• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

G.K. Chesterton?

I do. One of my favorite quotes: "The act of defending any of the cardinal virtues has today all the exhilaration of a vice." Why? Because it's dead-on accurate in society today.

Last edited:
I'm familar with his writing. At the two catholic convents I attended he was on the reading list of acceptable writers.

This is cool--other GKC fans out there!

@Magna I can see you thinking that is amazing. I love it too.
@Mia I didn't know you were Catholic! That's pretty wild. Do you mean you went to a school or do you mean that you were a novice?

My favorite book of his is The Man who was Thursday (1908) and the Ballad of the White Horse (1911); a great psychological thriller and a great epic poem. Most of his writing is great--I always hated the fact that the right-wingers have essentially co-opted his work, but I love how he was able to write & reach anyone, religious or not, and be friends of everyone. Even G.B. Shaw.

Attended two catholic convents as a student, with Ursuline and eventually Nuns of the Sacred Heart. Was raised in an orthodox catholic community of (sedevacantists) and some of my relatives are nuns and catholic priests.

My grandfather (on the paternal side) was studying to be a priest when the war broke out, and instead joined the war effort. On the maternal side there are several nuns and one priest. I would not refer to myself as catholic, I'm more of an agnostic.

That is so neat--what a wild story.

I don't hate many people but do I ever hate Sedevacantists. Their children rarely ever remain in the Church: "by their fruits thou shalt know them" has come back & bitten them on the arse.

I studied to be a priest too at one point but not with sedevacantists--with a regular batch of diocesan seminarians. That was a lot of fun but due to autism & problems with mostly emotional abuse while growing up (and being 17) I had not the ability to finish, as they wisely decided that I should be more mature before continuing. I do not think I will go back because I might have been considering the priesthood as a special interest. Not sure if that's OK or not. Wish @AutisticPriest was more active on here because he's one of the ones that does OK with it.

That is very interesting that you studied there though. Did you enjoy reading GKC's writing or was it just "meh," or whatever? I ask that because a lot of sedevacantists treat him like Conservative Fat Jesus or something & read everything like he prophesied whatever alternate reality they want to live in.

All I've read of his is The Man Who Was Thursday. I thought it was well written, and very engaging, one of those books I can't put down (but I have to because break's over). I thought the ending was a little anticlimactic though.

I love the Father Brown series on BBC. In fact, just ordered seasons 1-8 on Blu Ray dvds. I've seen all of them but still enjoy them after all these years.

New Threads

Top Bottom