• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

For Women Only

gouldgrl

Have any of you found that your Aspie symptoms are worse in relation to your menstrual cycle? For some reason, about a week or so before my period, I am even more sensitive to the usual sensory issues, and to the usual irritations with people. It's almost as if the "protective bubble" I try to keep around me during the rest of the month is no longer accessible. Of course, most women experience some form of PMS. What I'm positing is that for women on the spectrum the symptoms are related to our ASD. Can anyone corroborate this?

I don't experience PMS. I am often aware of where I am in my cycle, but I don't have any negative effects resulting from that.

image.jpg

I think I have PMS today (and yesterday and the day before that and the day before the day before that and.....) cause I'm grumpier than normal. (Grumpy Cat loves PMS)

Last edited:
Have any of you found that your Aspie symptoms are worse in relation to your menstrual cycle? For some reason, about a week or so before my period, I am even more sensitive to the usual sensory issues, and to the usual irritations with people. It's almost as if the "protective bubble" I try to keep around me during the rest of the month is no longer accessible. Of course, most women experience some form of PMS. What I'm positing is that for women on the spectrum the symptoms are related to our ASD. Can anyone corroborate this?

Every cycle is different. There are some cycles from hell, with immense headaches, backaches. But usually I am not grumpy because of that, just more tired than usual and I am taking iron now because heavy menstruation can cause deficiency. I think that helps too.

I used to have much more trouble during my cycles but I can not figure out how I improved it so much.
I improved either by: 1. taking more natural supplements
2. getting rid of my ex,hahahahahah

In general I have been told by nurses that I have a fairly high pain tolerance, so I suppose that's why the pms and cramps do not effect me a lot. My weaknesses I experience are more of the sound and light irritation, they do seem to get worse but only by a small amount. Normally when I am stressed (unrelated to periods and happens all the time) I get stressed when things aren't going fast enough or when the situation isn't making sense to me and causes a lot of unnecessary confusions. WHen that happens, than I go into what i call "WTF is going on!?" mode. Slightly elevated when the lady time is happening but my point is, it doesn't change for much.
Also I predict, since we are all different in the way we not only have periods but process our neuros, you will probably get all kinds of different answers.

I get really tired and withdrawn on the heaviest day, but not so much during PMS. Except for a serious chocolate craving starting a few days before, I'm not really affected behaviorally (that I've noticed, lol).

My PMS is that I can smell so much better. Which, if I remember correctly from another thread, is due to the extra progesterone. I think I do have an increased sensitivity to sight, sound, and touch moreso too, but it doesn't catch my attention. As far as mood swings and pain, nah, effects me the same as always.

New Threads

Top Bottom