• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ghostbusters 3 in the works - set in the original continuity and ignoring Ghostbusters 2016...

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

Ghostbusters resurrected: Jason Reitman will direct a new film set in the original universe

ghostbusters1.jpg

Do you believe in UFOs, astral projections, mental telepathy, ESP, clairvoyance, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, full-trance mediums, the Loch Ness Monster and the theory of Atlantis?

If so, good news — there’s a new Ghostbusters movie in the works.

Entertainment Weekly has learned exclusively that Jason Reitman will direct and co-write an upcoming film set in the world that was saved decades previously by the proton pack-wearing working stiffs in the original 1984 movie, which was directed by his father, Ivan Reitman.

“I’ve always thought of myself as the first Ghostbusters fan, when I was a 6-year-old visiting the set. I wanted to make a movie for all the other fans,” Reitman says. “This is the next chapter in the original franchise. It is not a reboot. What happened in the ‘80s happened in the ‘80s, and this is set in the present day.”

Sony Pictures has dated the film for Summer 2020, with plans to start shooting in a few months.

It’s still too soon to reveal the plot of the screenplay, who the new characters will be, or whether the original actors like Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, or Bill Murray will return. Harold Ramis died in 2014.

“This is very early, and I want the film to unwrap like a present. We have a lot of wonderful surprises and new characters for the audience to meet,” says Reitman, who co-wrote the screenplay with Monster House and Poltergeist remake filmmaker Gil Kenan.

The all-female Ghostbusters movie that director Paul Feig made in 2016 with Kate McKinnon, Leslie Jones, Kristen Wiig, and Melissa McCarthy started its story from scratch, unconnected to the earlier films, so it won’t have ties to this new one. “I have so much respect for what Paul created with those brilliant actresses, and would love to see more stories from them. However, this new movie will follow the trajectory of the original film,” Reitman says.

Reitman, an Oscar-nominee for Up in the Air and Juno, released two films last year — the Charlize Theron motherhood story Tully and the Hugh Jackman political drama The Front Runner.

He grew up idolizing his dad’s big-budget comedies like Stripes, Twins, and Dave, and says he was just as obsessed with Ghostbustersas any other ‘80s kid.

“I love everything about it. The iconography. The music. The tone,” Reitman says. “I remember being on set and seeing them try out the card catalog gag for the first time when the library ghost makes them come flying out. I remember the day they killed Stay Puft and I brought home a hardened piece of foam that just sat on a shelf for years. I was scared there was a terror dog underneath my bed before people knew what a terror dog was.”

Jason, his mother, and sister played panicked residents fleeing the “Spook Central” haunted skyscraper in the first film, but they were ultimately cut. (Here’s a shot of 6-year-old Jason posing with his father on the fractured Manhattan street they constructed.)

jason-reitman-1.jpg

A few years later, the boy did get a laugh line in the 1989 sequel, playing a birthday boy who was unimpressed by the Ghostbusters: “My dad says you guys are full of crap.”

When he began making his own movies, starting with 2005’s Thank You for Smoking, Reitman was often asked in interviews if he’d ever want to make his own Ghostbusters movie.

“I think I said, ‘There’d be no busting,’” he recalls with a laugh.

The truth is, he often wondered about making one, too: “I’ve thought about this franchise and it has occupied a piece of my heart for basically as long as I can remember.”

His father will produce the movie. “It will be a passing of the torch both inside and out,” says Ivan, adding that he’s touched his son wanted to join this part of the family business. “It was a decision he had to come to himself. He worked really hard to be independent and developed a wonderful career on his own. So I was quite surprised when he came to me with Gil and said, ‘I know I’ve been saying for 10 years I’m the last person who should make a Ghostbusters movie, but…I have this idea.’ Literally, I was crying by the end of it, it was so emotional and funny.”

Sony is also developing an animated Ghostbusters film, but that will come out after this new live-action project, and a different team will be involved in creating it.

“The Ghostbusters universe is big enough to hold a lot of different stories,” Jason says.

Source: EXCLUSIVE: Jason Reitman is directing a new 'Ghostbusters' movie

UPDATE:

The original cast are returning for the new movie: REPORT: The Original Ghostbusters Will Return For New Movie

Here's the teaser Trailer:

Last edited:
I read somewhere in 2017 that for the second sequel they're bringing the late Harold "Egon Spengler" Ramis back by CGI.

Like they did for the late Peter Cushing in Star Wars: Rogue One

Also, is Jason Reitman any relation to Ivan Reitman who directed Ghost Busters 1 and 2?

Last edited:
I read somewhere in 2017 that for the second sequel they're bringing the late Harold "Egon Spengler" Ramis back by CGI.

Like they did for the late Peter Cushing in Star Wars: Rogue One

Also, is Jason Reitman any relation to Ivan Reitman who directed Ghost Busters 1 and 2?

