• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Forgetting meltdowns?

KRISTEN BELT

Hello
My 9 year old son has high functioning autism, and meltdowns are part of our life. After his last meltdown, when we were trying to talk to him about it, he just looked at us kind of blankly saying he didn't remember the meltdown, or how he was feeling 30 minutes prior. This happens maybe a few times a year....where it becomes clear that he has completely blocked out the experience. Is it common to completely forget a meltdown after it has happened? It seems possible, given all the short circuiting that is happening with the brain during a meltdown but I didn't see mention of it anywhere on the internet so I'm wondering if something else is going on.
Thanks

I also have an autistic (non-verbal) son. Meltdowns are a part of our daily life too. While he can't speak, my son will go from meltdown to happy and smiling at the snap a a finger.
When I have a meltdown(rarely) I go into fits of extreme rage and often can't remember things I screamed or did. I think this is what one deems as "seeing red".
I think it really depends on how severe the meltdown is in my case. With lower functioning autistic people, there's no real telling, because communication is often an issue. I do think its much easier for my son to go into complete meltdown though. If he recalls them, I'm not sure.
I hope that your son calms someday and meltdowns become less frequent. They are the hardest on the people having them (believe it or not). I hope the same for my own son as well. Good luck!

Hey, there!

I remember when I was little, I had meltdowns pretty much every day. They could range from a few minutes to hours. And sometimes they got pretty violent. The thing is, I only know I had frequent meltdowns from my mom's account. I can only remember a few. I feel like I have a big blank space where all the other meltdowns disappeared. So, maybe that's what your son is experiencing.
Also, after having a meltdown, I didn't talk about it. I just went on like nothing happened. So, maybe he just doesn't want to talk?

Or maybe something a neurodoc should look at, just be sure there isn't some kind of temporal lobe epilepsy or something beginning to mix in with the meltdowns?

Or maybe your son feels embarrased?

Everything is a blur during meltdowns. I remember them, but the memories are mostly quite fuzzy.

New Threads

Top Bottom