• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Friendship...

Midna

Years ago, (when I was on pre-school and elementary) I often tried to make friends but failed every time. I eventually gave up and got used to being by myself and I liked it.

As I begun be teen years, I started to get depressed. and a few years ago, I lost pretty much all my emotions except the ones I don't want (anger, frustration, envyness, etc). After I got into depression, my life slowly changed and now it's nothing like it used to be (before my depression), it's like I live in a different world and everything is different. I never had a real life friend and still don't. I only have a few online friends I talk to.

One of the worst things about my depression and my life is, no matter what I say, I can't find the words to describe how terrible my life is. Every time I get into a depressed state, I always think about how life would be better by far if I just had one friend, even just one friend that would understand me and I could go visit, hang out and do stuff with.

Ever since depression, I have hated life and even was close to suicide a few times. I don't feel human anymore because I live in a world where everything I see is negative (pretty much) and different.

One thing I hate is when I see 2 or people people (especially around my age) carrying on like they known each other for years (which they probably have), having a good time and stuff. It dosen't really bother me if it's just guys, but if it's a guy and a girl or especially if it's 2 girls or more. I hate it because I never experienced anything like that before, because I never had a real life friend. If I walk into somewhere and I see it, I will probably leave and go somewhere else. Quite a few times I actually stayed and I can't help but keep looking at them and imagining that I was one of them. I try to imagine what it's like to have a friend, but it's so hard.

I've been doing that a lot in the past year or so. I would see someone who is kinda popular or is with a friend and I would try to imagine what life would be like for me if I was them.

~Midna

Welcome home. Hopefully things will get better from now on, in their own special way (not necessarily the way 'normal' people experience it).

You're not alone, although being alone can be SPLENDID too (highly authentic).

Don't give up hope. I turned 19 last December and am only starting to have a "proper" social life and friends. It's still far from perfect but at least it's something. I know what it's like to be on your own and feeling like you're in a different world with no friends. All I can say is to keep trying and hopefully things will eventually work out for you like they're starting to work out for me.

A few quick tips would be to find someone with something in common with you, like an interest. Try being nice to them, introduce yourself. You could maybe join a group or a club of a particular interest to you, for example a photography club if you like photography. That way you'll be around people that have something in common with you. These are just off the very top of my head but i'll go into it properly later - i'm actually going out with family right now.   :)

I gave up trying to make friends. I realized I didn't really need them and I can have my own fun. They had nothing in common so why be their friend? I prefer acquaintances.

I gave up trying to make friends. I realized I didn't really need them and I can have my own fun. They had nothing in common so why be their friend? I prefer acquaintances.

Because I'm tired of being a lone, I want to go out and have fun with someone and have a normal life (as normal as it gets anyway). I know it's possible but so hard to find someone! :(

~Midna

I gave up a couple of years ago. Probably a year into High School.
I don't think I really care anymore.
I think, if I tried hard enough, I'd be able to have a social life. It's just hard.
I don't know if you'd be willing to put all the effort in.
It's hard, imo, having to act normal.
I enjoy being on my own anyway. I don't feel like I can relate to anyone anymore, so I don't know why I'd want to be with them. It just makes me anxious when I'm around people.
I don't know if I can give you tips. It's sort of easy when you're in a High School environment to make friends(though, I feel I can't relate to anyone there, or not to the extent normal people can relate to normal people, and even the autistic kids I can't relate to[and thus, I don't want to be affiliated with them]), but when you don't have a job and aren't in education, it's probably hard(I'm just assuming, idk, that's you're unemployed and not in education). The last time I talked to someone for a good length of time, where a friend ship could have been possible, with someone outside of school, around a year ago now, was at the library. I sort of assumed the role of IT support for the 40 minutes or so I was there xD. But regardless, I'm not friends with her.
I'm really not in the same position as you though.
I almost actively try NOT to make friends.
EMZ=]

I'm one of the many people that is perfectly happy being alone, for the most-part. Though if you're after real life friends that aren't shallow or worthless to you, I guess I should recommend the obvious advice of joining any groups or clubs of various interests you may have. Of course, the best case scenario would be to find someone in the same boat as you (in real life). It could happen. ^_^ Stay positive.

New Threads

Top Bottom