Hopefully if they do, the CGI will look good as when they brought back Peter Cushing for Rogue One there were a few times when it did look fake.

As for Jason Reitman, as @tree has pointed out, he's Ivan Reitman's son.

The 2016 movie just made women look really stupid.
But then again, sometimes I think women really *are* stupid.
I'm a woman myself so I can say that, right?:innocent:

"It actually says in the quoted article that Jason is Ivan's son ;)"

Yes, it does.

"Entertainment Weekly has learned exclusively that Jason Reitman will direct and co-write an upcoming film set in the world that was saved decades previously by the proton pack-wearing working stiffs in the original 1984 movie, which was directed by his father, Ivan Reitman.
"

I didn’t like the 2016 version and while it’s great that this new one will be a direct sequel to the original movies I’m still a bit apprehensive about it,there are way too many sequels,reboots and redos these days that it’s like Hollywood has lost the ability to be creative and make original ideas,but at the same time knowing that this will be the actual Ghostbusters 3 and also it’s ignoring the 2016 movie sounds like it could have potential and also the guy directing this is the son of the guy who directed the original Ghostbusters that sounds promising too.

The 2016 movie just made women look really stupid.
But then again, sometimes I think women really *are* stupid.
I'm a woman myself so I can say that, right?:innocent:

I didn’t like the 2016 version and while it’s great that this new one will be a direct sequel to the original movies I’m still a bit apprehensive about it,there are way too many sequels,reboots and redos these days that it’s like Hollywood has lost the ability to be creative and make original ideas,but at the same time knowing that this will be the actual Ghostbusters 3 and also it’s ignoring the 2016 movie sounds like it could have potential and also the guy directing this is the son of the guy who directed the original Ghostbusters that sounds promising too.

Apparently Leslie Jones - who played Patty Tolan in Ghostbusters 2016 - kicked up a fuss on Twitter regarding the upcoming movie; notably the fact that it will continue from the original series and completely ignore the 2016 reboot.
I can't link to her Twitter comment as this forum doesn't allow us to link to articles/videos with bad language - with Leslie dropping the F-word a couple of times in her comment - but to break it down, she claims the fact that Ghostbusters 3 will ignore the 2016 reboot and continue the original franchise is "so insulting", "a dick move" and (without getting political as this isn't the thread for it) "It's like something trump would do".

She has since backtracked and 'clarified' by saying the following, which I can post:

"It’s very sad that this is response I get.When the point is if they make this new one with all men and it does well which it will. It might feel that “boys are better”it makes my heart drop. Maybe I could have use different words but I’m allowed to have my feelings just like them"​

On a personal note, it seems kind of hypocritical to me; Ghostbusters 2016 completely ignored the continuity of the first two films, so why is she claiming it's "so insulting" that Ghostbusters 3 will ignore the continuity of the 2016 reboot?
Also, why is she automatically certain that Ghostbusters 3 will do well? It may have Jason Reitman directing, his father Ivan producing and the remaining cast of the originals coming back to make it, but nostalgia alone won't guarantee that this sequel will be successful; it actually has to be a good movie that entertains both the fans and general audiences - something the 2016 reboot failed at.

And speaking of insults, if we rewind back to before the 2016 reboot came out and look back on how divided people got over this.
There seems to be a bad habit these days of the media grouping together the ultra-angry minority of a fanbase who lash out at anything different, with the level-headed majority of a fanbase who have genuine criticisms of anything their franchise puts out - which allows the media, filmmakers and actors to openly slam all fans and render their opinions worthless, while spotlighting and glorifying anyone (be it an audience member or professional critic) who praises it.
For Ghostbusters 2016 - which you could argue is where this trend really kicked off - anyone who didn't want to see the movie or criticized the movie, elements of it or even the trailer was immediately slammed with a number of buzzwords and insults; these included been called "racist", "sexist", "misogynistic", "bigoted" and "women haters". What's ironic about this is that in the animated shows - The Real Ghostbusters and its sequel The Extreme Ghostbusters - there were women who became Ghostbusters and, as far as I'm aware, the fans and audiences were fine with this.

As I've said elsewhere, I think its less to do with the content and more to do with the 'presentation'; I'm all for the idea of a female Ghostbusters movie but the way the 2016 movie was presented was poor and the film bombed at the box office. Also out of the current three films, it has the lowest IMDB score.

