularly with making mistakes.

If I drop a spooner or other verbal mistakes, the mistake becomes the new word.

Dropping a spooner is a phrase to mean using a spoonerism.

Malaopropism covers most of this stuff.

LOL - I've a running joke about throwing a "Spooner" into the works to confuse people.
Great minds...

I do not think this would be neologisms ... as most of it isn't intended to be used as language ... although that is certainly how it started. It started as curse words. And those words/phrases are pretty consistent although they have evolved over the years.

But its closest to verbal stimming. I tend to do it more when I'm stressed. Like tonight, my wife got in a mood and thought it would be fun to try to lick me which freaks me out. Thus it resulted in lots of me trying to get away from her. While I was backing up and trying to get away from her, my reflex was to speak at her in nonsense rather than english. I had to calm down before I started speaking english and making sense again.

Definitely things to think about. Thanks.

New Threads

Top Bottom