1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Frustrated by threads being closed

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Xerces Blue, Aug 1, 2020 at 8:55 PM.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xerces Blue

Xerces Blue Evil Overload

So in the last 6 months or so I've seen more and more threads closed because people disagreed.

I understand if the tread is closed because the topic has been proven practically/scientifically but to stop talking about it because it makes people upset is worthy of ridicule.

That is no reason to stop talking - that's how wars start.
    "War is diplomacy by non-diplomatic means"
    or
    "When words fail use the sword"
    to close a thread is to say "there can be no more words"

Don't silence somebody because you don't agree with them or "it causes contention"
    Don't be a moral coward.

To be more clear.
    a Coward fears physical harm.
    a Moral Coward fears Emotional harm.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Mia

Mia Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I believe the idea Xerces in closing threads is related to members who report them or if the mods decide that the arguments have become too heated.

If the threads are not related to autism or of any real help on the forum to others, then they are sometimes closed. It's a forum that helps people, and some members do not like contention or stress in a place they come to for relief from everyday life and the media frenzy of the internet.

This is a privately owned forum, and the person who owns it can make any reasonable rules they decide to for the mods to enforce.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Progster

Progster Gone sideways to the sun V.I.P Member

Point one: this site is sponsered: it heeds its sponsors and the mods and site owners are worried about arguments and hostility driving the sponsors away, so the site is censored and they don't like heated arguments.

Point two: I've seen sites like the former Asperclick where there is no or little moderation, or sites with bad moderation, just look at the threads discussing Wrong Planet: threads being hijacked by the same feuding members, arguments breaking down into insults and swearing, hostility towards certain groups of people like women (apparently on WP), rude, sarcastic and biased moderators who then use their autism as an excuse for their rudeness, I've seen mods who troll and/or ban members because they don't agree a member's point of view or don't get their humour - not a pleasant place to hang out. Moderators need to be firm and decisive, but also respectful to the members, and certainly not sarcastic and rude - that's not part of their 'job description.'

A balance has to be kept somewhere.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 2:03 AM
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Alexej

Alexej Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I have seen some threads closed, and have thought about why that might be.

The moderators have been doing a great job in making this Forum what it is, IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mia

I've looked online Progster, who are the sponsors? There seems to be links to this site from the Center for disease control, Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) | CDC as well there are several references to Aspies Central, in a journal for Christianity and autism, that references Aspie central: Autism and Christianity: An Ethnographic Intervention.

Are you referring to advertising sponsors? I'm pretty sure that they cannot regulate or control the information on a privately owned website based in the United States.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Progster

Progster Gone sideways to the sun V.I.P Member

I don't know who they are, the admin knows that. Yes, advertising sponsors. I don't see who they are, because I'm in the VIP group and I don't see ads.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mw2530

mw2530 Well-Known Member

I am a bit frustrated as well. Since this is a privately owned site (according to others who have posted), I think they do have the right to lock down threads. But that does not mean I agree with the decision. I do think it is appropriate to lock down when personal attacks enter the thread. But when a thread has become a heated debate that is primarily focused on a specific topic, I think it should be allowed to continue. I get that few members, if any, come here only for the politics forum. But for those that are turned off by disagreements, they simply should avoid the politics forum.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Mia

It's also happened outside the politics forum, in many different areas of this forum. People with covert agendas, who wish to argue for the sake of their own closely held ideas or beliefs. When they begin using ad hominum attacks, that when it breaks down. It's not a fighting forum in that sense. If it remains within the boundaries of decent discussion, the thread usually remains open.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

They can and do all the time, by simply threatening to take their business elsewhere.

The bigger the advertising budget, the more clout advertisers have. Of course not every vendor is totally vulnerable to such things either.

Facebook is a publicly-traded corporation, but nevertheless a great example of how advertisers won't hesitate to take their ire out on them in the most basic of ways. They may not control or regulate content in a literal and consistent manner, but they will attempt to influence it to varying degrees. After all, "money talks". And business is business when it comes to advertising revenue...no matter what a website's content may involve.