Just a personal opinion, but I think the 2016 movie was a missed opportunity. I watched it on the small screen and I can't say it was a bad movie, just an OK one. The problem it faced at the start, backlash or no, was that the bar was set very high before they even started production.
The first 2 movies, the animations, the toys, the games etc. were all held in such high esteem that nothing short of an AWESOME blockbusterwas going to keep the audience happy. The all female cast just happened to be an easy peg on which to hang the resentment over a lacklustre reboot. The fact that Melissa McCarthy seems to have a love/loathe perception from movie audiences didn't help.
Like some other high profile "fan backlashes" the media certainly plays it's part as do the algorithms of YouTube and social media which feed these scathing opinions to people every day.
I like Doctor Who. I've watched it since I was a child and continue to do so. I've watched countless videos on YouTube about it so it appears as a topic in my feed. Over the last few months, every one of the 5 or 6 new videos in that feed have been shouting negative opinions about the new Doctor, how the show should be boycotted, tales of it's failure, production staff deserting and more. Nothing positive.
2016 Ghostbusters wasn't dreadful, it was just disappointing. Better to think of it as a parallel universe take on the franchise like the JJ Star Trek movies.

Last edited:
Just a personal opinion, but I think the 2016 movie was a missed opportunity. I watched it on the small screen and I can't say it was a bad movie, just an OK one. The problem it faced at the start, backlash or no, was that the bar was set very high before they even started production.
The first 2 movies, the animations, the toys, the games etc. were all held in such high esteem that nothing short of an AWESOME blockbusterwas going to keep the audience happy. The all female cast just happened to be an easy peg on which to hang the resentment over a lacklustre reboot. The fact that Melissa McCarthy seems to have a love/loathe perception from movie audiences didn't help.
Like some other high profile "fan backlashes" the media certainly plays it's part as do the algorithms of YouTube and social media which feed these scathing opinions to people every day.
I like Doctor Who. I've watched it since I was a child and continue to do so. I've watched countless videos on YouTube about it so it appears as a topic in my feed. Over the last few months, every one of the 5 or 6 new videos in that feed have been shouting negative opinions about the new Doctor, how the show should be boycotted, tales of it's failure, production staff deserting and more. Nothing positive.
2016 Ghostbusters wasn't dreadful, it was just disappointing. Better to think of it as a parallel universe take on the franchise like the JJ Star Trek movies.
Agreed.

But I have to admit, I love JJ's reboots---
And the outstanding cast who delivers them--- Yes, I am well aware of the intellectual differences,
but gods they're Fun!

Never would have believed it could happen, but,
Cumberbatch IS Khan!!!
;)

Edit: I do say that with all due respect to
Ricardo Montalban! :D

Ditto @sidd851 I think they're brilliant movies. Beyond is the weakest I think but they're all great fun. I know the reasons the JJverse was created were legal and commercial, but In really like the alternative narrative they created. I sincerely hope the on/off fourth installment finally does get made.
Thing is that the "fans" who dislike it can just write it off due to the different continuity if they want to.

Ditto @sidd851 I think they're brilliant movies. Beyond is the weakest I think but they're all great fun. I know the reasons the JJverse was created were legal and commercial, but In really like the alternative narrative they created. I sincerely hope the on/off fourth installment finally does get made.
Thing is that the "fans" who dislike it can just write it off due to the different continuity if they want to.
I sincerely admire the JJcast--- they are all well cast and well played.
In and of itself, Simon Pegg as Montgomery Scott is brilliance.
To the end of my days, Paul will also be one of my "favoritist" movies, due in part to SP's quick, dry-ish wit.
I just watched all 98 of Enterprise--- probably my least favorite--- but also, mostly, passable.
As we speak, I am faced with the choice of, from episode 4 of TNG, to the end, binge all 7 years, or stream season 2 of Discovery( which I have not seen, yet), Really taken by Sonequa Martin-Green--- I really hope it finds it's legs, as a show.
So...
What do I do?
I think it's gotta be, season two...
:cool:

I watched s02e01 of Discovery last night. Brilliant IMO. Shame it's a weekly show and not one we can binge in one go. The Short Treks are worth a look too :)

Oh.
They've only aired ep. 1.
Darn.
Thought season 2 was complete.

It's that, then TNG for the next couple of weeks, then.
Bummer.

Oh.
They've only aired ep. 1.
Darn.
Thought season 2 was complete.

It's that, then TNG for the next couple of weeks, then.
Bummer.

According to IMDB s02 is to be 14 episodes and aired weekly up to episode 9. There's no release dates yet for eps 10-14 so whether that means there'll be a mid-season break like they did last year I don't know.
Enthusiastic, spoiler free paragraph ahead!
The first episode was very encouraging though. They've set up an intriguing story arc, some good character development (esp Stametz & Tilly - I adore Tilly - she even makes a couple of comments pointing to possibly being on the spectrum) and an exciting self contained plot for the episode. The visual effects in this hour long opener are particularly of note too - definitely blockbuster movie standard. I've high hopes for this season after the hiccups in the first one.

I've high hopes for this season after the hiccups in the first one.

Hiccups? I've been giving some thought to buying the first season on DVD. Hate to hijack the thread, but your comment got the best of my curiosity.

Can't really say I have much interest in any reboot of Ghostbusters. I consider the original two films as classics. Don't mess with a good thang!

New Threads

Top Bottom