• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Getting a haircut

FIVER

I always wait a long time before getting a haircut. Usually, but not always it was very painful. The feeling of my hair being pulled. I guess I'm just too sensitive.
The stylist was nervous around me. I did talk some so it wasn't like I didn't talk at all. She was definitely an extrovert. I somehow just don't blend in or get other females being friendly with me.
I could tell she wants to get me overwith as I am making her nervous.
Under the dryer now...
Anyone with similar?

Last edited:
I've never really had an issue getting my hair cut, and I keep to myself as I'm just there to get my hair cut, nothing more, nothing less. Sometimes whoever is doing my hair will try & make some small talk, which I'll engage in, but they always focus on the task at hand.

Other than the very brief small talk, I'll greet them when I go in, tell them what I want done with my hair when I'm in the chair if needed, say Thank you after they're finished, and of course, pay then skedaddle and go about the rest of my day.

i really don't like getting my hair cut, it's like going to the dentist for me. it's the physical rather than the social stuff that i find most difficult. In the uk we're still under covid restrictions and hairdressers are closed - haven't had it done since November.

i really don't like getting my hair cut, it's like going to the dentist for me. it's the physical rather than the social stuff that i find most difficult. In the uk we're still under covid restrictions and hairdressers are closed - haven't had it done since November.

Yes. Is it painful as it is for me? Makes me uncomfortable sensory wise. Hurts when she pulls on my hair

I've never really had an issue getting my hair cut, and I keep to myself as I'm just there to get my hair cut, nothing more, nothing less. Sometimes whoever is doing my hair will try & make some small talk, which I'll engage in, but they always focus on the task at hand.

Other than the very brief small talk, I'll greet them when I go in, tell them what I want done with my hair when I'm in the chair if needed, say Thank you after they're finished, and of course, pay then skedaddle and go about the rest of my day.
So you don't feel pain? That is what I hate the most.

So you don't feel pain? That is what I hate the most.

Usually my hair gets pulled on a little, yes, but not enough to warrant any real reaction. It's just a natural part of what's being done to make the hair taut and straight to me.

I've always been incredibly sensitive to getting my hair cut. Though most of the time this is due to myself having a sensitive neck/back as the pain often goes up to my head whenever my head is pulled or handled roughly so I always tell whoever is cutting my hair to be careful.

I have not gotten my hair cut in a while. Most of my bangs go down past my chin now. My hair is several inches below my shoulders. Then again it's not like my family minds because they think me getting my hair cut out is expensive anywhere because they have to pay someone else to do it.

I always wait a long time before getting a haircut. Usually, but not always it was very painful. The feeling of my hair being pulled. I guess I'm just too sensitive.
The stylist was nervous around me. I did talk some so it wasn't like I didn't talk at all. She was definitely an extrovert. I somehow just don't blend in or get other females being friendly with me.
I could tell she wants to get me overnight as I am making her nervous.
Under the dryer now...
Anyone with similar?
I'm more social anxiety phobic and agoraphobia( ironic meaning to that phobia) about hairdressers

I'm more social anxiety phobic and agoraphobia( ironic meaning to that phobia) about hairdressers
LOL
Yes, I understand what you mean. I usually case out a place that I feel I could tolerate or feel comfortable enough. Over the years I just have learned to step out and be brave. When it is overwith, I can retreat home and recover.

ugh, I learnt to cut my own, can't stand all that 'so what are you doing on the weekend/got a boyfriend' crap. Hate looking in the mirror and ugh personal space invasion.

I could tell she wants to get me overnight as I am making her nervous.
What does this mean?

I always hated getting my hair cut, and still do. I'm very sensitive around the neck and ear, and find it just about impossible to keep still. Also, I don't like bright LED lighting in my eyes, or loud chit-chat. The last hairdresser I went to shouted across to the other customers right next to my ear and that really bothers me, too. A good haridresser, like a cab driver, should be able to sense in the customer whether they would prefer to talk or remain silent, and act accordingly.

ugh, I learnt to cut my own, can't stand all that 'so what are you doing on the weekend/got a boyfriend' crap. Hate looking in the mirror and ugh personal space invasion.

Yes, I understand what you are talking about. I usually go online and research a stylist. Then if I feel uncomfortable I hop around and find one that I can tolerate. Currently I am "visiting" so.....I can tell the stylist is not comfortable with me.
That is good that you can cut your own hair.
I know what you mean about the questions..she asked me what I was doing this weekend and I said I wasn't doing anything special. I know she was trying to make conversation. Some stylists need to talk and some are okay with silence.

Yes. Is it painful as it is for me? Makes me uncomfortable sensory wise. Hurts when she pulls on my hair
I find the whole experience uncomfortable, their hands touching me, bits of itchy hair on my face, having hair pulled, being hit by combs and stuff, and the hot air from the dryer. I sit and endure. Don't really talk much apart from trying to explain what i want. I went to one hairdresser for 20+ years before Covid, but still it was difficult. Don't know if they are still in business now.

Wish I could find a stylist that could keep their mouth from talking constantly.
All I care to say is how I want my hair done and the thank you.
When they talk and I just sit there listening, they usually ask "are you OK?"
Hate that.

I keep my eyes closed most of the time, too, as I know they can't wash it or remove any
chemicals used on it without getting water all over my face.
I ask for a towel and hold it over my eyes.
Then comes the little hairs all over my face and neck. Also hitting the ears with the comb.
That's the only thing that hurts.
I have anxiety sitting there also.

I used to teach hair styling when I worked for a modeling agency so I can cut my own.
Only if I want something special do I really need a stylist.
Haven't been to one for six years now.

To me, haircuts actually feel rather nice. I still only get it done only once a year, partially because of frugality, and partially because of lazyness.

Wish I could find a stylist that could keep their mouth from talking constantly.
All I care to say is how I want my hair done and the thank you.
When they talk and I just sit there listening, they usually ask "are you OK?"
Hate that.
I don't remember ever having that problem. Then again, small talk is not part of the culture where I live.

My mom or sister would always give me my haircuts but now they don't do it anymore. I've only been to a real hairdresser 3 times in my life and hated it so I give myself haircuts. And by giving myself a haircut I mean cutting it all off with a hair clipper. It's pretty rough and I look kinda weird for a week or two but it grows out again

My mom or sister would always give me my haircuts but now they don't do it anymore. I've only been to a real hairdresser 3 times in my life and hated it so I give myself haircuts. And by giving myself a haircut I mean cutting it all off with a hair clipper. It's pretty rough and I look kinda weird for a week or two but it grows out again

Try a Flowbee. Still hard to do on yourself, but I think it'll come out better.

New Threads

Top Bottom