All the Companies Quitting Facebook

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 12:20 PM
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Mia

I seriously doubt whether a heated discussion at Aspie Central would cause advertisers for things such as toothpaste to pull their advertisments. We're far too small. Mega corporations like facebook, are an different story entirely.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

Depends on who "we" really means in the aggregate. Apart from smaller scale advertisers, we may be talking about non-profit contributors as well. Those who may be more scrutinizing than you think. (See my PM)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 1:14 PM
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Jumpback

Jumpback Well-Known Member

The reality is that public opinion is very dominated by liberal ideas, so anything that may question or detract is seen as offensive, even if it isn’t. I’ve joked with some of my black neighbors how they would be safe if the police showed up and I was around because I do tend to look homeless and crazy and on drugs and my manic pacing I do outside when stressed does look like I am about to attack. It ends up sounding like racism when I try to explain, but no one who has seen me stressed out would doubt that this is reality. It just somehow sounds like intolerance and hate even when it isn’t

My other issue is a series of sexual assaults and manipulations by gays which, again, sounds like horrific hate, but it’s my trauma and no one even questions that sexual assault within gay community is worse than within straight community, but it just sounds like hate do to the politics of the moment

How Gay Men Normalize Sexual Assault

My entire adult experience is taking liberal messages very literally and getting sucked into endless things including sexual assaults and then dealing with complete dominance of liberalism on college campuses who blame and diagnose and ignore the victim for being inconvenient to the movement, also cutting off any hope for help with autism issues and seemingly any hope to have a normal life due to all the ganging up on the victim which endlessly beats me to a pulp. This is a well known issue, but explaining sounds like hate

Is Social Psychology Biased Against Republicans?

Whatever controls this site has to comply with controls and movements of the moment to keep advertisers happy, it’s worse everywhere else.

The base issue is kind of like this, where transitioned transgenders sort of support JK Rowling, but the movement even takes away the career of someone who simply dares to retweet a message

Best-selling children's author sacked after posting hashtag 'I stand with JK Rowling' on Twitter | Daily Mail Online

Facts are sometimes hate speech, someone losing their adult opportunities in life to crimes committed by minorities is hate speech. And so on. But everyone must comply, because non compliance is not an option because advertisers do not care about reality, the care about doing whatever is popular and will result in the least amount of outrage from vocal communities

13. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

Of course. America and many other nations are basically forward-moving societies on a broad spectrum. People who live in the present and dream of the future- not the past.
    Those who sincerely want to live in the past should consider getting themselves a Tardis. ;) Or be sufficiently capitalized to do their own thing very far away from others. Though I suppose the Amish reflect an exception to it all. Who seem to exist in their own world yet maintain a sense of coexistence with the outside world to a degree.

The good news of any democracy is the will of a political majority. With the bad news being that there's never any guarantee that a political majority does the right thing morally or ethically. And even in the case of a conservative Senate, Supreme Court and Executive branch none of them have particularly retarded social change. It may be exacerbated, but thing generally continue to move in one direction- forward.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 2:16 PM
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Jumpback

But the issue is that not everyone’s experiences are the same. Like Ohio, where I live has had beat up a white kid day for a long time now (I am not sure if this is as much of an issue as it was 12 years ago)

Today is Beat Up A White Kid Day in the Cleveland schools

What if a white kid who has no racism, who is a minority in their school district gets beat up for being white, should they be accused of endless things and blocked or banned for their dangerous hate for discussing their trauma?

My chances at having an normal adult life have unendingly been completely taken away and my self confidence and any sense of hope to be understood or chances for autism issue to be addressed have been completely destroyed just because crimes committed against me were inconvenient to the beliefs of the moment.

15. Jumpback

Advertisers care about money and that’s all. Any time a movement gains momentum or one side gains control advertisers are on that side. At the moment, black lives matters is ultra fantastic and anyone questioning will not get advertising dollars. It is about perceptions, not about reality

Someone posted a link where black police shot at an unarmed white man and unintentionally killed his autistic son. This does not matter at all to advertisers, mentioning this might even be questioning of the popular dollar driving movement so sites have pressure to punish individual mentioning unarmed white man was shot by black police and his autistic son was killed because it goes against the popular message, because advertising dollars are from going with the popular message and not adding in any complicating factors. Like white family and autistics being outraged and saying something is going to detract from the very clear black lives matter message and make advertisers not want to support anything that might be “hate” because it accuses black police of doing wrong, or might confuse things by questioning the popular message that the simple fact is that white police are racist.

Sites needing to comply is constantly problematic with any thing which may question. Advertisers want mass agreement and compliance with dominant social messages

16. mw2530

mw2530 Well-Known Member

I was mainly referring to disagreements within the politics forum. I'm sure disagreements have occurred in other forum's as well. With that being said, I personally have not seen many, if any hostile disagreements outside of the politics forum. I also have not seen people with "covert agendas" on here other than perhaps in the politics section. That's just been my personal experience.

The latest thread to be locked down in the politics section was not hostile, there were simply some differing opinions on a topic. There were some strong opinions, but the posts were focused on the topic. I was told that some threads are locked down when they have "run their course".

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 6:26 PM
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Jumpback

My entire adult life has been destroyed by this, unendingly.

I am forced into group therapy and I see the same thing. Black gang banger tries to talk about how molestation at an early age has confused his sexual oriention and he doesn’t know who what gender he is attracted to and left him angry and dominated his entire adult life, but he gets shut down and can’t say a word because being “made gay” by sexual molestation is the most offensive thing imaginable, but transgenders can go on and on about hate and non acceptance and receive mass support. Black guy left the group. He simply does not have the basic rights as transgender white person who gets offended when the wrong pronoun is used.

Things ain’t right, but it’s about power and control and advertisers mindlessly wanting to be on the side that is winning and no one having any interest in the torment of those whose realities question the clear social message that people and especially advertisers crave

18. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

You are on the spectrum of autism. Seems to me that you are never likely to have a truly "normal adult life" no matter what the color of your skin or sexual orientation may be. I know I never have...and I'm in my sixties.

As for the rest of it, I think you're just needlessly "spinning your wheels" complaining about unfortunate things that happened to you many simply don't want to hear in a so intensely polarized arena. But then such indifference shouldn't be anything new to you, as you probably are aware that most NTs are indifferent or unaware of the plight of autistic people.

We're in a world dominated by social, political and neurological majorities. Who tend to express themselves from a group perspective rather than an individual one. Leaving most individuals with cries that inevitably fall on deaf ears. Tragic, but it is what it is. There's a point where you just need to let go of all that negativity, and get on with your life in a more productive manner. Or you can choose to let it overwhelm you, which seems to be the case at the moment.

Reminds me of a line from a movie where Dustin Hoffman's character laments that "Blame is for God and small children". Maybe he's right. Where we just have to stop complaining and live our lives the best we can. Better than existing like a salmon, spending so much effort struggling to swim upstream only to die.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 3:25 PM
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jumpback

Try to find a gay/straight PhD researcher at a university who isn’t both gay and an lgbt advocate

This actually is a problem, though it is never seen as a problem by the group in power. And it is not seen as a problem by advertising dollars, because advertising dollars are focused on supporting the side which is winning.

20. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

Nothing is ever "simple". I as well as many others could post our struggles, but to me it seems unhelpful to constantly churn them up even to a potentially more receptive audience.

Your individual plight is certainly unfortunate, but it doesn't negate a fundamental need to advance the civil rights of so many others who didn't victimize you personally who continue to be victims themselves.

Though the more you make this thread about you personally, the more likely it may be that the thread will be closed, which seems to be an indeed frustrating pattern lately. Best to keep it all on topic, ironically regarding locked threads.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 4:02 PM
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.